Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I intended to detect today after getting my truck serviced. On the way to the garage I received a text from John asking if I was going detecting today.
We agreed to meet at Druid Hill Park in Baltimore City.

I made it to the park by 10:45AM and we hunted there for about an hour. I had suggested we try another spot neither of us had detected before, outside the immediate confines of the park. We gave it a good try but nothing "old" was found. We persisted and before long I got a "90" VDI shallow target that I had some trouble locating cleanly, so after not finding my target in the first hole, I dug an adjacent hole. What I found there had me calling over to John. The piece is Sterling with a dollar symbol at one end and a bezelled 1891O Morgan dollar at the other end.
MC_1891.jpg clip_parts.jpg

Once home it was discovered through examination of the piece and an on-line search that this is a money clip. The clip came out of the ground fully unfolded.
The following pic shows its shape restored.

clip_restored.jpg

Here is an example from an Internet source:

839407_view2_02.jpg jennings-sterling-silver-and-1891-silver-coin-money-clip.jpg

This is a Jennings Company piece like mine; the Jennings Company was established in Bridgeport, CT in 1890.
I do not know the age of the clip I dug today.

This is just another example of how we are always surprised by the targets we dig.

That find gave us a momentary push to continue there but we soon decided to head across town to two adjacent parks to detect for the balance of the day.

I should add here that John did well to this point with some wheats, a V-nickel and an IHC. His find continued to grow as the afternoon wore on.

At one point we were detecting near a soccer field and I had just cut a plug for a faint high-tone and noticed the soccer team had begun their jog around the field and would reach me before the extraction, so I just walked away for a bit 'til they passed and then found this Sterling 4-way Cross medal.

4_way_cross_sterling.jpg

About fifteen minutes before I dug this beauty, John pulled a silver Washington quarter from the field and some wheats.

I finished detecting at 5:30 PM and we headed over to the vehicles to look at the day's finds. Here are a couple of other keepers that I recovered today along with over $4.50 in clad.

1930_wheat.jpg 1969_Canada_nickel.jpg Stamped_4024.jpg

Any thoughts on that metal piece that's hand-stamped "4024" are welcome.
Thanks for check out the pics! HH and GL!

Last edited:
Upvote 52

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
beautiful finds, they must have looked awesome in the hole. those are cloud nine finds, you must have been floating pretty high after those. congrats on the awesome silvers:headbang:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold and silver are where you find it. Too many sites, not enough time!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very cool Morgan find, I haven't seen the silver dollar money clip before! Gongrats!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that honkin' huge silver "relic" as it has been a coin converted to a money clip. How cool is that? Any chance you'll be putting it back into service? He hee. Great digs brother.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That money clip is really awesome. :occasion14:. I'd prefer a Morgan in that state than just by itself. A coin and a relic together!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the BIG silver recovery! :notworthy:

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Professor! The piece weights 1.675 oz. The clip portion is Sterling, thus 92.5% silver and the coin, were it new, would weigh 0.943 oz. I estimate that the silver content of the clip and coin is about 1.5 oz. of silver.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks OutdoorAdv! I particularly like the coin mounting; it is non-destructive. Many coin money clips have the coin welded or glued to the clip portion.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Kurios1! Never say never, but I doubt I'd ever use it as a money clip. If I did, I'd end up leaving the cash at home because I'd be afraid I'd lose it.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks J.Cache! You don't see many money clips posted on Treasurenet. I'm sure many have been dug though.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks smokeythecat! When I told my Dad where I found the clip he said I'm making him nervous and shouldn't be in that part of Baltimore. I told him I was hunting with someone else and we both had pointy metal shovels. He wasn't convinced.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks dirtlooter! Yes, it was a day of unusual awesome finds. I stopped at the gas station before headed down to the City and looked down at the pump and spotted a damaged earring. Got it home to find it's 14K. We started off with gold and found the silver later.

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your find McCDig. Great to see you got a bucketlister. That is one nice Morgan. Looks like it was a great day to be out there the cross is definitely a keeper.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only found one silver dollar in my "career". Funny thing is, I was water hunting at a beach off what used to be a civil war prison camp! Talk about something strange looking up from the bottom of a scoop!

Congrats!

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice congrats

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an amazing find! I was just back in the Baltimore area, unfortunately I wasn't able to bring my detector so I could hunt, but bedtime! I've hunted a little in Frederick MD area last time I was there and being as I live in Oregon where we don't have much in the way of historic older coins I love it when I can hunt back East! Congrats on a great find!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like going in that city at all. Had an incident last summer I manager to speed away from, so ( as in pedal to the metal in a late model Impala)....the country cat will stay in the country.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed! There's peaceful and safer detecting in the county, though I've done most of my hunting in the city.
Dug my first many things in Baltimore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread