Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I intended to detect today after getting my truck serviced. On the way to the garage I received a text from John asking if I was going detecting today.
We agreed to meet at Druid Hill Park in Baltimore City.

I made it to the park by 10:45AM and we hunted there for about an hour. I had suggested we try another spot neither of us had detected before, outside the immediate confines of the park. We gave it a good try but nothing "old" was found. We persisted and before long I got a "90" VDI shallow target that I had some trouble locating cleanly, so after not finding my target in the first hole, I dug an adjacent hole. What I found there had me calling over to John. The piece is Sterling with a dollar symbol at one end and a bezelled 1891O Morgan dollar at the other end.
MC_1891.jpg clip_parts.jpg

Once home it was discovered through examination of the piece and an on-line search that this is a money clip. The clip came out of the ground fully unfolded.
The following pic shows its shape restored.

clip_restored.jpg

Here is an example from an Internet source:

839407_view2_02.jpg jennings-sterling-silver-and-1891-silver-coin-money-clip.jpg

This is a Jennings Company piece like mine; the Jennings Company was established in Bridgeport, CT in 1890.
I do not know the age of the clip I dug today.

This is just another example of how we are always surprised by the targets we dig.

That find gave us a momentary push to continue there but we soon decided to head across town to two adjacent parks to detect for the balance of the day.

I should add here that John did well to this point with some wheats, a V-nickel and an IHC. His find continued to grow as the afternoon wore on.

At one point we were detecting near a soccer field and I had just cut a plug for a faint high-tone and noticed the soccer team had begun their jog around the field and would reach me before the extraction, so I just walked away for a bit 'til they passed and then found this Sterling 4-way Cross medal.

4_way_cross_sterling.jpg

About fifteen minutes before I dug this beauty, John pulled a silver Washington quarter from the field and some wheats.

I finished detecting at 5:30 PM and we headed over to the vehicles to look at the day's finds. Here are a couple of other keepers that I recovered today along with over $4.50 in clad.

1930_wheat.jpg 1969_Canada_nickel.jpg Stamped_4024.jpg

Any thoughts on that metal piece that's hand-stamped "4024" are welcome.
Thanks for check out the pics! HH and GL!

Last edited:
Upvote 52

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing!.....
Never seen a money clip dug before, let alone one getting a hug from a Morgan!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Scrappy! My hunt after work today brought me back from moon orbit. Still good to get out and swing.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx BigWaveDave! Me too. Hadn't seen one dug until last Friday. Glad I was the digger.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thx OBN! Very interesting history behind Turner Station. If you need someone to ride shotgun, I'm game.

Thanks McCdig, I'll have to send you pics if I make it out alive... coming in by jetski.. so hopefully I won't see a soul.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Oneth by land and Twoeth by sea"! That's an efficient way to get in and get out. Happy Hunting!

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
McCDig, Let me know when you would like to get together over in my neck of the woods. There's a few parks we can hit as well as schools.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats sir. That is an exceptional find.. sterling and .900 in one bundle.

Wow.

Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful find. A Morgan is a Morgan and the fact that you dug it, it makes no difference if it's part of a money clip. Congratulations on the bucket lister Beautiful find. They Morgan is a Morgan and the fact that you dug it, it makes no difference if it's part of a money clip. Congratulations!

qdp diggers

May 17, 2017
Rochester ny
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that Morgan and money clip is beautiful... Great find thanks for sharing .... o could only imagine the adrenaline rush when you first played eyes on it

Sent from my SM-N920V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Jamie! That would be awesome. Thursday or Friday next week are open for me. Get back to me with what may work for you.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, I love that money clip, great finds, you are a persistent hunter, congrats!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Robert! That's the right analysis. I can't argue with success. :)

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Brad. This area needs a real good freeze and thaw to move things around. Don't think it's been detected much before.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx qdp diggers! Could kick myself for not shooting video. Had my camera and could have at least captured it "in situ". Just thought it was gonna be trash since that's what we'd been digging up to that point.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx MackinawGirl! Agreed, ranks in my top five finds of this short detecting career.:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread