Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a few hours this afternoon, went back to the early 1800s tavern/hotel site that I have been working with BedfordBob, DeArmittPA, my brother-in-law and my son. But today it was just me, and I thought I was going to get skunked. After an hour and a half there was nothing really decent in my pouch. If you have been following along the last few months, this is the same site in which 9 coppers dating between 1771 and 1807 have been found (plus one 1800 2 Real!), including DeArmitt's banner 1793 Flowing Hair Largie. To date, I personally found two of those coppers, both half cents. So I really was hoping for a Largie (or a pocket spill! :) ) before I even arrived.

Well I think I've probably found the best coin that I will find at this site. A 1794 (or 95?) Flowing Hair Half Dime! :hello2: :hello2: :headbang: :o :o :o

1794 half dime_.jpg 1794 half dime back_.jpg

When I first pulled it out of the ground, it was so small and thin that I thought it was a button. It had that tombac button look to it. But then the eagle appeared, and I noticed no shank, and soon enough the outline of the head appeared. And I found a date!!! That shocked me considering how worn this coin is after all of the years.

I'll also add a picture of a few buttons and other odds and end pieces that were found. Anyone know what the silve/chrome plated thing is? It has a patent date of August 12, 1890, maybe it was hinged on the narrow edge?

Thanks for looking!

Man, I'm still spooled up about this one!

10_11_09 finds.jpg

EDIT: Added a few newer pictures of the half dime -hoping these are a bit brighter.... :wink:

1794 half dime f.jpg 1794 half dime back f.jpg

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the kind words.... :)

This coin is going to make me smile all winter. ;D

Found a web page describing these 1794 and 1795 half dimes: http://www.coinsite.com/CoinSite-PF/PParticles/05cflowh.asp

JerDfx said:
That is one awesome coin man

You guys live in a really old county. I went to a local club yrs ago. A guy was from bedford pa. He used to talk about how old it was there. That is a rare find for sure.

Big congrats man

HH Jer

Yep, there was a lot that happened in this county.... just have to find the right spots. We stumbled into this spot by accident!!, but have since been able to verify that it was a popular site in the late 1700s/ early 1800s. And in the process we have found others of the same time frame that need to be checked. ;D

scratcher said:
Congratulations, Mach 1! Glad to see a sister to the one I found earlier this year pop up :icon_thumleft: Apparently some of George Washington's personal silver went into making the '94's. A '95 is also an awesome find, though :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just looked yours up.... WOW- that is one sweet coin! :notworthy:

S

seger98

Congratulations on a fantastic find & making the banner, well deserved!

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Son of a biscuit that is sweet! did you have to sit down for a bit after you realised what you had? that should be a banner for sure! nice work.

Chuck.

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously, I'm speechless......

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I might have missed it, but did anyone ever list an approximate value of the coin?

Amazing find, BTW, congrats!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a piece of history is in that coin. Great link and a very worthy banner.
Congratulations Sir.
TnMountains

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a stunning find. Seems like only 1 or 2 of Flowing Hair silvers are found each year. Definitely a very scarce coin and on everyone's 'want list'.

Imagine whose hands that coin may have been in at one time. Truly a priceless piece of history.

Congrats again on a once in a lifetime find !!!

Brian in MA

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Congrats on that outstanding find! And for making the banner.

Awesome coin - I'd be doing backflips for a week!!!!

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Banner Find!!! Sorry I couldn't be there to see find it but great dig. How deep was it and what did it read?

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all of your kind words. :)

Brian in MA said:
Imagine whose hands that coin may have been in at one time.

Brian in MA

That's part of the fun... wondering where this and any other artifact that is dug has been and why it ended up in the ground.... waiting for someone like us to revive it and to tell its story. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeArmitt Pa said:
Great Banner Find!!! Sorry I couldn't be there to see find it but great dig. How deep was it and what did it read?

Thanks DeArmitt.

It was about 5 inches deep, the ferrous number jumped anywhere from 10 to a 19, the conductive was fairly steady at 30 to 31. But it sounded great which is why I dug it. The little booger was hard to find in the dirt, so I was glad to see that I didn't hit it with the digger.

It was in the low grass, so there is a chance we all missed it until now!

FWIW it was found about 50 feet from where you found your Flowing Hair Largie.

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
WOW. I don't know how I missed this post. Kyle told me about it yesterday so I looked for it. That would be a nice addition to anyones collection. Congratulations. :headbang:
Chris

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest: