A General Theory Some May Wish To Explore

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all know the basic histories of JB Ward and alderman TJ Beale, two “names” intimately associated with the published narration. Given these two basic histories and both individual's presence in Richmond I think it is completely reasonable to consider that they possibly knew each other. Having said this, I also think it is perfectly reasonable to consider the possibility that TJ might have been the root of the tale, be it true of fiction, perhaps in reference to his father whose parents are still unknown today.

Even today there exist fabulous war stories about my grandfather while he was in Europe during WWI and WWII, today we still don't know if all of these stories are true but we do know that some of them were even documented by the war department so at least some of them are 100% true. Also, it was after the death of my grandmother that my dad and brother learned that they had a least one stepbrother in France somewhere, a family secret that was completely unknown to them until they were much later in life. So when I suggest that TJ Beale of Richmond might have been the product of this same type of thing I'm speaking from family experience, my father's step brother that you'll never directly connect to his family tree through even modern day ancestry searches. No doubt there are many more true stories just like this one so why couldn't it possibly be true in regards to the Beale narration as well? We know for a fact that many children were brought into this world during the Beale era under these exact same type of circumstances, also that within slave owners, etc.

The narration identifies the story as being “a family secret” that was confined to a limited circle and one true and trusted friend. So why couldn't JB Ward have been that friend? From everything I have researched over the years I think such a scenario is completely possible, if not even probable. This would explain quite a bit of the noted discrepancies in the narration and also the reason for the author having removed his name from the publication. It would also explain how Ward became the agent for the publication, the acting middleman between interested inquiries and the true nature and source of the tale.

Now then, if the above scenario is even somewhat accurate then an entirely new path of research has to be conducted, and let us not forget that there are also many new questions that have to be considered. First, if the scenario is on course then does the story carry any measure of truth, or, is it just a story that the Richmond Beale had been told and that he firmly believed to be true? Hard to say and as of today there is no way that we can answer this. However, if the above scenario is close to home then what about those letters and ciphers, how were all of these entered into the story and how did the TJ Beale of Richmond come to cuddle them? The answer to this question might rest in that same era when the lock was said to have been broken off of the iron box, this taking place at just about the same time that Ward became involved in the settling of his father's estate, his father having been a lawyer and a man bound by oath to keep secrets. So is it possible that JB Ward learned of the affair then, while sorting through his father's estate? Maybe, maybe not, but it is a possibility that would have to be considered.

As for Giles Ward, this curious sidebar, through various record databases we learn that a routine portion of his legal practice was involved in mining affairs. How ironic is this.......

So there you go, just another theory to toss into the mix, but a theory that I feel could be quite possible, if not probable.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
We all know the basic histories of JB Ward and alderman TJ Beale, two “names” intimately associated with the published narration. Given these two basic histories and both individual's presence in Richmond I think it is completely reasonable to consider that they possibly knew each other. Having said this, I also think it is perfectly reasonable to consider the possibility that TJ might have been the root of the tale, be it true of fiction, perhaps in reference to his father whose parents are still unknown today.

Even today there exist fabulous war stories about my grandfather while he was in Europe during WWI and WWII, today we still don't know if all of these stories are true but we do know that some of them were even documented by the war department so at least some of them are 100% true. Also, it was after the death of my grandmother that my dad and brother learned that they had a least one stepbrother in France somewhere, a family secret that was completely unknown to them until they were much later in life. So when I suggest that TJ Beale of Richmond might have been the product of this same type of thing I'm speaking from family experience, my father's step brother that you'll never directly connect to his family tree through even modern day ancestry searches. No doubt there are many more true stories just like this one so why couldn't it possibly be true in regards to the Beale narration as well? We know for a fact that many children were brought into this world during the Beale era under these exact same type of circumstances, also that within slave owners, etc.

The narration identifies the story as being “a family secret” that was confined to a limited circle and one true and trusted friend. So why couldn't JB Ward have been that friend? From everything I have researched over the years I think such a scenario is completely possible, if not even probable. This would explain quite a bit of the noted discrepancies in the narration and also the reason for the author having removed his name from the publication. It would also explain how Ward became the agent for the publication, the acting middleman between interested inquiries and the true nature and source of the tale.

Now then, if the above scenario is even somewhat accurate then an entirely new path of research has to be conducted, and let us not forget that there are also many new questions that have to be considered. First, if the scenario is on course then does the story carry any measure of truth, or, is it just a story that the Richmond Beale had been told and that he firmly believed to be true? Hard to say and as of today there is no way that we can answer this. However, if the above scenario is close to home then what about those letters and ciphers, how were all of these entered into the story and how did the TJ Beale of Richmond come to cuddle them? The answer to this question might rest in that same era when the lock was said to have been broken off of the iron box, this taking place at just about the same time that Ward became involved in the settling of his father's estate, his father having been a lawyer and a man bound by oath to keep secrets. So is it possible that JB Ward learned of the affair then, while sorting through his father's estate? Maybe, maybe not, but it is a possibility that would have to be considered.

As for Giles Ward, this curious sidebar, through various record databases we learn that a routine portion of his legal practice was involved in mining affairs. How ironic is this.......

So there you go, just another theory to toss into the mix, but a theory that I feel could be quite possible, if not probable.
Tell us MORE about the "Curious Sidebar" re. Giles Ward & "Mining Affairs"; NEVER heard of it...

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Then again, it all could be a reference to the Thomas Beale, who was a Vestryman of Bruton Church in Williamsburg.
This Beale may have held the secret key to Nathaniel Bacon's secret 10 foot vault, buried 16 feet below the cemetery of the Bruton Parish Church that held all wonders of treasure.
The punctilio of this is that the manner in which the Beale Papers were written and the lack of outside collaborating evidence that supports the Beale story, leaves it wide open for many different and opposing theories to be brought forth.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well... wife & I were in Williamsburg, Va.; saw the Bruton Parish Church "dig"... listened to group from Arizona do a lecture about it; was NOT impressed. Move ON, folks! NOTHING to see here... (MHO). BTW, I HAVE read Mrs. Hall's "take" on it (have the booklet).

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, could be many things. I'm just sharing a theory that, to me at least, seems a reasonable possibility.

The problem is that there is absolutely nothing to verify the nature of the story one way or the other, all be we do know that several discrepancies in the narration do exist. But even these don't serve to verify the true nature of the narration. And so it is what it is......

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
One question that arises with the freeman born of color, Alderman Thomas J Beale, Jackson Ward, Richmond theory, is this:
What purpose do the ciphers serve, and what would they reveal, surely not the "treasure" mentioned in the Beale letter?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One question that arises with the freeman born of color, Alderman Thomas J Beale, Jackson Ward, Richmond theory, is this:
What purpose do the ciphers serve, and what would they reveal, surely not the "treasure" mentioned in the Beale letter?

Who can say? However, we do know that they can be made to say anything, if that helps. :laughing7:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Well its your current proposed theory, thought you could present a reasonable possibility of what the ciphers would contain.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Drinking my "Java" here; Beale Ciphers 1 & 3 are USELESS, just RUSES. ONLY Beale Cipher 2 is important as DOI. In terms of a "Free-Black" Alderman Thomas J. Beale of Jackson Ward in Richmond, Va., it COULD be similar to TJ's "ALL Men are EQUAL", with the "Pursuit of Happiness"... YET! THAT is ANOTHER Document. REBELS used the DOI for SUCCESSION from the UNION; Free-Blacks used it for SUCCESSION from SLAVERY... WHAT did I put in my coffee...? Heh...

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... I'm just sharing a theory that, to me at least, seems a reasonable possibility....
The Beale perilous adventure takes place 1817-1823, Alderman Thomas J Beale of Jackson Ward , Richmond was born in 1823.
Yes, a reasonable possibility when you consider time travel.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beale perilous adventure takes place 1817-1823, Alderman Thomas J Beale of Jackson Ward , Richmond was born in 1823.
Yes, a reasonable possibility when you consider time travel.

Where have I ever stated that the Thomas J. Beale of Richmond was the Thomas J. Beale of the 1817-1822 adventure? :laughing7: Never once even suggested that. In fact, all I have ever suggested is, (this time in bold hoping it will help), "it is possible that the Thomas j. Beale of Richmond might have been the source behind the tale and that Ward knew him."

And once more, in bold again, "it is possible that the Thomas j. Beale of Richmond might have been the source behind the tale and that Ward knew him."
Buddy, this is the best I can do for you. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where have I ever stated that the Thomas J. Beale of Richmond was the Thomas J. Beale of the 1817-1822 adventure? :laughing7: Never once even suggested that. In fact, all I have ever suggested is, (this time in bold hoping it will help), "it is possible that the Thomas j. Beale of Richmond might have been the source behind the tale and that Ward knew him."

And once more, in bold again, "it is possible that the Thomas j. Beale of Richmond might have been the source behind the tale and that Ward knew him."
Buddy, this is the best I can do for you. :thumbsup:

“African Americans worked over time to design and construct many of the buildings in Jackson Ward. The Adams family of builders constructed the house at 304 West Leigh Street in the 1850s. They also donated the land and built Ebenezer Baptist Church in 1858 at 214 West Leigh Street. About half a dozen African American builders worked in Jackson Ward at any give time during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. One of these, George Boyd, built the Maggie Walker House in 1888, now a National Park Service administered National Historic Site, as well as the original portion of the 1884 Sixth Mount Zion Church. In the 20th century, black architects John Lankford of Washington, D.C. and Richmonders Charles Russell and Harvey Johnson began to design buildings in the neighborhood. The only surviving building by Lankford is the Taylor Mansion of 1909 at 526 North 2nd Street, reputed to be the largest home commissioned by an African American in the United States up to that time. A number of buildings by Russell survive, including the Richmond Beneficial Insurance Company Building of 1912 at 700 North 2nd Street, the Hughes House of 1915 at 510 St. James Street, and the Masonic Lodge of 1911 at 10 East Leigh Street. Johnson, a protégé of Russell, designed the house at 102 West Jackson Street in 1919.”

Hmmmmm.........:laughing7: Just saying.......given the current circumstances, very curious that a Masonic Lodge was in the Jackson Ward district of Richmond even before it "officially became" Jackson Ward. Ward joined the Dove Lodge in Richmond and Thomas J. Beale was an alderman of Jackson Ward. Coincidence? Perhaps. Perhaps not. But personally, I seriously doubt it's all a coincidence. :thumbsup:

Hey Reb, do you have anything on this lodge and it's continued service? Was this possibly the location of the Dove Lodge that Ward eventually joined?

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As to the "J" in the name Thomas J. Beale, and how it might possibly relate to the narration, per example as this was quite a common event back in the day;

William H. Cabell (December 16, 1772 — January 12, 1853) was a Virginia politician and judge aligned with the Democratic-Republican party. He served as Member of the Assembly, as Governor of Virginia, and as judge on what later became the Virginia Supreme Court. Cabell adopted his middle initial, which did not stand for anything, in 1795, to distinguish himself from other William Cabells, including his uncle William Cabell Sr. and first cousin William Cabell Jr.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP]

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
“... In the 20th century, black architects John Lankford of Washington, D.C. and Richmonders Charles Russell and Harvey Johnson began to design buildings in the neighborhood. The only surviving building by Lankford is the Taylor Mansion of 1909 at 526 North 2nd Street, reputed to be the largest home commissioned by an African American in the United States up to that time. A number of buildings by Russell survive, including the Richmond Beneficial Insurance Company Building of 1912 at 700 North 2nd Street, the Hughes House of 1915 at 510 St. James Street, [/I]and the Masonic Lodge of 1911 at 10 East Leigh Street. Johnson, a protégé of Russell, designed the house at 102 West Jackson Street in 1919.”

...given the current circumstances, very curious that a Masonic Lodge was in the Jackson Ward district of Richmond even before it "officially became" Jackson Ward. Ward joined the Dove Lodge in Richmond and Thomas J. Beale was an alderman of Jackson Ward. Coincidence? Perhaps. Perhaps not. But personally, I seriously doubt it's all a coincidence...
Dove Lodge # 51 received its charter, December 10, 1850.
Notice that the Masonic Lodge to which is mentioned in this quote was built in 1911.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
“African Americans worked over time to design and construct many of the buildings in Jackson Ward. The Adams family of builders constructed the house at 304 West Leigh Street in the 1850s. They also donated the land and built Ebenezer Baptist Church in 1858 at 214 West Leigh Street. About half a dozen African American builders worked in Jackson Ward at any give time during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. One of these, George Boyd, built the Maggie Walker House in 1888, now a National Park Service administered National Historic Site, as well as the original portion of the 1884 Sixth Mount Zion Church. In the 20th century, black architects John Lankford of Washington, D.C. and Richmonders Charles Russell and Harvey Johnson began to design buildings in the neighborhood. The only surviving building by Lankford is the Taylor Mansion of 1909 at 526 North 2nd Street, reputed to be the largest home commissioned by an African American in the United States up to that time. A number of buildings by Russell survive, including the Richmond Beneficial Insurance Company Building of 1912 at 700 North 2nd Street, the Hughes House of 1915 at 510 St. James Street, and the Masonic Lodge of 1911 at 10 East Leigh Street. Johnson, a protégé of Russell, designed the house at 102 West Jackson Street in 1919.”

Hmmmmm.........:laughing7: Just saying.......given the current circumstances, very curious that a Masonic Lodge was in the Jackson Ward district of Richmond even before it "officially became" Jackson Ward. Ward joined the Dove Lodge in Richmond and Thomas J. Beale was an alderman of Jackson Ward. Coincidence? Perhaps. Perhaps not. But personally, I seriously doubt it's all a coincidence. :thumbsup:

Hey Reb, do you have anything on this lodge and it's continued service? Was this possibly the location of the Dove Lodge that Ward eventually joined?
THAT was in the "Black" section of "town", (Richmond, Va.). It would have been a PRINCE HALL Masonic Lodge for BLACK Freemasons; check PRINCE HALL Grand Lodge for that "period of time". HH! Good Luck!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THAT was in the "Black" section of "town", (Richmond, Va.). It would have been a PRINCE HALL Masonic Lodge for BLACK Freemasons; check PRINCE HALL Grand Lodge for that "period of time". HH! Good Luck!

Well, I can see where this could get complicated; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Hall_Freemasonry

Apparently, the Prince Hall chapters were, and I quote, "predominately" African Americans, which is to say most of them, but not all. Also, not real certain just how "black" this region was in the beginning, say 1810-1811, etc.? Too bad the article doesn't actually identify the lodge in more detail. Masonic Lodge is rather broad. I wonder who all belonged to this particular lodge over the years leading up the 1880's?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, you would have to be a member with paid up dues; then you ask Bro. Secretary to review minutes of the Lodge meetings, back then. NOT open to non-members... "google" Prince Hall Masonic Lodges in Richmond, Va. HH! Good Luck!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
If you want info on Dove Lodge # 51 in Richmond, Va., just "google" it; ALREADY "posted" the address on 9th Street & Main. (Near Virginia Governor's Mansion on 9th Street; south of VCU & west of MCV). Very nice area, YEARS ago...

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Where have I ever stated that the Thomas J. Beale of Richmond was the Thomas J. Beale of the 1817-1822 adventure? :laughing7: Never once even suggested that. In fact, all I have ever suggested is, (this time in bold hoping it will help), "it is possible that the Thomas j. Beale of Richmond might have been the source behind the tale and that Ward knew him."...

So, what are you "suggesting" what might have been the purpose of the Beale story - the buffalo hunt, the discovery of gold and silver, the trade for jewelry, the treasure vault, the involvement of Morriss, the ciphers - if Alderman Thomas J Beale of Jackson Ward told this tale to James Beverly Ward and have Ward act as agent for copyright?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions