OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, what are you "suggesting" what might have been the purpose of the Beale story - the buffalo hunt, the discovery of gold and silver, the trade for jewelry, the treasure vault, the involvement of Morriss, the ciphers - if Alderman Thomas J Beale of Jackson Ward told this tale to James Beverly Ward and have Ward act as agent for copyright?

Not sure exactly, but possibly something along those lines. Could be, for unknown reasons, that the T.J. Beale of Richmond believed the story, perhaps maybe a family tale passed down to him, or something along those lines? The real issue for me isn't weather the narration or any part of it is true, but rather the source itself? Regardless what one believes the case might actually be the way I see is that the only way to even begin to put a remedy on the situation is to determine/confirm the actual source first. Might not even be possible to do but I'll keep tooling down a new road now and then to see where they might lead. Who knows, might just get lucky and stumble onto to something worth finding?

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you do concur that the Beale story, as written and published , is a work of fiction.

For me, that isn't quite so black and white as it is for you. To me, "a work of fiction" is something that was intended to be fiction right from the very start. However, what if the author thought he was telling a true narration and that some of his details were accurate? So for me, I can't concur that "as written", "the narration is a work of fiction." A difference of perspectives, perhaps, but to me, a very fair and just difference.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
No matter the original intent, even if some details may be true, or inspiration taken from a family event, if the story on the whole is not true, it is, a work of fiction, no matter the perspective applied.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter the original intent, even if some details may be true, or inspiration taken from a family event, if the story on the whole is not true, it is, a work of fiction, no matter the perspective applied.

Well, on this we'll just have to live with a difference of perspective on this issue. :notworthy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread