A GUIDE TO VAULT TREASURE HUNTING (Condensed)

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a few right in the bottoms, I set up on the hillside above and shot down on to them. They are harder to pinpoint than shooting straight out. The further away you get as well, makes things more straight out.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
Also if you have them in the canyon bottom, there will likely be stuff up on the hillsides usually that you can catch an aura on. Many times the main markers are in the canyon bottoms and they tell you to leave the bottom of the wash/drainage and go up the hillside from there.

OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Q, how close did you catch the auras?

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
300-600 feet I have caught many, My best 2 about a 1/2 mile or so. But I caught one maybe 50- 75 feet away on a random cell phone photo.

-The ones in canyon bottom were about 300 feet away.

Last edited:

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I forgot, my buddy got one from about 90 -100 feet away shooting downhill on his own property with a gopro. It was a large pvc pipe cache with regular coins from the 80's that his dad buried 30 years ago. He didn't know it was it there and we eventually hit it with a detector about 10 feet from the aura if you measured the 10 or so feet as a 2d image grid of the picture instead of real ground distance.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
300-600 feet I have caught many, My best 2 about a 1/2 mile or so. But I caught one maybe 50- 75 feet away on a random cell phone photo.

-The ones in canyon bottom were about 300 feet away.

I forgot, my buddy got one from about 90 -100 feet away shooting downhill on his own property with a gopro. It was a large pvc pipe cache with regular coins from the 80's that his dad buried 30 years ago. He didn't know it was it there and we eventually hit it with a detector about 10 feet from the aura if you measured the 10 or so feet as a 2d image grid of the picture instead of real ground distance.

This is interesting, Q. So would you say that these "Auras" are of the David V. type, since Sandy1 claims it's impossible to catch his type "Auras" unless you're far away?

Edited to add: Do you know the appx. time of day your buddy's photo showing the aura was taken?

Last edited:
OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
DITLIHI I think you need to learn how to read, I said you cannot catch a complete aura when your too close DO NOT MISQUOTE ME AGAIN.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DITLIHI I think you need to learn how to read, I said you cannot catch a complete aura when your too close DO NOT MISQUOTE ME AGAIN.

CDS, Most people could never ever get within a hundred feet of a treasure with the markers alone especially trying to find the markers through the trees, so using David V's method and getting an aura really close would be the same as just using a metal detector (meaning the spot is already nearly pinpointed), the entire reason I showed how to catch auras from a distance is because that is the only way the majority of people will ever be able to get within a hundred feet of a buried treasure.

Since the auras are so hard to catch trying to pinpoint an aura by being close up using my method is just not feasible, however using David V's method (catching auras close up) may work out for you as that is basically what he shows.

You cannot catch a complete aura when you get too close.

My bad. Didn't realize Quinoa's buddy only captured a "partial" aura.

So, Quinoa, was it only a partial aura in the photo? Just for clarifications sake... ?

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No they aren't anything like the David V type. I think he uses filters and stuff anyways, I don't even know if his method works. I wouldn't filter anything. I would test different ways to do long shutter exposures during the morning and afternoon if I was to take the time and find another way.

We already knew we were likely too close to get a good solid pinpointable aura , but sometimes you just do what you can. It was one of the wackiest auras I've seen. I can't really categorize it. So no it wasn't what I would call normal at all, and it was hard to figure where it was jumping out from. We dug a huge hole about 12 x12 wide x 8 foot deep over where it looked like it came from , and then went back with a metal detector and hit it about 3-4 foot off on the side of the hole we dug in about 2 feet of ground.

We were after a different type cache that we were hoping for an aura on and didn't metal detect anything directly by the aura on the first scan, so we just decided to dig based on the aura itself and took a best guess. He had some old markers on his property but they were moved during when they were building and leveling stuff for a horse corral and water well many years back, so it was a lot of guess work for finding the other type cache. After finding the pvc thing we were pretty tired and deflated and decided we would be better off working on auras somewhere else. There's alot of time and planning involved on a single dig even if it's on your own property. We just didn't want to waste any more of our time there when we had other better auras elsewhere that were taken from further out with markers that weren't pushed around by a dozer. The whole thing was more of a learning experience than anything else.

Edit: I think he took it in the afternoon, but I can't recall.

Last edited:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No they aren't anything like the David V type. I think he uses filters and stuff anyways, I don't even know if his method works. I wouldn't filter anything. I would test different ways to do long shutter exposures during the morning and afternoon if I was to take the time and find another way.

We already knew we were likely too close to get a good solid pinpointable aura , but sometimes you just do what you can. It was one of the wackiest auras I've seen. I can't really categorize it. So no it wasn't what I would call normal at all, and it was hard to figure where it was jumping out from. We dug a huge hole about 12 x12 wide x 8 foot deep over where it looked like it came from , and then went back with a metal detector and hit it about 3-4 foot off on the side of the hole we dug in about 2 feet of ground.

We were after a different type cache that we were hoping for an aura on and didn't metal detect anything directly by the aura on the first scan, so we just decided to dig based on the aura itself and took a best guess. He had some old markers on his property but they were moved during when they were building and leveling stuff for a horse corral and water well many years back, so it was a lot of guess work for finding the other type cache. After finding the pvc thing we were pretty tired and deflated and decided we would be better off working on auras somewhere else. There's alot of time and planning involved on a single dig even if it's on your own property. We just didn't want to waste any more of our time there when we had other better auras elsewhere that were taken from further out with markers that weren't pushed around by a dozer. The whole thing was more of a learning experience than anything else.

Edit: I think he took it in the afternoon, but I can't recall.

Thank you!

In Deep

Nov 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will let you decide, look at 1697 as those are the buried markers carved at the crisscross spot, I have dug up everything from hearts to birds heads, so they are definitely shaped, if your asking whether they look like the Peralta stones the answer is no.

Here is another marker I dug up.

View attachment 1492951

Does this look familiar
IMG_1196 (2).JPG

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I related earlier in this thread the evidence I saw from a Gyro Gearloose pal back in the 80s re the Polaroid SX70 aura capture method. These were all close shots - 50/100 feet as I recall. This trick was film type specific - it had to be SX70 film. It had something to do with the specific silver compounds used in that old film pack.

IMO, if your electronic camera is pointed in the proper direction, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to replicate a close range sandy-type aura in the same location as seen from a longer distance. That makes sense if you figure that the flash is caused by a plasma burst reacting to a conductor and causing a short term electromagnetic field. It seems intuitive that you ought to get an even stronger image up close if the source of the flash was a nearby object of some sort.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It would seem that way , and that's what I would have logically thought as well, but it's not. There's sweet spot for catching the best ones perhaps 500 feet to a half mile and shooting straight away into a hillside. even in the 300-600 foot range you will get a lot of whacky ones that you can't do anything with. You can occasionally catch them closer , they just get harder to locate. When you cover more area, you have a much better chance of getting them. The in close pvc one we got after about 30000 photos or so. There were 1 or 2 other possible ones we got but they happened during a bug hatch so we decided to throw them out..

We later set up once from about 1/2 mile pointed at another part of his property and got quite a few just off his property and one incredible one that we may work sometime that we didn't anticipate would be there. He lives near a major landmark in the area, if I showed a photo of it about a half million people would recognize it. It's coming out of the bottom edge of the landmark and is a very, very old one judging from how it's marked.. Alot of these are tunneled, which is also why the aura can be hard to track down because you will have to find the entrance or basically mine the hillside.

So yes in closer you can catch something if you are willing to shoot alot of photos, but you may not be able to use it. Sandy1 is just cutting to the chase and giving you the best or preferred option and trying to save you a lot of headaches.

Crosse De Sign

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2013
~: Ancient Sacred Spirit Lands Of Our Fathers' :~
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ~ TM800 ~
Primary Interest:
Other
Since the auras are so hard to catch trying to pinpoint an aura by being close up using my method is just not feasible, however using David V's method (catching auras close up) may work out for you as that is basically what he shows.

I think it's possible to use the camera's like you do,
just closer. If it's in an area laden with all the right
markers. There's the possibility to have one appear.

Use the same operation, and with the 6mp, & the
viewing for results, possibly would likely be a better
resolution, closer. Just not the possibility of catching
multiple auras, but if the camera is happening to be
pointed in the right direction, & operates right when
an aura flashes up, it's possible to figure out where
it came up from if it's in the open, rather than back
behind something else, which would be tougher to
try and find, unless maybe a large coil showed it,
in coordination with every thing else in searching.

Just thoughts, of how the distance issue may be
overcome. May be more difficult, but workable.
For me, it's well worth trying, & since markers
crossing are not necessarily the definite spot.

You cannot catch a complete aura when you get too close.

sandy1,

Yes I understand, as you must know, about
being too close, and will keep that in mind.
I realize theoretical, and practical do differ.
Thanks for the advice & positive discussion.

Don't disagree about the method sandy1 uses,
in his open areas. Will keep experimenting with
the cameras & technique though, in closer space.

This is for good reasons & because of necessity,
and keeping in mind the whole aura may not be
seen, if up close or obstructed, and if the same
kind of large aura flared up from Spanish vault. :sunny:

Last edited:
OP
OP
sandy1

sandy1

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I just added new info and an aura that my dad had caught back in 98 to my highlighted Technical guide (not online) (this will clear up all the questions your having about how far back you need to be to capture the entire aura.) which I will send to the guys that have supported me just email me and I will send it to you.

Last edited:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just added new info and an aura that my dad had caught back in 98 to my highlighted Technical guide (not online) (this will clear up all the questions your having about how far back you need to be to capture the entire aura.) which I will send to the guys that have supported me just email me and I will send it to you.

Very effective way to evade public scrutiny and possible exposure to intellectual debate. Kudos. :icon_thumright:

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Or maybe he's just tired of some people using his thread to play games with and pick apart and read things into every post looking for chances to stir up trouble.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or maybe he's just tired of some people using his thread to play games with and pick apart and read things into every post looking for chances to stir up trouble.

Could be, Q., in which case a public forum would probably not be the best choice for someone who has thin skin or whose opinions can't stand up under scrutiny. Yet thousands continue to post their opinions, and offer it up to the masses with no compunction. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread