A handful of colonial coins, my best early artillery button and a pair of 12-pdrs.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had an interesting detecting week. In 3 hunts managed a good variety of early coins and relics.

The first two hunts were relatively slow as I was hitting one of my old sites but I still managed to get two 12 pounder cannonballs to add to my collection.
The first one was extremely deep. At least at the depth of 2 pinpointers. The second one wasn't very far away (also at a considerable depth) but I've only found it on the second hunt.
20180610_094250.jpg20180606_192756.jpg
20180610_094435.jpg20180610_095038.jpg

On the third day, hit a potential home site I had explored a bit before but couldn't locate the spot the house was standing. I had a strange feeling some relics and coins were lurking underneath the ground as I would occasionally find a flat button or a small buckle. Than, the Hallelujah moment. One after the other, pulled a bunch of early colonial coins (7 in total), five George III 1770's Halfpennies and two Spread eagle tokens 1814, all in a very decent condition.
20180611_090053.jpg
20180611_081331.jpg20180611_081315.jpg
20180611_085634.jpg20180611_085648.jpg

And than, the cherry on the cake, my best preserved 1780's British officers artillery button. In an amazing condition for a dug example.
20180611_212819.jpg

A bunch of flat and Dandy buttons.
20180611_085213.jpg

And a bit of a surprise. A copper and stone (or glass) ring. That site having zero modern junk I assume it's from the same period.
20180611_085252.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

Upvote 59
Awesome finds and sweet button. The one i found was still in great shape but no gilt left on it unfortunately. Congrats! [emoji2][emoji106]

Thanks K1DDO. I have recently found a large artillery in a great shape but without guild. This one was a big surprise as I have never seen them before.

A cannonball would be a sweet addition to a collection. That's pretty deep ha. Very nice looking old coppers too. Woot!

Thanks.
I have way over a dozen of different size cannonballs, but every time I find an other one I'm as excited as when I've found my first one.

We had one of those cannon balls rolling around in our house where I grew up, never really thought about it, other then it was kinda cool, I must ask the family what happened to it, someone probably snagged it and has it stashed somewhere. I will get a picture if its still around.

We had one of those cannon balls rolling around in our house where I grew up, never really thought about it, other then it was kinda cool, I must ask the family what happened to it, someone probably snagged it and has it stashed somewhere. I will get a picture if its still around.

Yes. For sure. Look if it has a broad arrow on it, could be very interesting.

Can't add much more adulation than what's been shared, but I will add that I find the idea that the ring is from the same era to be as exciting as the coins, even if it's not of precious metal and stone. Something about finding a piece that someone last wore some 200 years ago, give or take, that makes a strong connection to the find.

Congrats on all these and cheers to your continued success so you can show us more! :occasion14:

Great group of finds. Love the Artillery button and the 12 pounders. That's a pretty good copper day too. I'm womderimg if the 1771 is a Machins Mills?

Thanks Steve. I'm not that familiar with Machin's Mills coins but it could be possible.

Fantastic finds...i really like that button

Thanks. I actually thought at first it was some modern stuff. Couldn't believe it could be in such a great condition after more than 200 years in the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back