A hands off Cleaning method I tried-on Silver,Nickles,Copper,and Clad

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried a coin cleaning method I read about and was impressed by the pics in the article.....Link to the article /with the full
instructions is at the bottom of this page.......................

I first tried cleaning my finds from yesterday, 45 Mems,some clad Quarters,and dimes, a copper token and 2 Wheat cents,..........Then I tried it on buffalos,mercs,and an IH...........Some of the better looking one in these pics I scrubbed with a tooth brush and baking soda.............just after this soak..........the two wheaties came out great.....but a little dull so i wiped on a dab of (Shooters Choice "FP 10) Gun Lub.....Looks great now..........

The first pic is of the old "Soak in Distilled water for 2 weeks ,and scrub with baking soda method....
OldCleanMethod.jpg

Here are 'Before and After' pics of the clad finds from yesterday........................

B4Cleaning.jpg

CopyofB4Cleaning.jpg

..........................>>>>>>>>>>>>>> A F T E R P I C >>>>>>>>>>>>>>..............................

B-AfterCleaning.jpg

.........>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Before Cleaning....IH< Mercs, Buffalos, and Clad Junk <<<<<<<<<<<<............

CoinCleaningMethod.jpg

..........>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>A F T E R Cleaning....IH< Mercs, Buffalos, and Clad Junk <<<<<<<<<<<<............

CoinCleaningMethodAFTER.jpg

.................Ingredeints............................................................................................................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

000_0897.jpg

000_0898.jpg

000_0899.jpg

......................................................................................................................................................................................
.....................................................................................................................................................................................
Sorry I had forgot to scan the pics of all those 45 Mems......they came out pretty good tho.....except the curroded zincs....but after cleaning I could read the date at least......................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................
......Here is the link to that article with full instructions and more pro pics.............................................................................

.............http://scottybuck.home.att.net/crg/clean.htm.........................................

cgw007

Greenie
Apr 23, 2005
Altoona ,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Minelab CTX3030
I use this method on most of my finds and you can get very good results. Some times you have to repeat the process. After I wash them in warm water to remove the washing soda. As for better results DO NOT USE GENERIC ALUMINUM FOIL. Use good brand name heavy duty. I get much better results. I have had coins that you could not tell what they were and after a few soaks they were clean and you could see all the details. I also drop them in olive oil after the warm water rinse just to protect them from mositure. Make sure it is arm & hammer washing soda and not baking soda also. There is a difference. It can be found in the laundry detergent section.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kansas, Nice site there. I added it to my growing THing favorites list. Thanks.

Ed

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Dave, good post.

I think there are about as many cleaning methods as there are THers ;D

I have my own that I've contrived over the past 10 years of so. You name it, I've tried it (in one form or another).

The tip above about using name brand foil for this process is very good. Also, very clean bare aluminum pans work fairly well.

All of these electrolysis methods are very interesting. There's so much you can do with electrolysis:

1. clean
2. age or tone
3. fill pits
4. restore patina

the list goes on and on.

I can take a silver coin and within seconds via the electrolysis method make it so an expect would swear that coin was buried for 100 years!

This is all a lot of fun :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions