Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hal,

Since you didn't mention the three family names, it is more of a riddle than I, personally, have the mental energy for.

Good luck,

Joe

Understandable.
I am exhausted from it myself.
Tumlinson you know.
I posted the article about Augustus and his stone tablets. His last name shouldn't be needed to see the pattern and I am only holding it back to protect the families privacy.
The third name is Arnold.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Hal Croves wrote
So, oroblanco, I want to ask your thoughts on this pattern that is emerging. The decedents of two families with similar histories finding their way to the Phoenix area and becoming involved in treasure hunting. Both using some type of coded map which just happens to be inscribed into stone tablets. In your opinion, is this simply a coincidence?

If so, what if I were to tell you that there is yet another family name to add to that list? Would that influence your opinion or change the odds in your mind? Actually, there is another name and while I am not 100% clear on a connection to stone maps in the SMM, the decedent of this particular family is someone that we lovers of history are well familiar with. Most of us anyway.

Three southern families names with deeply rooted southern principles, a documented Masonic involvement, a similar migration history, and a taste for hidden treasure in the Superstitions. And I am not writing about the Holmes family. Not yet anyway. There seems to be quite a few skeptics on TNet that consider this heap of facts irrelevant yet, they are at a loss to explain it.

What do you think based on the information in this thread?
In your mind, is the pattern merely coincidental?
Looking forward to your reply either way. : )

Well it would be premature to make conclusions before you have finished presenting the case wouldn't it? You have done a super job of researching the Tumlinson roots BTW, have to admit that I never thought to dig into the family history beyond Travis and the immediate relatives.

Not sure what the other family you might be referring to may be, does the name start with a "P" and sound somewhat similar to Peralta? (And also involves a real court case concerning treasure in the Superstition mountains?) Otherwise I would have guessed Holmes.

I started writing this reply at lunch, and now see a new post:
<Hal Croves also wrote>
I am exhausted from it myself.
Tumlinson you know.
I posted the article about Augustus and his stone tablets. His last name shouldn't be needed to see the pattern and I am only holding it back to protect the families privacy.
The third name is Arnold.

Well I would not have guessed Arnold, and should have picked up on the other name from the article posted. I was pretty far off the track.

Also not sure how much weight or emphasis to put on a family history, especially involving Southern culture/roots, it is not uncommon among Southern families after all to cherish their heritage (as with many groups). Likewise, not sure how much importance to attach to a common family interest in hunting for treasures. As our mutual friend Loke might put it, it may have something to do with the "potty training". A simile might be in how some families have a large number of members that served in the military, or were in politics.

I don't know if all this exonerates Travis as being the creator of the stone maps either. Belief can be a very strong motivator.

A parallel might be seen in the case of Barry Storm, whom was seen carving fake Spanish treasure signs in the Superstitions. Storm certainly believed there were treasures and mines to be found in those mountains, and spent a fair amount of his own time and money looking for them. Why then did he go and make fake treasure signs? We do not know - perhaps it was done to mislead other treasure hunters, or perhaps he was creating what he felt SHOULD exist, similar to the "pious frauds" of history, in which gospel books were written and signed with prominent biblical characters names, although they had been dead for centuries. These "pious frauds" were not written with the intent to fool anyone or for financial gain, nor to mislead people, they were done in an attempt to fill a perceived gap . In saying this, before I get a half dozen PMs from people misinterpreting that I am somehow saying the stone maps are any kind of religious thing, it is only as an EXAMPLE of a somewhat similar case. In other words, it is possible the creator of the stone maps was not trying to fool people so much as making something he felt should exist.

Regardless of who or whom really carved the stone maps, IMHO the true test is in using them to search. Some members here have done so, Cactusjumper's solution has a rather good "fit" of terrain and monuments for instance. They are real maps, no doubt about that. I would like to see the map that was used as the pattern for those stone maps, or at least the cloth duplicates. If we could see the cloth duplicates, we should be able to tell if they were like a "rubbing" taken from the stones, or might be the original pattern.

I look forward to reading the rest of your evidence or I should say the remainder of what you are willing to share, I hope all is well with you and that you are keeping your hand in (for our readers, there are lost mines in many places including even the eastern states) and keeping cool! We had some record breaking heat here recently, which made outdoor work not as pleasant as they say in the brochures! (haha) Thank you in advance;

Roy ~ Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee2:

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hal Croves wrote

Well it would be premature to make conclusions before you have finished presenting the case wouldn't it? You have done a super job of researching the Tumlinson roots BTW, have to admit that I never thought to dig into the family history beyond Travis and the immediate relatives.

Not sure what the other family you might be referring to may be, does the name start with a "P" and sound somewhat similar to Peralta? (And also involves a real court case concerning treasure in the Superstition mountains?) Otherwise I would have guessed Holmes.

I started writing this reply at lunch, and now see a new post:
<Hal Croves also wrote>

Well I would not have guessed Arnold, and should have picked up on the other name from the article posted. I was pretty far off the track.

Also not sure how much weight or emphasis to put on a family history, especially involving Southern culture/roots, it is not uncommon among Southern families after all to cherish their heritage (as with many groups). Likewise, not sure how much importance to attach to a common family interest in hunting for treasures. As our mutual friend Loke might put it, it may have something to do with the "potty training". A simile might be in how some families have a large number of members that served in the military, or were in politics.

I don't know if all this exonerates Travis as being the creator of the stone maps either. Belief can be a very strong motivator.

A parallel might be seen in the case of Barry Storm, whom was seen carving fake Spanish treasure signs in the Superstitions. Storm certainly believed there were treasures and mines to be found in those mountains, and spent a fair amount of his own time and money looking for them. Why then did he go and make fake treasure signs? We do not know - perhaps it was done to mislead other treasure hunters, or perhaps he was creating what he felt SHOULD exist, similar to the "pious frauds" of history, in which gospel books were written and signed with prominent biblical characters names, although they had been dead for centuries. These "pious frauds" were not written with the intent to fool anyone or for financial gain, nor to mislead people, they were done in an attempt to fill a perceived gap . In saying this, before I get a half dozen PMs from people misinterpreting that I am somehow saying the stone maps are any kind of religious thing, it is only as an EXAMPLE of a somewhat similar case. In other words, it is possible the creator of the stone maps was not trying to fool people so much as making something he felt should exist.

Regardless of who or whom really carved the stone maps, IMHO the true test is in using them to search. Some members here have done so, Cactusjumper's solution has a rather good "fit" of terrain and monuments for instance. They are real maps, no doubt about that. I would like to see the map that was used as the pattern for those stone maps, or at least the cloth duplicates. If we could see the cloth duplicates, we should be able to tell if they were like a "rubbing" taken from the stones, or might be the original pattern.

I look forward to reading the rest of your evidence or I should say the remainder of what you are willing to share, I hope all is well with you and that you are keeping your hand in (for our readers, there are lost mines in many places including even the eastern states) and keeping cool! We had some record breaking heat here recently, which made outdoor work not as pleasant as they say in the brochures! (haha) Thank you in advance;

Roy ~ Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee2:

oroblanco,

I honestly hold very little back from TNet members and when I do, its only because I have not done enough research on whatever it is that I am focused on. Right now I am looking at Oren Arnold and his family history. There is a significant connection to my earlier posts in this thread however, I want to kick it around some before I share it. In the mean time, look at Oren's family history. It is amazingly similar to both Travis and Augustus or "Gus". A family who migrates to Texas after the Civil War (not uncommon), the Grandson of a Confederate soldier who finds his way to the Phoenix area and develops a deep devotion to lost treasure tales and the Superstitions. This could all be coincidental and I am open to that opinion but, the idea needs to be shared and collectively explored. As Old has suggested, this may all be just a heap of nothing. But, for those with an open mind, there may be something more to the idea.

And what is that idea? Its difficult to define at this point. I am hoping that it eventually becomes self-evident to those interested. And you are correct not to place too much importance on family histories or a tradition of treasure hunting. The curious thing is when those experiences and family histories (which should be separate and unique) begin to overlap and parallel each other in place and time. Which is exactly what I believe is happening.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Your perspective is appreciated more than you know.
The weather here is brutal and I honestly cant wait for the fall.

Photographs: findagrave
View attachment 1185403
Oren's Parents

View attachment 1185406

William Daniel Arnold
(1856-1931)
m. Archie L Barry (1862-1947) Married: 9, Dec. 1880
Children: 8, 5 living in 1930
William Tip - Rusk County Clerk, TX (1881-1951)
"Opal" E. M. Preston - Henderson TX (1890-1976)
Thomas J. - Houston, TX - Oil Company Attorney (1885-1966)
Dr. Daniel Grady - El Paso, TX
Oren - Ad Salesman - Phoenix, AZ (1900-1980)

View attachment 1185407

Oren's Paternal Grandfather:
W. L. Arnold (1843-1935) Rusk County Confederate Pension #29114
m.?
Children: Fathered W.D. Arnold at age 13!
William Daniel (1856-1931)

Battle Unit Name: 51st Consolidated Regiment, Tennessee Infantry
Side:Confederacy
Company:K
Soldier's Rank In:Private
Soldier's Rank Out:Private
51st Consolidated Regiment, Tennessee Infantry
Organized January 1, 1862; consolidated with 52nd Tennessee Infantry April, 1862 to form 51st Consolidated; consolidation declared illegal and regiment reorganized April, 1863; formed part of Company "B", 2nd Consolidated Tennessee Infantry April 9, 1865; paroled at Greensboro, North Carolina May 2, 1865.

View attachment 1185408

W.L. Arnold's Twin Brother(?)
Moses Arnold (1843-1904) Rusk County Confederate Pension #30842
m. Malissa C. Spence (1823-1929)
Children:
Nancy J (1873-?)
Minnie (1878-1899)
Battle Unit Name: 11th Regiment, Texas Infantry (Roberts')
Side: Confederacy
Company: B
Soldier's Rank In: Private
Soldier's Rank Out: Private
Battle Unit Note - (Robert's Regiment)
11th Regiment, Texas Infantry (Roberts')
Overview:11th Infantry Regiment was assembled at Houston, Texas, during the winter of 1861-1862. Many of the men were recruited in the towns of Clarksville, Henderson, and Marshall, and the counties of Cherokee and Shelby. It was assigned to the Army of New Mexico, then served in H. Randal's and Maclay's Brigade, Trans-Mississippi Department. The unit skirmished in Louisiana and lost 4 killed, 15 wounded, and 32 missing at Bayou Bourdeau. During the Red River Campaign, Company A with 3 officers and 42 men was captured. It moved to Arkansas, fought at Jenkins' Ferry, then was stationed at Shreveport, Louisiana, and later Hemstead, Texas, where it disbanded in May, 1865. The field officers were Colonels A. J. Coupland, James H. Jones, and O.M. Roberts, and Majors Nathaniel J. Caraway and Thomas H. Rountree.

View attachment 1185404

Oren's Great Grandfather
A.G. Arnold (1822-1876) Tennessee
m.?
Children:
W.L (1843-1935)
Moses (1843-1904)
James B (1858-1901)

There is more...

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Great post Hal, "like" was not a strong enough compliment.

Side thing here but I still think that was very cool that you found a lost mine, ever thought about hunting the area around it for any other outcrops of the vein that was originally being worked? It is possible there could be other outcroppings that were not found when the mine was being worked. Also if you could find a tailings pile of the ore, it might be fun to go over it with a metal detector. Just a thought of course, heck when we were living in PA, I laughed at the stories of several lost mines in my own area but now have pretty solid documentation that they existed. One silver mine was very near the Wyoming valley settlements, local Indians even complained to the colonial governor about a white man that came and "stole" a canoe-load of ore from their mine, and a gold mine located in a secret, hidden spring on a mountain along the Susquehanna river is another one I would have hunted for had I known the stories were based on facts not alcohol. Not to tell you what to do or try to divert your research, I know that you do keep your hand in treasure hunting regardless of where you are (as do many of us) just blathering, and curious if you had returned to that no-longer-lost mine you found recently. Heck who knows, there could be rich pockets still in the ground at that mine, although I do not know how anyone might ever legally get at them.

Please do continue, sorry for the off-topic drift there.

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oren Arnold

Oren wrote this about the Catalina Mountains while these men were searching for the Mine with the Iron Door down here in Tucson. I would just love to see that stone knife and those markers!

View attachment 1185785

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Great post Hal, "like" was not a strong enough compliment.

Side thing here but I still think that was very cool that you found a lost mine, ever thought about hunting the area around it for any other outcrops of the vein that was originally being worked? It is possible there could be other outcroppings that were not found when the mine was being worked. Also if you could find a tailings pile of the ore, it might be fun to go over it with a metal detector. Just a thought of course, heck when we were living in PA, I laughed at the stories of several lost mines in my own area but now have pretty solid documentation that they existed. One silver mine was very near the Wyoming valley settlements, local Indians even complained to the colonial governor about a white man that came and "stole" a canoe-load of ore from their mine, and a gold mine located in a secret, hidden spring on a mountain along the Susquehanna river is another one I would have hunted for had I known the stories were based on facts not alcohol. Not to tell you what to do or try to divert your research, I know that you do keep your hand in treasure hunting regardless of where you are (as do many of us) just blathering, and curious if you had returned to that no-longer-lost mine you found recently. Heck who knows, there could be rich pockets still in the ground at that mine, although I do not know how anyone might ever legally get at them.

Please do continue, sorry for the off-topic drift there.

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee:

Unfortunately, I would still have a difficult time identifying the different types of valuable ores. I just don't have the experience or training. The tailing are just below the mine and the pile looks undisturbed . Honestly, the shaft is 106ish feet straight down, flooded, with no way out if you were alone and fell in. I don't mind admitting that the place intimidates me as I am almost always alone when I hike.

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Back to Oren Arnold.
Look at this.

J.T.'s relationship to Oren has me scratching my head. There are a few other TNet members looking at this and they might be able to explain the relationship better than I can. Remember, Oren's grandfather WL was 13 when he fathered Oren's father WD. This may sound naive but, I am not sure if that is physically possible and there is evidence to suggest that JT is actually WD father or possibly, that he contributed to raising him. Its honestly confusing but they are related.

It is important to remember that many of the men who survived Sibley's disastrous New Mexico Campaign were in this Battle Unit.
During that campaign, S. Hunter lead a detachment of about 100 men to take Tucson.

JT service in the Confederate army is, IMO, very interesting.
See the pattern?

"Located at Minden, Texas, just off Highway 95. Land was donated by the RETTIG family. First person buried here was Joseph RETTIG, who died 20 October 1879."

Row 18 R-L

ARNOLD, Carrie 1852-1889
ARNOLD, J. T. 7/1/1833-11/5/1889

Arnold , J.T.
Battle Unit Name:Hardeman's Regiment, Texas Cavalry (31st Cavalry) (1st Regiment, Arizona Brigade)
Side:Confederacy
Company:
Soldier's Rank In:
Soldier's Rank Out:
Film Number: M227 ROLL 1
Plaque Number:
Notes:
Company Note - Halley's Co.
Battle Unit Note - (1 Reg't. Arizona Brigade War Side Note - 31 Texas Cavalry)

"FIRST TEXAS CAVALRY, ARIZONA BRIGADE. The First Texas Cavalry, Arizona Brigade, at one time called the Thirty-first Texas Cavalry, had a long and unusual history. The idea for the regiment came from "ex-officio" Confederate governor of Arizona John Robert Baylor in the fall of 1861. Baylor wanted to raise his own Texas brigade that would fight to officially establish Arizona as Confederate territory. Most of the men he initially recruited came from his own regiment, the Second Regiment of Texas Mounted Rifles. Others came from Dallas County and the surrounding area. To establish a presence in Arizona, Baylor planned to attach this new brigade to the New Mexico campaign (see SIBLEY CAMPAIGN), led by Brig. Gen. Henry Hopkins Sibley, in an attempt to establish a Confederate empire in the American Southwest and eventually into Mexico.

Initially Baylor raised a four-company battalion commanded by Lt. Col. Philemon Herbert. After the New Mexico campaign, more companies were added to make the battalion a full regiment, the First Texas Cavalry, Arizona Brigade. Baylor's hope of ever commanding the regiment disappeared after Sibley permanently removed the governor from control of the regiment by promoting the senior Capt. Peter Hardeman, of the Second Regiment of Texas Mounted Rifles, to lieutenant colonel in command. Sibley failed in his attempt to occupy New Mexico, and his entire force retreated to Texas before the First Texas Cavalry, Arizona Brigade filled their ranks. After several months the brigade never reached full strength, ending Baylor's dream of Arizona becoming Confederate controlled territory and the First Texas Cavalry, Arizona Brigade's opportunity to fight in Arizona and New Mexico.
During the summer of 1862, the thirty-one-year-old Peter Hardeman became ill. While he recovered from his sickness, his cousin William P. "Gotch" Hardeman, a veteran of the New Mexico Campaign, took temporary command of the battalion encamped at Victoria, Texas. During his brief period as commander of the battalion William reorganized it and increased the battalion to six companies by adding unattached cavalry companies commanded by Capt. W. G. Welch and Capt. Joseph Head, Company F and Company H, respectively. While the companies camped at Victoria, they recruited men from nearby Goliad County, which produced one more company and increased the battalion to a regiment with eight full companies. After Peter recovered, William left to continue his military service in Louisiana with the Fourth Texas Cavalry. The regiment remained in Victoria until April 1863 when Hardeman received orders that his command would be attached to the newly-formed Bankhead's brigade, later called Gano's Brigade, camped at Fort Hood near San Antonio. While camped at Fort Hood, Hardeman acquired more men from Bexar and Comal counties to increase his strength further.
While part of Gano's Brigade, Hardeman disbanded company F and transferred the enlisted men to the Seventeenth Texas Field Battery. Additionally the regiment served alongside Confederate Indians in Arkansas where they experienced limited fighting in the Red River campaign at Poison Spring and the Indian Territory in the Second Battle of Cabin Creek. After returning to Texas from Cabin Creek the regiment received orders to move to Hempstead, Texas, where they dismounted. After a brief stay at Hempstead, the First Texas Cavalry, Arizona Brigade, moved to Houston and Harrisburg on the Texas coast. Due to the disbandment of Company F, being dismounted, and a large number of men that deserted, the regiment's strength dwindled to only 175 men when it disbanded on May 15 at a camp on Sims Bayou, near Richmond on the Brazos River. Shortly after disbanding in May 1865, Hardeman left Texas with his family for Brazil where they lived on a plantation. Hardeman died in 1882 in Cillo, Brazil, where his family buried him."

[url]https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qkf07

http://www.swcwa.com/Addl__Reading/Civil_War_SW/HUNTER-S_WESTERN_ARIZONA_CAMPAIGN.docx.pdf
[/URL]

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Unfortunately, I would still have a difficult time identifying the different types of valuable ores. I just don't have the experience or training. The tailing are just below the mine and the pile looks undisturbed . Honestly, the shaft is 106ish feet straight down, flooded, with no way out if you were alone and fell in. I don't mind admitting that the place intimidates me as I am almost always alone when I hike.

LOVE the photos amigo, thank you for sharing them! And don't feel alone in not being able to ID some of these ores, heck I have a couple of specimens from the famous Homestake mine, you need a strong magnifier to see any gold in them and the rock looks totally of the wrong kind - and this is considered their "bonanza" type ore! I agree on the idea of NOT sliding over 100 feet down an ancient mine shaft alone, I find that very scary and intimidating too, hate to do it. I would not suggest going down that shaft unless you have a partner with you, and the proper equipment just for starters. Heck the thing might be unsafe and apt to collapse in on you, not worth getting killed just trying to find out plus it is flooded, the precious metals are quite likely to be below that water. But how many people do you know, that can say they found a lost mine in the EAST? You are the only one I have ever heard of that was successful in that part of the country. And who knows, you may find others too in the same territory?

Please do continue amigos,

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, I re-posted the picture but I've misplaced the original this one is a little better. Ill have to try and find the original which may be in storage as I just moved.

View attachment 1185886

At the end it talks of the painted and carved rock map dated 1663 next to the Aztec stone knife. And a Treasure Hunter named "Black Jack". It also talks of documented evidence the mine had a treasure room back filled with rocks and mud about 80 feet which sort of mimics Ron Quinn's find as he tunneled back about 75 feet.

The story has been around since 1680 and the main Characters included a Father Escalante which is strange. This McKee fellow had documented evidence of the existence of the gold mine. Sure wish that stuff was available. May be at the Smithsonian as a fellow from there was with them at the time.

Great Job Hal!!

bill...can you repost that article in a higher resolution?...i cant read it even when i enlarge it.....thanks

Last edited:

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hal Croves, Oroblanco,:coffee2::director:Very interesting about the southern family connections,Please do continue. Great Job. Its time a lot of this should be out. NP:cat:

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill: Look up the following: L.A. Examiner, Sunday, September 10, 1933, (American Weekly, Inc.), Page 10. "Seek again Superstition Mountain Blood Stained Lost Gold." Although he did not sign this article, It was written by Oren Arnold. It was in this article that Oren mentioned that the Dons Club was putting together an expedition to look for the mine. This is the paragraph that started the Dons Club to putting on the "Dons Trek" because they were deluged by request from across the country from people wanting to go along on the hunt. Cordially, Greg Davis

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
If the Heart & Trails Stones are old, or based on some old map, then I would have to read them entirely differently than I do now. It would still be an aerial view, like most maps are, however the view would be way less exact than I initially believed. Instead of corresponding to specific topographic lines, (like Joe and I have suggested), the actual topography (mountain ranges) are depicted in almost childlike waves or "saw-teeth" (green). Blue dashed lines would be temporary water or canyon bottom. Blue circles a spring (H2o). Grey instructions, directions, camping locations.

Just a thought. A trail that begins at 2 Christian graves or, a cemetery or, a mission, crosses a river then winds its way through mountains past spring, campsites, trail signs, until it ends at something cached or concealed.

Seeing it in color.

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
azdave35,

The photo of Al Reser and I outside the bunkhouse at my ranch was taken about 30 years ago, sometime about 1985-1986.

Matthew

Matthew,

How long had you been in Arizona at that time? Obviously, your cattle and horses were just grazing on open range then. Did you have a lease with the government? How large was your ranch?

Thanks again for the history.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
View attachment 1182602
Ranch house and bunkhouse at New River.

View attachment 1182603
Al Reser and I outside the bunkhouse.

Yes, the ranch was part of the old Alkire Triple Bar ranch.
My well was the first stage stations well. When I lived there it was still open range. Cattle and horses ran from New River to the Clines TT ranch north of Table Mesa. The TT Ranch, XS Ranch, Joy Ranch and a half dozen other small ranchers ran cattle and horses on 44,000 acres of leased range. I had 120 head of cattle and a remuda of 8 range horses. When Cline sold out I was in with Steve Bragg at the TT for a couple years. Burl Lann who worked the Clemans ranch and Reavis in the Superstitions was my neighbor down the road. Then I moved to Phoenix and it was history.

Matthew

Matthew,

Those are great pictures. Lots of history standing there.

Good luck,

Joe

starman 1

Jun 3, 2010
Hello Hal:

You stated:

"If the Heart & Trails Stones are old, or based on some old map, then I would have to read them entirely differently than I do now. It would still be an aerial view, like most maps are, however the view would be way less exact than I initially believed. Instead of corresponding to specific topographic lines, (like Joe and I have suggested), the actual topography (mountain ranges) are depicted in almost childlike waves or "saw-teeth" (green). Blue dashed lines would be temporary water or canyon bottom. Blue circles a spring (H2o). Grey instructions, directions, camping locations".

What is missed is the possibility that the heart and trail maps were carved not from an old map that is similar but was carved from an old map that was of a far wider scope than the heart and trail map. A map that showed the entire range and other places. A master map that was carved on a wall hidden in the range that we simply refer to as the map room. A location the heart and trail maps were taking you to. If this is true then then the heart and trail stones are the most basic maps. With later maps simply being copies.

Proof? Simply take the trail map from its starting point north of the Salt River down Fish Creek Canyon. The Heart and Trail map will take you there. But you will need to recognize the trick in the trail and understand the trail and heart maps refer to the same location, just a different perspective. Who knows this trail here might also take you back to Tucson and the Confederates.

Good luck in your journey.

Starman

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
How did you do that Hal ????????
Its just a tracing. I changed the line color and used a black backdrop. I think that it makes it easier to read but again I am guessing at what things are. Essentially, I am now forced to rethink the location that these maps represent. Who knows, at this point, they may not even be related to the Superstitions. I am not sure anymore.
:tard:

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its just a tracing. I changed the line color and used a black backdrop. I think that it makes it easier to read but again I am guessing at what things are. Essentially, I am now forced to rethink the location that these maps represent. Who knows, at this point, they may not even be related to the Superstitions. I am not sure anymore.
:tard:
Hal,:coffee2:Theres always been a problem with many treasure stories,Trails and Locations, they are fabricated into the Idea that these are all different treasures, when many are just about a few of the same Treasures.NP:cat:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread