A horrible defacing of coins or art?

jamin_03

Jul 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washinton
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran across this in my local news classified website page. What do you guys think? Cruel and unusual punishment to a coin or an artists attempt to make money?

6212897.jpg 6212919.jpg

Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

Upvote 0

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another way of viewing it is that there are now less Ikes.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty as long as its a clad and not against the law. Other then that, I can see teenagers wearing them as necklaces as a new fad. LOL

smiles,
Garoulady

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i kinda like it, least its not a botch job.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen Walking Libertys done the same way. I don't think the numismatic world had lost much with that Ike but a WL is another matter.

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its art, but not necessarily a way to make money. I love those coins! :icon_thumleft:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's cool, maybe I should start doing something like that!

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People have been doing that for many years... I would never buy one but finding one in the ground would be pretty cool I must say

S

stefen

Coins have been altered as an art form from the time they were first produced...they come in all forms from jewelry in the form of rings, necklaces and bracelets...some of the other forms are described below...

Indian Head nickels have been a choice for what is classified as HOBO NICKELS since they were first circluated...valued from a low of $20 to $10,000 or more...
VIKING.jpg

Other coins such as 'LOVE TOKENS' with initials, and such, have been an art form for hundreds of years...Soldiers, sailors and others gave these to their loved ones when they left home for war or to venture into the new frontiers...Front and Back shown below:
LOVE TOKEN FRONT.jpg LOVE TOKEN - BACK.jpg

Others have been holed because they were strung (no pockets) and also used as necklaces...in parts of the world, coins were sewn into their clothing to keep from getting lost...
Holed Coin.jpg
Some are even punched (3D) like this Lincoln Head penny as a novelty... LINC-2.jpg

Attachments

• LINC-4.jpg
    LINC-4.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must admit I do have a pair of standing quarter silver earrings and a buffalo necklace. Both were gifts and I wear them often. Wish I would have found the quarters in the wild.
apush

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a merc dime that the back ground was cut out and my mom used to wear it back in the day.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins have been altered as an art form from the time they were first produced...they come in all forms from jewelry in the form of rings, necklaces and bracelets...some of the other forms are described below...

Indian Head nickels have been a choice for what is classified as HOBO NICKELS since they were first circluated...valued from a low of $20 to $10,000 or more...
View attachment 730538

I love the hobo nickels. I can't wait until one turns up in my are.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the rings made of old silver halves, my wife gave me one (1928 Walker) for Christmas. She paid too much.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a Silver German Reichsmark that was drilled out and fashioned into a pendant. Found in the sand at the beach maybe 10 years ago. I also have a buffalo nickel but I found it at a garage sale.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I posted a hobo nickel a few months back; a favorite of my collection. Someone replied that it was such a "waste of a perfectly good coin". To each his own...

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Such coins go all the way back to antiquity.

Personally I like engraved coins, some of the cut-out ones are alright, but never found any worth buying. On the other hand I've got a small collection of love tokens that I've bought at various coin shops/jewellery shops.

You can go back to medieval times where people with tuberculosis would go to the king/queen and receive a touch-piece, usually with an angel on it. The coin was often pierced and kept as an amulet.

Sometimes you'll even find old coins used as a pendant in antiquity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions