A hunt with Steelheadwill

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back home last night from vacation out East with my family. We traveled through 11 different states and spent most of our time on the coast. I can't explain how much I drooled over all of the old houses and sites I was seeing. We spent a few days in Maine and wow, much nicer there than I expected. On the 3rd night in Maine, we stayed at a hotel in southern Maine and I had made earlier arrangements with Steelheadwill for a hunt with him in New Hampshire. I can't say enought about how great Herbie treated me. He not only took me to some of his favorite spots, he actually drove out of his way to pick me up from my hotel. We went to a few of his spots and man oh man, are these places OLD. It is so much fun to hunt a place where so much history is...you never know what you can find. Anyway, after a day-long hunt with Herbie, here are just a few of my finds. I ended up with some buttons including some old pewters, one of which is an 1812 era Script I. Herbie's face lit up when he seen that button so I knew then it was a keeper. I also dug a big 1892 Columbus Exposition Token. Herbie thought at first that it was an aluminum token but it feels heavier. I haven't quite found an exact match on this one on the internet yet to know if it is rare or not. Also found a silver ring at one of Herbie's good swimhole locations. It was pretty dark when I found it and Herbie spotted the sterling mark inside. I have cleaned it a little so far. Anyway, there was so many other interesting finds but I only am showing a few here. Thanks Herbie for sharing your good sites with me, glad to make a new friend.

104_4387.jpg

104_4379.jpg

104_4358.jpg

104_4394.jpg

104_4397.jpg

Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahh, some nice old pewter buttons, the ornamented ones are pretty scarce :o
Beautiful face on that script 'I'.
Christopher Columbus. Nice Exposition piece.
is that a small crotal I see ??
Ring is looking great, I'd love to see a frontal of the stone :wink:
Looks like you scored a few goodies! Glad you enjoyed.. Best to you :D

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man did you score Mark! That script I is a Banner button anywhere! Herbie is indeed a great guy, and I will be going to see him soon. It's great to see you 2 got out.

Mike

OP
OP
Wallhangers

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a frontal picture of the ring Herbie. As for the other crotal-like item, it is actually heavy like lead, I have no idea what it is.

104_4405.jpg

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Killer finds out east. Hope the vacation treated you well. It sure looks like it by those finds. :thumbsup: jgas

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Wallhangers

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodland Detectors said:
Man did you score Mark! That script I is a Banner button anywhere! Herbie is indeed a great guy, and I will be going to see him soon. It's great to see you 2 got out.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as I did. Cob cove is a special place. When he explained the ships coming in and out of that cove in the 1700's/1800's, I couldn't help trying to picture it in my mind. Got a little excited everytime I dug a decent signal there as well knowing that he found a cob and a gold ducat in the same area :icon_thumleft:.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wallhangers said:
Woodland Detectors said:

Mike
Thanks Mike, I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as I did. Cob cove is a special place. When he explained the ships coming in and out of that cove in the 1700's/1800's, I couldn't help trying to picture it in my mind. Got a little excited everytime I dug a decent signal there as well knowing that he found a cob and a gold ducat in the same area :icon_thumleft:.
Very cool Mark! How is the coil treating you?

OP
OP
Wallhangers

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodland Detectors said:
Wallhangers said:
Woodland Detectors said:

Mike
I like it but still haven't used it enough to give a complete evaluation. Herbie had me use the Joey in some of the heavier iron areas and I had no problem finding targets. Once I am in less iron, I always throw the pro coil back on. I have yet to try the Joey in a yard so that will be a true test for me, finding out how the depth compares to my pro coil. I'm still trying to get the hang of slowing down my swing. I am use to covering a lot of ground with the pro coil at a pretty good clip. BTW, I hinted around to Herbie about maybe a future hunt in NC with you...if you would be up for it ;D.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wallhangers said:
Woodland Detectors said:
Wallhangers said:
Woodland Detectors said:

Mike
I like it but still haven't used it enough to give a complete evaluation. Herbie had me use the Joey in some of the heavier iron areas and I had no problem finding targets. Once I am in less iron, I always throw the pro coil back on. I have yet to try the Joey in a yard so that will be a true test for me, finding out how the depth compares to my pro coil. I'm still trying to get the hang of slowing down my swing. I am use to covering a lot of ground with the pro coil at a pretty good clip. BTW, I hinted around to Herbie about maybe a future hunt in NC with you...if you would be up for it ;D.
It's on Mark!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Awesome finds! I was also lucky enough to meet up with Herbie a few months ago. Once of the nicest guys I've ever met and A++++++ in my book!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for posting that stone Mark ;D
Maybe a light amethyst :dontknow:
I think the ring may have some age, I love OLD rings :wink:
Glad you enjoyed! It was a great day :thumbsup:
Now that I'm looking at that 'crotal' thing, I think I have one also...
I'll try to find it in my files, I always say, 'ones a fluke, two's a 'Whatsit'.
Best to you and Yours :D

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Glad to see your trip was productive!! :icon_thumright:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds. :icon_thumleft: Looks like a fun hunt. Glad you guys could hook up. :thumbsup:

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread