A kewl little invention

Mikemonster

Jun 20, 2005
Tallahassee Florida
This afternoon I went to my local boat supply store and bought a hand powered bildge pump made by Whale water systems. website is whale pumps.com. It's called a gusher urchin and cost 42.99.
It's self priming, has a 1" inlet and a 1" outlet without any filter screens. It pumps 11 gal per minute. I attached a 6 ft long clear plastic hose to the inlet and a 3 footer at the outlet.

Then I stuck it in my aquarium for an indepth scientific study and this puppy sucked up gravel and some good sized rock 1/2 inch+ and spit it into my bucket like it was starving for it.

The box claims it will lift water 13 feet. For 42 bucks and 10 bucks for tubing this tool ought to suck some gold from inbetween submerged rocks and creveces. The pump can be rebuilt and weighs less than 2 lbs.

Upvote 0

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Mikemonster: Let us know how it works when you try it. Good luck.

ericwt

OP
OP
Mikemonster

Mikemonster

Jun 20, 2005
Tallahassee Florida
Tell ya what. The thing works swell and I see no problem using it in a creek. Leaving for N. Georgia Tuesday am. Don't know how long I'll be gone. Thinking about buying a small piece of property there and letting those who use "this" forum camp there. I might put a camper on it for nasty weather times.
Actually beyond "thinking" as I have already contacted a realtor and found the property. Just want to see it in person before I buy it.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Mike, did you ever get to hunt Shark River in the Everglades?

OP
OP
Mikemonster

Mikemonster

Jun 20, 2005
Tallahassee Florida
Hey guys, been a long time since I was here. Been running amock.
The "whale" hand pump dredge actually works great under the right conditions. That is having a mostly sandly small rock creek or river bottom. Rocks 1/2 inch and above clogs the thing and it takes a while to remoce the 4 phillips head screws and clear it.
But for sandy bottoms it was great.
The best part is it makes no noise as there isn't a motor and you can hear things going on around you which is a big plus in the bush for many reasons.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
This sounds like something that might be worth looking into for me. I have an old swimming hole on top of a dam where for years a bulldozer would push all the bottom over the top of the dam to keep the hole deep for water flow to a paper factory below. We "ass"ume that a load of the goodies ended up pushed right up against the dam.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Surely youall have seen the gold sucker hand dredge on ebay for $20 + shipping or instructions to build your own all over the place????

R M P T R

Propanner

Greenie
Nov 6, 2007
Or you could just get 1 of these.

GT1.jpg

It's called a GoldTube, they work great for crevicing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread