A lifetime of opportunity..ADVISE NEEDED

fingerscrossed

Apr 22, 2012
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok guys, this Sunday we went to my wife's family friend for mother's day (she is retired about 65 y.o.) and so is her hubby..I'm 32 btw..this family is pretty close to my wife..they've known each other for almost 15 yrs now..we are a frequent visitor at this folks house but just last Sunday, while I was going to take a soda at the basement, i noticed a large coin jar, and 2 smaller ones..the large jar was about a foot high and about the size of a serving plate! I suspect those could be full of old coins knowing that these guys have lived in this house for 35 yrs!..to cut the story short, i've been having a this fantasy of finding out what's in that jar but I don't know how to open up the topic with them...also the thought of sooner than later, these guys are going to have to cash in those somewhere so better me than the others right :tongue3: also i'm willing to pay some premium if I see something I really like..but the problem is how do I open up this topic with them? any input??

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Just say, hey when I went to go grab a pop I noticed a jar of coins down there. Would you like to show them to me?

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have a pretty close relationships, there will be no problem with that. It is better for you to pull out all valuable coins for even a slight premium, than them not knowing and cashing these jars in the bank. I would say, go for it.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Shouldn't be a problem if you have a good relationship with them. Just casually bring up that you collect coins and noticed the jugs in the basement. Even bring a coin with you to show. I'm sure they would be more than happy to make an afternoon of searching through them with you.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, basically all the advice given is sound. I ran into a similar situation with an aunt. I was talking about coins with my dad and my aunts husband brought up that he has tons of coins in a jar, and that he already "pulled all the mercury dimes." I offered to sort them for him and advise which coins were valuable.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I offered to sort them for him and advise which coins were valuable.

This is a good point. I would recommend not sounding like you're only in it for yourself (even if you are). My grandmother-in-law told me she had a lot of older coins in wrappers that her late husband hoarded. I offered to look through them and show her what was valuable. She then told me that I could have whatever I found.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
...how do I open up this topic with them? any input??

"Hey Fof (Friend-of-the-Family): I wasn't trying to being nosey, but I noticed that you have a couple of jars of coins hanging around in your basement. I have some advice for you for when you decided to cash them in. Make sure you look through them with somebody who knows coins to make sure there aren't valuable ones in there before you take them to the bank. If you want help with that, I would enjoy doing it with you. I've done it before and it is actually quite fun - like a treasure hunt. Even if you aren't ready to cash them all in, we could sort them now and you could put the keepers aside - or, I could buy them from you or help you find a buyer for them. I've found quite a few cool coins just from searching everyday circulated change like you have in those jars. Here's a couple of my favorite ones [show some CRH finds to pique the interest]"

Be prepared to just help out and don't expect to make out like a bandit. Chances are, if it happens, they'll make it worth your while if you find anything of value.

OP
OP
fingerscrossed

fingerscrossed

Apr 22, 2012
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great points hunters! I'll take a few weeks to educate myself it looks like they aren't cashing those yet..these couples are well off so I would think cashing those doesnt happen anytime soon without my knowledge i hope..

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just my opinion,i,m with solid rolls on this. Karma and all. Neat chance for finds though. Try not to look like i would,like a dog under a buffet table!.good luck.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
You could just stalk them and wait for them to cash-in the coins and quickly buy them from the bank. That would be obsessive and creepy though. :laughing7:

CubanHunter

Jan 2, 2012
Miami, Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could also talk with them about coins and maybe show them your collection I think they will bring the topic themselves about the jars in the basement

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread