Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I got an invite from my good buddy Stan to come up and do a little out-of-season colonial relic hunting at one of his awesome sites. This place, which dates as far back as the first half of the 17th century, has given up many amazing finds over the years. The beach is absolutely littered with early brick and black glass, and is packed full of small iron which always presents a challenge. We didn't make any killer finds, but did stumble across a small trash pit that had just recently started to erode out of the bank. As you can see in the photo, it only extends down about 3 feet and was located within 2 brick wall features, and I'm not exactly sure of their function (maybe a small ice house??). We didn't spend much time excavating it, but it was full of brick, oyster shells, pipe stems, pottery, early 1700s glass, and plenty of iron. My best finds were a heavily corroded axe and an iron stock lock, and both will be going for a swim in my electrolysis tank later today. Also shown is a complete early 1700s bottle that was recently found at this site, but unfortunately we could not bring one of those home. Thanks again Stan - that was the perfect remedy to cure my summer detecting doldrums.

Attachments

• CH beach1a.jpg
    CH beach1a.jpg
    724.6 KB · Views: 172
  • CH beach2a.jpg
    CH beach2a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 173
  • CH pit1a.jpg
    CH pit1a.jpg
    627.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 061417a2.jpg
    061417a2.jpg
    899.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 061417b2.jpg
    061417b2.jpg
    766.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 061417c2.jpg
    061417c2.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 151
  • CH bottle2.jpg
    CH bottle2.jpg
    792.9 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 31

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I found an onion like that I'd cry for sure :headbang:

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one killer beach for sure! What's it like at low tide? Bet there are plenty of goodies out in the water.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a really cool spot. Those bottle necks are sweet, and it's always great to be finding pottery and stems. Looks like the site has many years worth of offerings left still. Cheers and bits good to see you out? Did you go swimming for anything you found?

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a really cool spot. Those bottle necks are sweet, and it's always great to be finding pottery and stems. Looks like the site has many years worth of offerings left still. Cheers and bits good to see you out? Did you go swimming for anything you found?

No water hunting yesterday Steve. Maybe save that for another time although the bottom is sand-free with a hard, sticky clay that's very difficult to penetrate with a shovel. With that kind of a base there may be few if any artifacts hiding in it.

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love me some coastal colonial sites...VMI is most likely going to drool over this one!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!! Love old black glass. That complete example you found is a great crude shape, not a text book English "pancake onion" but higher sides transition onion/mallet shape, English lip, I'd like to see a photo of the bottom pontil scar. Great bottle!!

Congrats and HH

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That axe is going to look great man... and it looks really old! The layers of shell on the back wall of that "ice house" thing, has me drooling. I think I would have sat in there and just chipped away at that back wall. :laughing7: Looks like a great time Bill. Nice to get in some old digs between all those gold rings. Ha

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a huge amount of fun. You guys appear to have that place to yourselves! What a story all those objects tell. Thanks for sharing it.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would of dropped the detector and excavated that whole hillside.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to imagine what else might be hiding around there. I'd love to found an onion bottle one day. Looks like a very fun day buddy

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so envious y'all got a massive site like that mega playground. show us the candy as ya find it :laughing7::icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My kind of summer day! There has to be another bottle lying around there somewhere. Thanks for the picture Bill and hopefully Stan will invite you back

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread