A little heart broken.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was told about a possible 1812 British camp site. The land owner just took off the clover and so I went back to see if I could detect the field, I did have the okay last year, so I thought it was a good idea to ask once again. The lady of the house is quite old and she seemed very interested in what I had to say, I know a fare amount of the history of the area, she said go a head and good luck. So off I went and I detected for about 1/2 an hour, then I knoticed this well dressed man coming my way, he asked me what I was looking for and I told him that I was looking for the 1812 camp, he asked me if I was going to take any thing I found, I responded by telling him that I would show them anything I find, he asked me for my card which I carry at all times. He left me after that. There was one target that I wish I had dug, but my X-terra was still going deeper at 16". :dontknow: So I decided not to go any deeper. Before I left I went to the house and spoke to the daughter, she was really nice but told me not to come back, she explained about how many people just walk on their land and not ask for permission. I said that I totally understand , she said to back in a couple of years and then things might be different, well some how I don't think so but who knows. I will have to look else where. Brian C.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
that's too bad, hard to say why they don't want you back. might be grand children trying to protect grandma

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sniffer said:
that's too bad, hard to say why they don't want you back. might be grand children trying to protect grandma
The daughter mentioned about they used to have big horse jumping events, they have money, they have lots of property. She said that they got sued once by a person that was at fault that did not know how to ride their horse. And there has been many people that has entered their land with guns, set fires in their stables. It is no wonder they are not to keen on strangers. I spoke with the daughter for about 10 mintutes, I tried to change her mind, but no luck. Nt.

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sniffer said:
maybe they're looking at it from a liability side
She did mention that also, if I were to fall I would sue them, but I mentioned her that I don't work that way. She mentioned if the insurance company got involved, they would want me to go after the land owner, what abunch of bull crap. I hope that this not the way our hobby is heading. :'(

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been saying it for years.....lawsuits are ruining the country. You cant get permission to do anything anymore, and you cant blame the land owners for saying no.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brian - THANK YOU! :icon_thumleft: You are an ambassador for all of us in a situation like this and because you gave them your card, the good karma you now carry may make your phone ring in the future. This is an example for all of your metal detecting and treasure hunting brothers and sisters to follow. We ALL feel your pain, and we are ALL proud of you and your actions! :hello2: :notworthy:

Brian C. said:
I was told about a possible 1812 British camp site. The land owner just took off the clover and so I went back to see if I could detect the field, I did have the okay last year, so I thought it was a good idea to ask once again. The lady of the house is quite old and she seemed very interested in what I had to say, I know a fare amount of the history of the area, she said go a head and good luck. So off I went and I detected for about 1/2 an hour, then I knoticed this well dressed man coming my way, he asked me what I was looking for and I told him that I was looking for the 1812 camp, he asked me if I was going to take any thing I found, I responded by telling him that I would show them anything I find, he asked me for my card which I carry at all times. He left me after that. There was one target that I wish I had dug, but my X-terra was still going deeper at 16". :dontknow: So I decided not to go any deeper. Before I left I went to the house and spoke to the daughter, she was really nice but told me not to come back, she explained about how many people just walk on their land and not ask for permission. I said that I totally understand , she said to back in a couple of years and then things might be different, well some how I don't think so but who knows. I will have to look else where. Brian C.

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Terry Soloman said:
Brian - THANK YOU! :icon_thumleft: You are an ambassador for all of us in a situation like this and because you gave them your card, the good karma you now carry may make your phone ring in the future. This is an example for all of your metal detecting and treasure hunting brothers and sisters to follow. We ALL feel your pain, and we are ALL proud of you and your actions! :hello2: :notworthy:

Brian C. said:
Thank you for the kind words, check out my new story.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
You could offer to sing a waiver, holding them harmless if anything happened to you while you are on their property.

Could not hurt to offer since it appears that their main concern is being sued.

Ray S ECenFL

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,that very thing happens to me every year,and it hurts!!I know most of the owners very well and have known them for years but we have a huge problem with trespassing and when somebody see's or hears that you are detecting there it seems to give moral less hunters the idea that they can too,or tells them that there must be something there and then flood the landowners with asking...the landowners have enough to deal with and end up just telling everybody no.Also with the internet and shows like Antiques Roadshow,people think we are getting rich selling all the super valuable stuff we find

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
kuger said:
Yep,that very thing happens to me every year,and it hurts!!I know most of the owners very well and have known them for years but we have a huge problem with trespassing and when somebody see's or hears that you are detecting there it seems to give moral less hunters the idea that they can too,or tells them that there must be something there and then flood the landowners with asking...the landowners have enough to deal with and end up just telling everybody no.Also with the internet and shows like Antiques Roadshow,people think we are getting rich selling all the super valuable stuff we find
I agree, the rule I go by is if I see another detectorist in a field I do not approach the land owner. I know we some times find rare and desirable items that other would love, well I figure go out and buy a detector, read some history books, then go searching. I will go back in a couple years and talk to them, but fore now I will just look else where for the next interesting find.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian C. said:
kuger said:
I agree, the rule I go by is if I see another detectorist in a field I do not approach the land owner. I know we some times find rare and desirable items that other would love, well I figure go out and buy a detector, read some history books, then go searching. I will go back in a couple years and talk to them, but fore now I will just look else where for the next interesting find.

Kudo's to you,you are a gentleman :thumbsup:Yea,I would stay in touch.Maybe drop by with little gift at Christmas or something,or just to chat up the old gal....you may be able to learn a wealth of info from her!!Also it is sometimes easier to grant permission if they get to know and trust you

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made copys of a self liabilty thing so if i got hurt from my doing they dont have to worry. so far it works. i did this due to people telling me no becuse of liabilty issues

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread