A little piece of petrified wood

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this little piece in a field today. Thought I would share. I like how a lot of the petrified wood I find here has a very natural wood color to it. I had to tap this one on a rock before I was convinced it was petrified. :)

PetrifiedWood-2015-06-26-Img_6829SSS.jpg

PetrifiedWood-2015-06-26-Img_6830SSS.jpg

PetrifiedWood-2015-06-26-Img_6831SSS.jpg

Happy hunting,
Eric

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
That's cool. Where there's trees, there's resin. Keep an eye out for amber! That stuff is amazing if it has any little prehistoric goodies in it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be neat to find some amber, especially with critters. Petrified wood is pretty rare here though.

I do have a small piece of amber with some kind of gnat in it that I purchased at a rock shop in Arizona. :)

AmberBug-2006-07-01-Img_7803.jpg

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
That amber is amazing! I've heard amber is pretty pricey & there has got to be a steep premium for trapped plants & creatures. Then again I've never been to a rock shop. May I ask how much'ish something like that goes for typically? It's OK if u don't remember. I've just never really seen it for sale.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That little piece of amber with the bug is probably about 3/4 of an inch long. It was close to 10 years ago and I want to say was somewhere around $30.

I am hoping to make it up to a rock shop in the next few weeks. I will try to remember to look at their amber. Rock shops are a dangerous place for someone like me because everything seems so much less expensive than I would ever let it go for if I found it. Luckily I am also very frugal. ;)

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
Holy dung!!! That's way less than I would have expected! I agree 100%. That would be a dangerous place for me too! I would NEVER sell that for anywhere close to that! Very great find & u didn't even get dirty. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread