A little scary, but I had fun!

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hey All.....My son and I decided to go to another town today (17 miles away) North Augusta. Wanted to hit some public parks around there. For such a small town, they have 15 parks! Anyway, I didn't have much luck at the 4 parks I hit. A small amount of clad, a Russian coin (sorry, no pic) and a new pair of sunglasses. I was pleased at finding the glasses. Needed a new pair. ;D
Headed home after about 4 hours, and went by this site where three run down houses are being torn down. One is completely gone, the second is "pushed" over, I think it used to be a small restaurant or bar at some point, and the third is still standing but real shaky :-\. I did not take the detector with me cause I didn't have a bunch of time, but just wanted to be a looky-lou. I went directly to the pushed over place and the basement was exposed. I immediately spotted the old Clorox bottles and dove into the debris to rummage around. Found some really cool items but just pulled out what I wanted. Then I looked into the still standing place and much to my surprise, it was still furnished. Real shabby stuff and went in to investigate (the door was wide open). Now keep in mind that this place is right on a very busy intersection and I know that I was trespassing, but curiosity killed that cat and all that good stuff. This place has been abandoned a very long time, and when I went in ever so carefully (the floor are rotten and it's a good piece to the ground!), I saw a calender on the wall from 1992. It had an upright piano that was missing alot of the ivory but still played, a sofa covered in sheet music, a console TV/Stereo from the 50's, You know the kind.....all of our parents had one! This one still had albums in it. Just a few personal items were strewn about. It looks like whom ever lived there just up and left. Maybe she passed away and that was the end. There were no dressers or anything, but lots of clothes on the floor. I think some homeless folks have shacked up in it a couple of times. I picked up a couple of 78 records,the Doctor Seuss book(1954), and one piece of sheet music from 1942. Wish I could go back and get the piano and console. I would like to investigate it further with the detector, but not real sure. There is tons of debris and it's pretty dangerous to be walking over.
Anyway, here's a pic. I had a blast because it was my first tear down that I have visited and actually got to take home souvenirs.

Happy Hunting!
Moon

Attachments

• House tear down 4-07-06 002.jpg
    House tear down 4-07-06 002.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 503
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
P.S. The metal thingy by the bottles is an old door lock. I had to have it! ;D

Thanks for looking,
Moon

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds and an interesting adventure! HH, Mike

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
MOON, Good Story, Nice Finds, Sounds Like a Site with Potential, Best of Luck, But Be Careful!!!!! trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 121.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 121.gif
    9 KB · Views: 418
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 121.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 121.gif
    9 KB · Views: 417

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Hahahaa...Now you are starting to sound like me...No Fear! Just be careful in those old houses....Dont want you falling through the floor! Go back and tell the guys that are doing the teardown that you want the piano...most times they will have no problem helping you get it out...or allowing you to take it. Nice finds!

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
Great finds, I love to go through old houses, it is scary. We got out yesterday and my boyfriend showed me a old house that used to stand on his property that the people died and the old house just fell in because of old age. This weekend it is going to be pretty so I guess I will md around there this weekend. He also took me to an old abandoned coal mine on his property that they covered up the hole. He wants to go back and dig it open and look inside for old tools and money. Here are the pics I took yesterday, sorry not very good it was getting dark. Also I took a pic of the May Apples, they are getting big, so it should'nt be long the morel's will be coming up.

Attachments

• house 5.jpg
    house 5.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 361
  • house 4.jpg
    house 4.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 362
  • house 3.jpg
    house 3.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 355
  • house 2.jpg
    house 2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 362
  • house 1.jpg
    house 1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 365

nybuford

Jan 16, 2006
Moon.. Nice finds... WTG.
I agree with Gypsy on at least asking for the piano and the console.
I'm sure they wont be as nice to you as they would to her.. but hey.. can't hurt to ask!
Good luck!
Bu

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
nybuford said:
I'm sure they wont be as nice to you as they would to her.. but hey.. can't hurt to ask!
Good luck!
Bu
Moonshadow is a woman...she knows the score....wink and smile....it works everytime! They will probally haul it home for her! ;) :-*

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
nybuford said:
Good luck!
Bu
Moonshadow is a woman...she knows the score....wink and smile....it works everytime! They will probally haul it home for her! ;) :-*

And if they still say no, just start to cry a little - that ALWAYS works :-P (sorry, couldn't resist - hehe). Of course if the owner is female, a wink, smile and tear will have no impact whatsoever :-)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Cubfan64 said:
gypsyheart said:
nybuford said:
Good luck!
Bu

And if they still say no, just start to cry a little - that ALWAYS works :-P (sorry, couldn't resist - hehe). Of course if the owner is female, a wink, smile and tear will have no impact whatsoever :-)
.........hmmmmmmmmm.......well..........maybe ;)

nybuford

Jan 16, 2006
>:( It's just so NOT fair!
Even if it is a woman tearing down the house.. If she is driving a bulldozer.. chances are pretty good the wink and smile will still work! ;D
Bu

OP
OP
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks guys and gals......Gypsy...thanks for stickin up for me! ;D I really don't have any place to put those big pieces...but I hate to see them crushed up without a thought. I have no idea who the owner is and I don't get by there often enough to catch anyone there. This tear down is not moving quickly. Every couple of weeks or so you see some work done. I'll keep checking occasionally though.
And on a side note.....I can very well handle myself in any situation....and I ain't bad lookin either!! ;D ;D

Happy Hunting,
Moon

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
When I examined an old house once...there was an old upright piano that was falling apart......I tore the bottom piece off by the pedals....and found several old coins...toys and marbles......

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You go girl! Moon we're all with you on this. If you want that piano...get that piano!

But......do you know how top heavy an upright piano is? They're monsters. When my dad went and got my first piano...it was an upright. I had my nose pressed against the window when he came home with it. It was all in pieces. :( The thing was so top heavy that it flipped right out of the truck and into the street when they made a turn. He drove up the driveway up into the backyard woods and dumped it. We played around with the pieces of that piano for years. :D Luckily there was another one in the paper that day...for free.....this one survived the trip. :D

OP
OP
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
hmmmmm......Interesting info Gypsy....I kinda thought about poking around the piano a bit, but got nervous about being there. I didn't get the feeling that this person had much, but that the piano was a treasured possession. I may have to go back today and do some more poking ;) Lisa....that's a sad story about your upright. Glad you got another one though. Yeah, I imagine that are a heifer to load up. I would have to have a team of really big muscular guys to handle the job........hmmmmmmmmmm ;D ;D ;D. Let me make some phone calls!
Lisa, I hope your hair comes out beautiful honey!

Happy Hunting!
Moon

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE
Hi Moon
Thanks for the reply to my post. I'm on the road a lot and see so many structures like that, and never stopped......yet. PLEASE be careful poking around! Happy hunting.
Mark G

nybuford

Jan 16, 2006
Moon... I'm sure you'll have no problem getting the contruction guys to help you out!
Esp. since... how did you put it..... Oh yea.. Your not bad to look at ;)
Best of luck..
Bu

OP
OP
Moonshadow

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: A little scary, but I had fun! NEW: Went back and took pictures today!

Thanks Mark...I really enjoyed your story.

And thanks BU....I was being a little sassy!

HH,
Moon

Enjoy the pictures I took and Gypsy, no luck with the piano. Couldn't get the bottom to open :(

Attachments

• House tear down 4-07-06 005.jpg
    House tear down 4-07-06 005.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 229
  • House tear down 4-07-06 003.jpg
    House tear down 4-07-06 003.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 240
  • House tear down 4-07-06 002.jpg
    House tear down 4-07-06 002.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 248
  • House tear down 4-07-06 001.jpg
    House tear down 4-07-06 001.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 252
  • House tear down 4-07-06 001.jpg
    House tear down 4-07-06 001.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 234

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Oh my gosh,Moon...me and the girls are on our way ! Hahaha...One word...CROWBAR !!!!!....Hunt that area between house and barn....Cool place!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread