A little Video to warm your hearts

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
VOC, thanks for sharing that video. Fascinating ! What a treasure chest!

OP
OP
VOC

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOC, has the dollar wreck ever been found?? Pillar dollars are my favourite

Not yet, unfortunately the Westerly facing coast of the Lizard peninsula is very dynamic and can be hit by waves of up to 40 feet at the shoreline.

The possible location can be covered by up to 30 feet of sand and in the UK you cannot use blowers on environmental grounds.

The wreck may not even exist as there is a lot of Cornish folklore in this area regarding smuggling and tunnels under the sea etc, and all that is known for certain is coins are washed up onto the beach (Church Cove, not the Church Cove on the East Coast of the Lizard).

There are also two nearby historic wrecks http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/discover/maritime/map/schiedam/ and http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/discover/maritime/map/st-anthony/

Roland Morris was a Legend in the UK as one of the pioneers of historic wreck recovery; he built a pub/restaurant that would put some museums to shame with the amount of artefacts in it (Admiral Benbow – Penzance), the pub also had a dining room based on a galleon great cabin.

He also had a privately funded a shipwreck museum in the same street that was open to the public.

Roland Morris campaigned for the government to introduce a Protection of Wrecks Act that actually came into force in the early 70’s. He also worked the wreck of HMS Colossus for the British Museum http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/discover/maritime/map/hms-colossus/

On the other point you made, I am all for Archaeology to the highest level on sites that you can get real meaningful information from, but sites where everything is being thrown around during every storm, even basic site plans are totally meaningless, so I believe straight artefact recovery is the best way forward as any information is better than nothing and these artefacts are being lost by the year.

My biggest beef is with the inexperienced academic marine archaeologist dreaming up a UNESCO convention on the way forward that is based on their lack of funds, rather than what’s best for increasing the Worlds knowledge about our past.

I have no problems with most Archaeologist and I have worked with some of the best of them, but I have found a very big difference in views towards the UNESCO convention between the ones that are actively working in the field day in day out and the ones that sit in institutions dreaming up new laws and policy etc.

Unfortunately due to the victimisation by their so called peers if they don’t tow the current line towards the convention they keep quiet.

Like you I love Pillar Dollars, one of the most interesting coins ever produced

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Amazing... you bet those dollars were from that wreck! it seems much older than the early 80's but it said 1982... very interesting video!

Chukers

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOC said:
VOC, has the dollar wreck ever been found?? Pillar dollars are my favourite

Not yet, unfortunately the Westerly facing coast of the Lizard peninsula is very dynamic and can hit by waves of up to 40 feet at the shoreline.

The possible location can be covered by up to 30 feet of sand and in the UK you cannot use blowers on environmental grounds.

The wreck may not even exist as there is a lot of Cornish folklore in this area regarding smuggling and tunnels under the sea etc, and all that is known for certain is coins are washed up onto the beach (Church Cove, not the Church Cove on the East Coast of the Lizard).

There are also two nearby historic wrecks http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/discover/maritime/map/schiedam/ and http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/discover/maritime/map/st-anthony/

Roland Morris was a Legend in the UK as one of the pioneers of historic wreck recovery; he built a pub/restaurant that would put some museums to shame with the amount of artefacts in it (Admiral Benbow – Penzance), the pub also had a dining room based on a galleon great cabin.

He also had a privately funded a shipwreck museum in the same street that was open to the public.

Roland Morris campaigned for the government to introduce a Protection of Wrecks Act that actually came into force in the early 70’s. He also worked the wreck of HMS Colossus for the British Museum http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/discover/maritime/map/hms-colossus/

On the other point you made, I am all for Archaeology to the highest level on sites that you can get real meaningful information from, but sites where everything is being thrown around during every storm, even basic site plans are totally meaningless, so I believe straight artefact recovery is the best way forward as any information is better than nothing and these artefacts are being lost by the year.

My biggest beef is with the inexperienced academic marine archaeologist dreaming up a UNESCO convention on the way forward that is based on their lack of funds, rather than what’s best for increasing the Worlds knowledge about our past.

I have no problems with most Archaeologist and I have worked with some of the best of them, but I have found a very big difference in views towards the UNESCO convention between the ones that are actively working in the field day in day out and the ones that sit in institutions dreaming up new laws and policy etc.

Unfortunately due to the victimisation by their so called peers if they don’t tow the current line towards the convention they keep quiet.

Like you I love Pillar Dollars, one of the most interesting coins ever produced
You have my utmost respect :thumbsup:
Ossy

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I loved it! I now have a new hero. Is he still alive? I would love to read a book of his adventures.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon

Attachments

• 41264_142582122445333_100000806383299_193258_2664878_n.jpeg
    41264_142582122445333_100000806383299_193258_2664878_n.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 584
  • 41307_142582259111986_100000806383299_193269_1760948_n.jpeg
    41307_142582259111986_100000806383299_193269_1760948_n.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 716
  • 46714_142582185778660_100000806383299_193261_2571019_n.jpeg
    46714_142582185778660_100000806383299_193261_2571019_n.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 754

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alexandre said:
If you love Pillar Dollars, then the ship over which I am doing my PhD is a must: it was carryying 106.000 of then when it sunk in Australia... ;)

http://www.museum.wa.gov.au/maritime-archaeology-db/numismatics?num_tax[ship]=620&num_tax[origin]=All&num_tax[coin_type]=All
Let me know when you are coming down under :thumbsup: Love to see some of your work
Ossy
PS Alexandre the photos are of Bust or Portrait dollars not Pillar dollars
Sorry the one on the right bottom, is a Pillar dollar the others are Portrait dollars, You made need my help to identify them ;D

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY said:
Alexandre said:
If you love Pillar Dollars, then the ship over which I am doing my PhD is a must: it was carryying 106.000 of then when it sunk in Australia... ;)

http://www.museum.wa.gov.au/maritime-archaeology-db/numismatics?num_tax[ship]=620&num_tax[origin]=All&num_tax[coin_type]=All
Let me know when you are coming down under :thumbsup: Love to see some of your work
Ossy

I am thinking of going to Macao in September for archival research. I might drop by, then.

As for the pillar dollars, they have about a 1.000 of them coins - about 30% are pillar dollars.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alexandre said:
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY said:
Alexandre said:

Ossy

I am thinking of going to Macao in September for archival research. I might drop by, then.

As for the pillar dollars, they have about a 1.000 of them coins - about 30% are pillar dollars.
The Pillar dollars have the two worlds on them ( New world/ Old world ) The Spanish coat of arms is the same as the bottom right.
Odyssey made the same mistake when the tried to market the Mercedes replica coins and had them as pillar dollars, but they are all Portrait dollars.
ossy

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story, Its worth the 52 minutes to watch!!! The only reason Im Posting Other than It Is Great!!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: Is so red Can Watch I Tommrow!!! HH Chug Its worth the time To View!!!

OP
OP
VOC

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I loved it! I now have a new hero. Is he still alive? I would love to read a book of his adventures."

Unfortunately Roland died a good few years back, but his memory lives on. The pub was sold before he died and the museum contents auctioned a few years after his death, but a lot of the good stuff was bought by the Charlestown Shipwreck Centre (Cornwall)

The best book to read about some of the exploits of Roland Morris is “Island Treasure” by Roland Morris (1969) the passion in the way he writes is immense and is one of my favourite reads.

This book was republished as a soft back for the 300 year aniversary of the sinking of HMS Association as “The Treasure of the Association” by Roland Morris and can still be purchased from http://www.periscopepublishing.com/...re_Code=PPL&Product_Code=TOTA&Category_Code=B

Another great book about the Roland Morris (but is very rare) is “Sunken Treasure” by Mark Williams (1980)
(this is not to be confussed with Marks other great 1981 book "Deep Sea Treasure (1981)

Roland Morris’s other book is “HMS Colossus” (1979) that can often be found on-line, or a reprint can be bought from Periscope Publishing (http://www.periscopepublishing.com/..._Code=PPL&Product_Code=HMSCol&Category_Code=B )

You might be able to find origional used copies of the above books from WWW.ABEBOOKS.COM or WWW.BOOKFINDER.COM

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff VOC! Do you know Rex Cowan? I met him at the shipwreck conference in Plymouth about 20 years ago, he was also one of the pioneers in UK wreck diving.

Pirate Diver

OP
OP
VOC

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Great stuff VOC! Do you know Rex Cowan? I met him at the shipwreck conference in Plymouth about 20 years ago, he was also one of the pioneers in UK wreck diving".

Pirate Diver

Yes, just by chance he is speaking at the same conference again tommorow 4th Jan 2012 www.shipwreckconference.org

Rex never used to dive, but he would put the teams together and finnance the whole operation including conservation.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks VOC for sharing such a great old video. :hello2:
ZDD

OP
OP
VOC

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DaleGM, if you liked the Girona one you may enjoy this one (top of page1 on this thread)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread