A lot of bling from the playground, rings and silver from the school and more scout camp finds

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
The weather threw me a curve. It was so nice and then we got snow and high winds so I decided to stay home because I am tired of fighting the weather. Then it was supposed to be better so I made arrangements with the camp ranger to go to the scout camp. The day I went the wind died down, but the temperature dropped into the teens. I went anyway and had to wear my mittens to detect so my fingers didn’t get numb. It only got up to 32 but the sun was out so it wasn’t terrible.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and managed to find 92 coins with a face value of $8.25, 131 camp tent pegs, a fire starter flint and steel set, 7 rope tensioners, another copper metalwork merit badge project, an old mess kit wing nut, a hat pin back, 2 sinkers, a combination luggage lock (forced open), a knife holder for your scout belt, a swollen quarter, melted aluminum from the fires and some tabs.

IMG_8272.jpeg

DSCN3105.jpeg

Clad coins that end up in the campfire can get so hot the layers separate and the coin swells. This one has a decent bump, but I have found some that look like a tick ready to pop. This one must not have been in long enough or hot enough to swell completely.

DSCN3106.jpeg

DAY 2
I went east to a small park in a larger town. It has a tot lot, a basketball court and a sports field that has been used for baseball, soccer and football in the past. I have found civil war bullets and silver jewelry in the past so I was hoping to get lucky.

I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and managed to find 96 coins with a face value of $6.20, a drug pipe, part of a Minnie Mouse key chain, 3 rings, a cross, a stainless fork, a Jesus pendant with chain, some tabs, aluminum bottle caps and can slaw.

DSCN3107.jpeg

Unfortunately all the jewelry is cheapie stuff. The first one is a very large size and is really fancy looking. The next one also looked nice in the hole, but no luck again. The third one was copper at first sight so again no luck. The Jesus pendant looked decent at first, but the rusty chain that was falling apart was a dead giveaway.

DSCN3109.jpeg

DSCN3110.jpeg

The drug pipe looks like it was put together from common brass plumbing fittings. It is in the brass recycling bucket now.

DSCN3108.jpeg

DAY 3
I went back for my weekly trip to the elementary school hoping for some luck after the good day I had last week. I spent 4.5 hours expanding the grid search and was disappointed with the results. I found 24 coins with a face value of $1.48, a cheapie apple pendant, a weird bullet, a whatzit, lots of can slaw and a few tabs.

DSCN3111.jpeg

The area I hunted was mostly quiet. Some parts were dead zones with no targets at all, not even ferrous. When there were targets 9 times out of ten they were can slaw. I did find what looks like a bullet. It is lead and was a cavity in the back. The front looks like it has impacted something like a fired bullet. The strange part is the diamond pattern on the side. If it is a bullet, I’ve never seen one with a diamond pattern on the side. Any bullet experts out there, please weigh in on this one.

DSCN3112.jpeg

DSCN3113.jpeg

The whatzit has a chromed ferrous coil end that is springy and bends. The base has a hole in it like this is the end of a pole of some kind. No idea what it was used for or how old. For the looks of it and the condition it’s in, my best guess is 1930 to late 1950s. Help will be appreciated.

DAY 4

I got back to the middle school for another weekly hunt. It started out below freezing again, but the sun was nice and warmed things up. I got in 5 hours before I had to get home for a family dinner. I managed to find 117 coins with a face value of $10.71, a vintage pocket knife, 2 keys, an aluminum carabiner, 3 rings and other bling, a screw in cleat, 2 Canadian pennies, foil, aluminum bottle caps, tabs and of course pencil ends.

DSCN3114.jpeg

The rings are all cheapies unfortunately. The pentagram pendant is also a cheapie. The other pendant is silver. At one time it had a big oval stone in it, but that was long gone when I found the pendant. Silver has been hard to come by lately so it was a nice bonus for the hunt.

DSCN3115.jpeg

DSCN3116.jpeg

The killdeer was siting on the nest of eggs on the hillside above the field I was detecting. When I got too close she got up and started her bad wing routine to draw me away from the nest. When I didn’t go she came pretty close and squawked at me. I took a quick picture and backed off. I didn’t want to cause too much distress for the poor thing. Having a nest on school grounds where the PE classes are is going to be stressful enough for her. When I go back weekly I’ll check to see if the eggs have hatched and how the young ones are doing.

IMG_8283.jpeg

IMG_8282.jpeg

So another week of swingin with decent results. Only about a month left in my detecting year. So far not my best but things could turn around any time. You never know what the next hole will turn up. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 25

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
DAY 1
The weather threw me a curve. It was so nice and then we got snow and high winds so I decided to stay home because I am tired of fighting the weather. Then it was supposed to be better so I made arrangements with the camp ranger to go to the scout camp. The day I went the wind died down, but the temperature dropped into the teens. I went anyway and had to wear my mittens to detect so my fingers didn’t get numb. It only got up to 32 but the sun was out so it wasn’t terrible.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and managed to find 92 coins with a face value of $8.25, 131 camp tent pegs, a fire starter flint and steel set, 7 rope tensioners, another copper metalwork merit badge project, an old mess kit wing nut, a hat pin back, 2 sinkers, a combination luggage lock (forced open), a knife holder for your scout belt, a swollen quarter, melted aluminum from the fires and some tabs.

View attachment 2139561

View attachment 2139560

Clad coins that end up in the campfire can get so hot the layers separate and the coin swells. This one has a decent bump, but I have found some that look like a tick ready to pop. This one must not have been in long enough or hot enough to swell completely.

View attachment 2139562

DAY 2
I went east to a small park in a larger town. It has a tot lot, a basketball court and a sports field that has been used for baseball, soccer and football in the past. I have found civil war bullets and silver jewelry in the past so I was hoping to get lucky.

I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and managed to find 96 coins with a face value of $6.20, a drug pipe, part of a Minnie Mouse key chain, 3 rings, a cross, a stainless fork, a Jesus pendant with chain, some tabs, aluminum bottle caps and can slaw.

View attachment 2139563

Unfortunately all the jewelry is cheapie stuff. The first one is a very large size and is really fancy looking. The next one also looked nice in the hole, but no luck again. The third one was copper at first sight so again no luck. The Jesus pendant looked decent at first, but the rusty chain that was falling apart was a dead giveaway.

View attachment 2139565

View attachment 2139566

The drug pipe looks like it was put together from common brass plumbing fittings. It is in the brass recycling bucket now.

View attachment 2139564

DAY 3
I went back for my weekly trip to the elementary school hoping for some luck after the good day I had last week. I spent 4.5 hours expanding the grid search and was disappointed with the results. I found 24 coins with a face value of $1.48, a cheapie apple pendant, a weird bullet, a whatzit, lots of can slaw and a few tabs.

View attachment 2139567

The area I hunted was mostly quiet. Some parts were dead zones with no targets at all, not even ferrous. When there were targets 9 times out of ten they were can slaw. I did find what looks like a bullet. It is lead and was a cavity in the back. The front looks like it has impacted something like a fired bullet. The strange part is the diamond pattern on the side. If it is a bullet, I’ve never seen one with a diamond pattern on the side. Any bullet experts out there, please weigh in on this one.

View attachment 2139568

View attachment 2139569

The whatzit has a chromed ferrous coil end that is springy and bends. The base has a hole in it like this is the end of a pole of some kind. No idea what it was used for or how old. For the looks of it and the condition it’s in, my best guess is 1930 to late 1950s. Help will be appreciated.

DAY 4

I got back to the middle school for another weekly hunt. It started out below freezing again, but the sun was nice and warmed things up. I got in 5 hours before I had to get home for a family dinner. I managed to find 117 coins with a face value of $10.71, a vintage pocket knife, 2 keys, an aluminum carabiner, 3 rings and other bling, a screw in cleat, 2 Canadian pennies, foil, aluminum bottle caps, tabs and of course pencil ends.

View attachment 2139570

The rings are all cheapies unfortunately. The pentagram pendant is also a cheapie. The other pendant is silver. At one time it had a big oval stone in it, but that was long gone when I found the pendant. Silver has been hard to come by lately so it was a nice bonus for the hunt.

View attachment 2139571

View attachment 2139572

The killdeer was siting on the nest of eggs on the hillside above the field I was detecting. When I got too close she got up and started her bad wing routine to draw me away from the nest. When I didn’t go she came pretty close and squawked at me. I took a quick picture and backed off. I didn’t want to cause too much distress for the poor thing. Having a nest on school grounds where the PE classes are is going to be stressful enough for her. When I go back weekly I’ll check to see if the eggs have hatched and how the young ones are doing.

View attachment 2139573

View attachment 2139574

So another week of swingin with decent results. Only about a month left in my detecting year. So far not my best but things could turn around any time. You never know what the next hole will turn up. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.
😆 I remember those weed pipes from the 80s. My misses worked in a hippy shop back then and they sold them in it. Stealth pipes, take apart and look like nothing things.

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice killdeer and eggs photo. They are neat birds.
I have never seen a bullet like that either. The marks look like it was made in a swage with those markings inside the die. The 2 rings in the diamond pattern look like they have rifling marks.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1

View attachment 2139561

View attachment 2139560

View attachment 2139562

DAY 2

View attachment 2139563

View attachment 2139565

View attachment 2139566

View attachment 2139564

DAY 3

View attachment 2139567

View attachment 2139568

View attachment 2139569

DAY 4

View attachment 2139570

View attachment 2139571

View attachment 2139572

View attachment 2139573

View attachment 2139574

The bullet is a swaged lead Hornady pistol bullet. They make them in several calibers and the knurling is to retain the propietary lube they use. Very good bullets, I've loaded and fired a ton of them. Visit Hornady's website for a more detailed look.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bullet is a swaged lead Hornady pistol bullet. They make them in several calibers and the knurling is to retain the propietary lube they use. Very good bullets, I've loaded and fired a ton of them. Visit Hornady's website for a more detailed look.
Thanks for the quick ID on the bullet. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMAZING FINDINGS !!! You must have worn out two or three DIGGING TOOLS ! Thanks for sharing with us

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1

View attachment 2139561

View attachment 2139560

View attachment 2139562

DAY 2

View attachment 2139563

View attachment 2139565

View attachment 2139566

View attachment 2139564

DAY 3

View attachment 2139567

View attachment 2139568

View attachment 2139569

DAY 4

View attachment 2139570

View attachment 2139571

View attachment 2139572

View attachment 2139573

View attachment 2139574

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread