A 'wheely' good day

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Hey hey diggers!
I'm still enjoying this early detecting season this year. It's been more than a few years that we've been able to get into the fields this early, usually it's been first part to middle of April so the bonus time has been welcome and productive.
Back to a field I've detected before but it's been a few years since the last visit. Along with Iron Patch we covered the far corners and spaces undetected fully in the past and discovered a few little pockets of interest that produced some coins and relics missed before.
I was digging upfield when IP motioned for me to join him in a far corner of the property ...when I got there said he had two cartwheel pennies already! Not often our sites give up multiple cartwheels, yeah we find a few over the year but never so many in a single go.
So I show up and immediately find another...then the 1806 penny(same size) and then right at the end of searching the area ...another one!
Four big cartwheel pennies and a spare! I guess we know now where the wheels feel off! Lol
Interesting day to say the least.
I should have taken a pic of IPs pennies but you get the idea.
Rounding out the hunt I found a sweet tomcac button with some decoration...pretty button!
Great to out making some finds and saving some coins and relics.
See you on the next exciting dig!

Attachments

• 20240326_083854.jpg
    20240326_083854.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 20240325_204757.jpg
    20240325_204757.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 30

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
A cartwheel is one coin I have always wanted to find but they have so far eluded me - and you find 4 in one go! Good for you, but couldn't you have left me one?
The only one pennies I have found have been Nova Scotia and New Brunswick ones.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
A cartwheel is one coin I have always wanted to find but they have so far eluded me - and you find 4 in one go! Good for you, but couldn't you have left me one?
The only one pennies I have found have been Nova Scotia and New Brunswick ones.
Those big Georgian pennies show up at most of our early sites as do the penny tokens which are just as welcome to me!
Next time I get one of those signals that says it's a deep big target I'll leave it there for you lol

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great bunch of recoveries. Now I know what a Cartwheel coin is.
I swear they dug a copper that looked like that on today's Hoover Boys episode, but he couldn't ID it because it was too far gone.
You guys dig all the great old coins up that way. :icon_thumright:
MM

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey hey diggers!
I'm still enjoying this early detecting season this year. It's been more than a few years that we've been able to get into the fields this early, usually it's been first part to middle of April so the bonus time has been welcome and productive.
Back to a field I've detected before but it's been a few years since the last visit. Along with Iron Patch we covered the far corners and spaces undetected fully in the past and discovered a few little pockets of interest that produced some coins and relics missed before.
I was digging upfield when IP motioned for me to join him in a far corner of the property ...when I got there said he had two cartwheel pennies already! Not often our sites give up multiple cartwheels, yeah we find a few over the year but never so many in a single go.
So I show up and immediately find another...then the 1806 penny(same size) and then right at the end of searching the area ...another one!
Four big cartwheel pennies and a spare! I guess we know now where the wheels feel off! Lol
Interesting day to say the least.
I should have taken a pic of IPs pennies but you get the idea.
Rounding out the hunt I found a sweet tomcac button with some decoration...pretty button!
Great to out making some finds and saving some coins and relics.
See you on the next exciting dig!
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread