keg11v

Greenie
Dec 9, 2016
Bellingham
Detector(s) used
White's MXT E-series Tracker w/ DD 4x6 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, metal detecting anyways. Let me tell you, I've been beating my feet and really putting in the effort since I got my white's MXT last winter, with only one old coin ('21 wheat cent!), so I can't describe how excited I was. Then I log on here and am humbled to see the post about someone finding their 700th silver coin, ha!

All the old treasure hounds in the antique shops around town told me, "Nah, we picked that park clean years ago, nothing left to find there." But I thought what the hell so yesterday I decided to check out the nearby rose garden, which is said to be about 100 years old. About five minutes after the park steward warned me I'd probably only find old irrigation pipes, I pulled this puppy out of the ground:
IMG_4767.JPG IMG_4768.JPG

I'm almost positive it's a San Francisco mint. I had been questioning my detector's accuracy lately, but (as I'm sure you all remember) when you hit a solid mid-80s both ways at 7-inches depth, you just know. About two feet from that I found a '69-s lincoln and my heart dropped but it was too good to be true, haha.

Upvote 15

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find!! I love finding Mercury dimes. Yeah that mint mark is worn down....but it does not look like a Denver Mark, which sucks!! Cause then you'd have yourself a $600 coin. But regardless, it's still a great coin to find, and the 1916 was the first year of that series! Congrats to ya!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first! :occasion14:

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! It took me awhile to find silver also. I remember the feeling it was amazing! They are still few and far between for me so I get a rush every time I pull one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, Nice! Now forever when you walk by that garden, a small smile will cross your face -

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell of a first merc, too bad about the "D" but a 101 year old coin as your first is nothing to scoff at.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. My first silver was a well worn merc about two years ago this month but Im up to over 150 now so if you stick with it they should come

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a pretty damn good first silver ever- Congrats on the first of many!

-- Jeff --

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you have to work really hard for them. Keep at it and I hope you find much more.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Merc, Congrats! Now the silver door is open and you'll start finding many more!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver. I saw the 1916 and blew your picture of the reverse up to check the mint mark. Looks like a pressed down s to me also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread