A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
A Mini-Cache on

Ok … I’m still catching my breath from what is my most exciting coin(s) find ever. The first time I found a seated liberty half on the side of the hill I was ecstatic. I never had found one before in over 25 years of detecting. Finding 4 more seated liberty halfs in the same general area was just amazing. A total of 5 seated liberty halfs from the same general area …super.! This was over about 20 two to three hour visits to the site.

A few weeks ago I found an 1857 seated quarter. I was beginning to think I had the place pretty well done but every time I returned I was getting signals. Some of the stuff is pretty deep so it takes just the right swipe of the detector at the right angle. I’m digging those real “choppy” signals that in many cases turn out to be little pieces of lead or pieces of tin. Thanks goodness I have a probe! Lots of junk, but it’s been a productive obviously old site so I’ve been patiently returning and digging. Unfortunately, the site is covered with poison oak and I’m real sensitive to it even in the winter even after taking all the standard precautions. My body is beginning to think that it’s normal to have that rash and itch.

A couple of weeks ago I was at the site and decided to go back over a location that I had done before. I noticed a can piece sitting next to an old madrone tree. I removed the can and got a choppy good signal. Part of the can I thought. I took out my probe and found not an old square nail about 3 inches deep. That was it I thought. Swept the hole again and got a solid good signal. Hmmm. Dug down about 12 inches and my probe pointed to the side of the hole I dug at about 9 inches. I brushed some of the dirt away and saw what at first glance appeared to be about a 1 inch cylinder. My first thought was chrome pipe fitting. But wait it looks silver and has edges like a coin. Make that coins! Seven seated liberty halfs all stacked neatly together … unbelievable. Funny that it started raining pretty hard right around that moment but I didn’t notice. I found a seated dime in the same hole dated 1850 O.

Back in the 1870’s the average wage was around 9 cents an hour. This $3.60 mini-cache represented a weeks worth of wages for someone.

All those that suspected a cache of some sort on this site because of the 5 seated halfs were certainly right. Now I’m up to 12 seated halfs, a seated quarter and a seated dime along with lots of interesting buttons, buckles etc. from this location. It certainly pays to ask permission!

The other picture is some of the miscellaneous stuff I found at the site yesterday.

Attachments

• seated mini dirt front.jpg
    seated mini dirt front.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 5,772
  • seated mini front.jpg
    seated mini front.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 5,818
  • seate 3-09.jpg
    seate 3-09.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 5,664
Last edited:
Upvote 9

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Re: A Mini-Cache on "Seated Hill"

Wow,

Way to go! As a fellow Oregonian, I have the dream of just finding one seated coin someday, as they are very scarce in my neck of the woods. I know of only one found in Lane County in the past 5 years, and it was a half dime, not a half dollar!

Anyway, congratulations. I look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

Mike

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

if ever a post was supposed to be on the banner this is it! that is simply incredible! amazing! :o :thumbsup:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is this post bannered yet? If not, why not? Good grief...some of us have hunted for 30+ years, and haven't found one seated coin.....and you are finding them by the handfuls.
Put on your biggest head, and hunt as deep as you can.....glad you slowed down. And, you are doing it right.....dig every signal.....one iffy sound that turns out to be another seated will more than repay 100 times up and down only to find junk.
Look for old tree trunks. Have you found a spring in that area, or is it watered by a creek?
Your persistence has paid off.....keep posting, no matter how mad and frustrated I seem to get!!! ::)

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field

Holy cow! Most folks never find ONE seated! :thumbsup:

M

michigan michael

That is awesome! :thumbsup:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just WOW! :o AMAZING finds!!! :icon_pirat: Many congrats to ya and hope ya find a bunch more!!

Nana :)

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
St. Louis, MO. / Naples, FL.
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur

GOOD GAWD!!!!!!!!!!! It took me 26 years to find 4 seated halves and you get 7 in one hole! Congrats on an awesome find!!!!! HH, Mike.

haylen

Feb 14, 2007

awsome finds :thumbsup: Like to see what else you might dig up there Banner!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great site, great finds and great story. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the banner.

NJ

S

seger98

That's a heck of a site you have there, congratulations on the finds & making the banner! :thumbsup:

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50

WOW very nice finds and congrads

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was reading aout the halves and when I got to the pictures I nearly fainted. That buckle is probably worth more than all those halves and you didn't even mention it! How many halves are in a roll? I think the rest of the roll is somewhere around there. Excellent! (wringing hands). Monty

Missouri_John

Nov 27, 2006
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Wow!!!!!!!!

Your finds are an inspiration to all of us and very deserving of being on the banner. I"m lucky enough to have found 1 seated half, and you got the bonus plan with all yours.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hmmmm, Ok I see now. I couldn't read the inscription on the belt and seeing the eagle I thought it was military. Excuuuuuuuuse Me! But still I really like the buckle. Monty

Twin Digger

Feb 13, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2

Luck is with you... Great finds. I'm still hunting for my first silver coin.. Very nice!!!!

Happy Hunting

Twin Digger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty said:
Hmmmm, Ok I see now. I couldn't read the inscription on the belt and seeing the eagle I thought it was military. Excuuuuuuuuse Me! But still I really like the buckle. Monty
Monty,I am just relaying info :icon_scratch:Sorry I offended you ???We find many Tongue and Wreaths with the Eagle (actually the most common one has a very Military Eagle)but that doesnt mean they were of military origin,society was very patriotic back then,you see the eagle on many everyday items.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kuger, I am not offended! Seems like everything I post lately someone thinks I am offended. Maybe I am just getting too darn old and grumpy? No, just the opposite , I am delighted to learn something about those buckles. I learn something new every day. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread