A must read for people in Michigan

Ross(SE-MI)

Greenie
Oct 31, 2003
Warren,MI
Detector(s) used
ExplorerII & XLT (land) Excalibur II & BHID(water)
A must read.

Al Holden sent me this link: Department of Natural Resources

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365-97922--,00.html

Complete banning of metaldetecting in our parks is just around the corner.

Question I emailed to DNR:

" Customer (Ross Soderberg) 09/06/2004 01:05 AM
Why were some State Parks closed to metal detecting? It's bad enough that we were restricted in them, but I understand this ruling. But to close a park to us all together is just wrong.

Michigan Treasure Hunters (2004 President)
A 30 year old club.
Web site: http://ross-soderberg.com/id14.html
Ross Soderberg "

Answer I received:

"Response (Colleen Steinman) 09/07/2004 07:54 AM
The parks that are closed to metal detecting have been evaluated by historians and other experts and their findings indicate that to allow metal detecting would invite violations of state statutues regarding the removal of artifacts and/or historical items. Additionally, specific areas of state parks provide important habitat for threatened and endangered plants and animals. Every effort is made to locate areas to allow metal detecting since the DNR recognizes it as a legitimate activity. Unlike the National Park Service, we have endeavored to create areas where this activity may be supported and enjoyed. "

strykerstalker

Nov 29, 2005
i notice lower huron metro park is not on their lists... at one point they had a house on their property, ive since seen that in the past 2 yrs they either moved it or tore it down. i wonder if the marker stone for the house is still there or not,i guess ill just have to go over there in the spring or whenever the weather breaks and find out.. if they moved it it wont matter, i could find the footprint of the house in my sleep..

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Michigan DNR has a list of state parks that are off limits to metal detecting and some you are only allowed to detect in the parking lots (most are paved) and picnic grounds or in the water. Step into the no detecting areas and you can lose your detector, and more all for trying to find a wheatie.

Some other parks are agains't metal detectorist also because of damage caused to grass areas by people that haven't learned proper retreival techiques or are newbies and got their detector over the internet or 'Radio Shack.

Sandman

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to do another "It ain't like it used ta be" thing here but it just ain't.

Back in the 60's I saw young guys going through our town hunting any place they wanted to hunt. I once stood by and watched a THer dig a 1916 nickel and a bunch of other coins in Central Park, Grand Haven, Michigan. I tell you they took some great stuff out of that park! Today they'd skin you alive if they caught you digging there....or would they?

Back in the 60's through about the early 80's things were still fairly mellow in regard to laws against THing. It's been down-hill big time ever since.

THing is going to get more and more risky as time passes. Eventually, laws will kill this hobby for most people. Lets all hope that day is a long way off.

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Again, those who do not follow the rules of basic common sense are in danger of messing things up for everyone. I hope all metal detector folks will police themselves, and offer friendly reminders to those who need them.

By the way, did you see the typo about "violating state statues?" That made me chuckle, even though this news is very sobering.

Mike

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
That's really too bad for the legit detectorist there. I am originally from Michigan, and try to keep an eye on what is happening there because I get back every year or so.

I have some news, it's not just MD'rs that are seeing this kind of treatment. It seems that almost any kind of outdoor activity is under fire.......Prospecting, hunting, camping, fishing, rockhounds, Wildlife photography, even the people who make their own maple syrup because they may hurt the poor maple tree. The majority of this comes from the tree hugging activist. They seem to have unlimited funding through bogus charities. Those monies will put the political people in your back pocket. Here in Washington it seems especially bad....it is illegal to do just about anything here, and I'm not just saying that to be funny. The unofficial Washington state motto here is......."If it makes you smile, we'll make it illegal"

Sorry, I am not trying to sound like a paranoid type person. Keep all of this in mind when you vote.........know who you vote for, know who's pocket they are in, because as we are now starting to see, it can effect you in ways you didn't think about, like your hobbies.

Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread