A Newbie to the hobby with an ACE 250

KeninFL

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2009
Some thoughts on the Ace 250 from a Newbieā€¦

First of all, I did a lot of research on the ā€˜net before buying one so I had a pretty good idea what I was getting. Yes, I read a lot of good points about it as well as some complaints. I only live about 30 minutes away from KELLYCO so where to buy one was not an issue. I went down there about a month ago and I was greeted by Wanda who did an excellent job of answering some questions I had. (Looking at all of the MDā€™s they had hanging on display was awesome!)

I also bought the Deluxe Sports Package, coil covers for the (supplied) 6.5 X 9 and 9 X 10 coils, and received a free Automax V4 Pinpointer.

I brought the package home and assembled the unit. Being 6ā€™ 2ā€ tall, I extended the bar as far as possible and could not find any looseness in the bar as reported by others. Taking the unit outside, it made a lot of ā€œnoisesā€ so I figured it was working. I then went back into the house and watched the instructional DV and leafed through the Instruction Manual. Now, back outside I scattered some change on the ground and it worked as advertised. I spent about 20 minutes doing a search on part of the yard I found a few pennies and a dime as well as a LOT of junk.

From there I went back and watched the DV again and then read the manual. Aha! I made the beginners mistake of turning the sensitivity up all of the way! That finished the first day as I had other things I had to do.

In looking at some old maps on the ā€˜net I saw where an old narrow-gauge railroad used to run through part of my pasture. The tracks were laid in the 1850ā€™s and it was taken out in the 1930ā€™s. I went out there the next morning. Now, I'm sure to most of you, that finding railroad spikes at 4 to 6 inches is no big deal but it sure made my day! Also found my share of garbageā€¦

Since that day, I have had it out several times, a few more trips to the pasture and to several of the nearby parks. No great finds, I have usually stayed in the Coins mode in the parks and found a lot of clad and some toys. But, I was gaining experience.

Pinpointingā€¦I have had very good luck digging the right spot, but you have to keep a couple of things in mind. When using the pin pointer, it often overloads and the strength bar will stay at the maximum up to an 8ā€ to 12ā€ area. I place the coil over the center of the area, release the button and push it in again. This seems to de-sensitize it and you will decrease the circle of probability. Also, it seems that when you go to the pin point mode that it puts itself in the ā€œAll Metalā€ mode. If there is something else nearby (especially iron) it will put you somewhere between the two. When I find this happening I drop the sensitivity as low as possible.

Sweep speedā€¦Slow down! I (try to stay at) one to one and a half seconds per sweep.

Headset too loudā€¦I donā€™t put the headset directly over my ears. I guess the best way to describe it is that they are about an inch or so to the rear from being centered. Also, the ears stay a lot cooler here in the Central Florida area.

The biggest problem Iā€™ve had with the ACE is whenever I'm near a swing set (or anything else using a metal pipe frame) when I sweep within a foot to foot and a half of it sounds off. From what Iā€™ve read, a sniper coil will take care of that.

All and all, I think the ACE 250 is a great detector for someone like me who is starting out in the hobby.

Shadowmanflash

Jul 4, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150 & 250
Well Newbie, it sounds as if you are learning as we all did at one time, take your time, learn your machine and your results will come in time.
As for the new coil 10x14 DD EQ2 I inquired about and you all sent me the answers I was looking for, it sounds like a great coil and one they specifically made for the Garretts aces to do better with. Thanks for the input, I hope to get one before they go off sale. Happy dirt fishing and good luck to us all.

aslterp7

Nov 1, 2009
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, automaxx pinpointer, garrett pro pinpointer
Thanks for all the tips. I am new at MD and my ace but your suggestions will help in the future.

mcdpoor

Mar 14, 2009
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
I personally leave my sniper coil on my ACE 250 all the time.. I have my GTI 2500 for the deep and older areas and I use the ACE with the sniper for newer areas and tot lots.. It is awesome with the small coil around the playground equipment and trashy areas.. Mine will still find dimes at 6 inches consistantly with the sniper and pinpointing is so much easier.. If you combine it and a good handheld pinpointer you will be spending less time digging and your finds per hour with increase...Just my opinion
Mcdpoor

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dealt with Kellyco ever since I started detecting. I got Wanda by chance the first time I ordered a detector and have asked for her ever since. She has always been very helpful and a credit to her comany. She will help you in selecting your purchase in any way she can. Way to go Wanda! Anyway, in spite of what only a very few have said, the ACE 250 is the best machine for the money on the market today. Sometimes I toss my thousand dollar hot shot machine back in the car and pull out the ACE and use it out of sheer frustration and usually fare pretty well. I might sell or trade any one of my detectors over time but my ACE 250 will stay with me. Monty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sound to be learning fairly well with the Garrett. It is still a lot of detector for the money and it is more important to learn to use it than waste your time swinging a high priced thing that you aren't sure your setting it correctly. If a detector is to heavy or difficult to use it cuts down on your fun, and that is what it is all about.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions