A nice find at a Private Estate

pariswalk29 (NH)

Sep 10, 2007
Derry NH
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
HI everyone
Just wanted to share with you my experience today 7/3/08 on a private Estate in MA. A friend of mine used to live here and the current groundskeeper lost a ring last week. My friend told him about my hobby, and I was more than glad to be of service considering I knew about this Estate. I will post some pics of the mansion on the property and the junk and nice coin I did find.
I found the 1909 Quarter under the massive oak tree in pic, in real good shape. I ended up with .64 Cents and some copper junk and a Coke bottle cap. (Not counting my 1909 Quarter!)
The house goes back to 1859, I didn't find much, but hope to get permission again to go on the property and maybe detect around the horse stable. The picture of the back of the mansion is only one of the 2 mansions on the property.
Hope you all have a Great 4th....

P.S. And NO, I didnt' find his ring..... too bad.. I was really looking forward to finding it for him.

HH
Mike B (NH) DFX

Attachments

• DSCN3888.JPG
    DSCN3888.JPG
    304.3 KB · Views: 1,097
  • 1909 quarter 7-3-08.jpg
    1909 quarter 7-3-08.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,090
  • 1909 quarter 7-3-08 001.jpg
    1909 quarter 7-3-08 001.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,081
  • Back of Mansion.JPG
    Back of Mansion.JPG
    280.5 KB · Views: 1,083
  • The Gate house.JPG
    The Gate house.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 1,052
  • large oak tree.JPG
    large oak tree.JPG
    292 KB · Views: 1,052
  • The Stable.JPG
    The Stable.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 1,043
  • My DFX at rest..JPG
    My DFX at rest..JPG
    297.1 KB · Views: 1,015
Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a fun time, congrats on the old silver!!! I hope you get to go back!!! :thumbsup:

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful location! Also, congrats on finding that Barber Quarter, very nice :thumbsup:

Looks like a lot of territory to cover there, hopefully they gave you some good clues on where to search, and hopefully you get to go back. As long as they see that your plugs are clean and that you leave no evidence of digging, AND you convince them that there is still a good chance of finding their ring, they should let you come back. :)

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
P

pariswalk29 (NH)

Sep 10, 2007
Derry NH
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hi again
Yeah, I tried very hard to make sure the plugs were clean and neat. The last thing I wanted was to look as if I dug up the place. With all the rain we've been having lately, I knew any evidence of me being there would soon wash away.
I had my DFX set on Deep Silver when I found the Barber quarter. I found it about 5-6 inches down. Being my first old quarter, you can imagine how excited I was to find this one. I'm still trying to get used to all the different tones on all the settings.
I used a 50-60ft string with a nail on both ends to use as a straight line and as a grid to follow, this way, I knew I was going to miss much. When I finished from one end to the other, I would move the string over about 3 feet walk back to the other end, do the same and then resume the search again.
HH
Mike B

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh Wow! What a gorgeous place to live...or to hunt. :icon_sunny:

Go slow...overlap your swings. The grid is a good idea.....and my last piece of advice, don't find the ring until you're done hunting his yard! :D :wink: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
P

pariswalk29 (NH)

Sep 10, 2007
Derry NH
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hi again
The copper pieces that you see are from the roof. When the guys made it, they didn't quite pick up all the pieces that they dropped on the ground. The white metal and the copper actually measured a 79-82 on my coin & jewelry mode that I had it on at the time. After digging these up several times, I was able to distinguish between a real coin and these copper pieces.
I hope to go back and actually try the prospecting mode for his gold ring, hoping maybe that would pick it up. The ring he lost actually broke in half, and only the lower part of the ring that goes under ones finger is lost. So its only a small part of gold that is missing.
We'll see what happens next.

Mike B

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you get to go back and hunt that place again. Super site. Congrats on a great Barber.
Burdie

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
That is a huge property!!! You must of had fun hunting there! Nice job on the 1909 Barber Qaurter! I would say that is an awesome day if you ask me!!! :thumbsup:

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Congrats on the Barber. I sure hope they give you the run of the place.
I'd even settle for digging a few pounds of copper.
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread