A nice hunt with a beautiful day and several finds...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a beautiful day here for late November, sunny and about 55F/13C. The field I chose to hunt today was plowed a few weeks ago, laid down nicely after plowing and the rain we have had has compressed it, also borders the Death Ally, one of the oldest roads of the town. The field was perfect for detecting. Had a teen girls physical education class come by when I was at the edge of the field, they were Nordic Walking. I thought Oh noooo and I did not see them coming! Their teacher approached me and said the girls would like to know what you are doing? And she did too! So I shut down the detector and explained my hobby, showed them a hand full of finds I had made and gave them a ten minute history lesson of the town. Just so happened I was able to point out a few areas of historical significance to the town from where we were standing, not even their teacher knew the town was founded in 1008 and had moved in 1250AD from its original location, one of the areas I pointed out. Their eyes really lit up when I told them they were walking along one of the oldest roads of the town, Death Ally (Der Todesweg). I have to admit, I really enjoyed the meeting. Their teacher asked if I was American, I said yes and she said, how do you know so much about the town? I said it’s my hobby. Here’s the finds, first picture is the field, still have a lot of it to cover if I can get to it but, I have two more days in this weekend.
24Nov06field.jpg

Some buttons.
24Nov06buttons.jpg

Three glass bead halves, a whole bead, half a terracotta bead and a small piece of ceramic. The Archaeology dept. asked me to pick up ceramic pieces as I go so I pick up a few of the unusual pieces here and there and will include them in my finds when I visit the Archie dept.
24Nov06beads.jpg

The coins, not in great condition. Two 1921 Aluminum 50 Pfennig coins, a 1924 Brass aluminum, 1890ish coin, 1940 zincs, 1875 and a few others.
24Nov06coinsO.jpg

Obverse of a rare lead seal, this one has a date on the reverse.
24Nov06lS1867R.jpg

Reverse of the lead seal with a date of 1867. Found one last week that has an 18 on one side and a 19 on the other, possibly 1819. I have many lead seals but only a few with an actual date.
24Nov06LS1867O.jpg

A few relics, an ornate metal piece, a possible harness décor, a newer buckle and a very nice copper thimble. The thimble is in great condition, thought it was a silver thimble as it has a very nice patina but after a careful look, it is copper.
24Nov06relics.jpg

Seven musket balls and two lead bullets. One of the musket balls looks to have been chewed on.
24Nov06mballs.jpg

And finally, a poor condition Bavarian silver coin from 1828. I was thrilled to find it and thought I could see the date of 1798 in the field. After cleaning it up, I was not sure of the date so I had to research the king. King Ludwig the first was king of Bavaria in the 1820s and 30s. This may be my contest entry for Bergie’s contest.
24Nov061828O.jpg

Reverse of the silver 1828, date is at the bottom and hard to make out. It is a 3 Kreuzer coin. HH, Mike
24Nov061828R.jpg

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Those are some beautiful finds Mike. That seal and the 1828 cpoin are just fabulous. But I really love those glass beads

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds once again 8) 8) 8)

HH
-GC

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,

You never fail to amaze us with your finds. Keep up the fantastic work, ugh..fun. ;D

HH

;) RR

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
You find the best stuff Mike, thanks for sharing them!
I always love seeing your treasures. There's a sweet variety here, congrats!

Smiles!
BDoo

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Some nice fiinds there, Mike. Congrats!
Sooooooo>>>>>you taught the teacher something, huh? Cool :)
Those blue beads seem to turn up alot. Any idea what they're from?for?
HH

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the nice comments! An update, the terracotta half bead is actually a spindle whorl, I had not thought of that but a forum friend IDed it. HH, Mike

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Congratulations Mike looks like a great day. Much better than the last one. I have to agree totally with Gypsy. I have found those beads really interesting. I don't remember ever seeing the beads while I was in Germany. Is it an older thing?

Postalrevnant

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, looks like you've found the field of metal detecting dreams!

I especially like the thimble, never found one myself - all your finds are remarkable and excellent storyline and pictures to go along with everything....very well done!

Good luck on your future hunts and keep 'em coming!

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
I must say here and now, that I envy all of you that live in an area rich with old history, or able to visit such a place!

neil :)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job one the history lesson Mike and some really nice find's....Kinda like the King Ludwig,I've been to some of his Castle's over there....Totally awesome....heard he was a big-time Hermit though....Nice Dig's..

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa!

Nice!

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread