63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked Hefty1 up at his place this morning and we headed for Auburn and the Edelwise Cafe. We met his older brother there and the three of us had a very good breakfast. From Edel we wandered down the street to "The Prospecting Shop", both establishments are on High St. Close to Elm.

The Prospecting shop was nearly bursting with Gear, They even had a complete 2" or 2 1/2" Back Packable Dredge with a 2.5 hp Honda motor, looked nice, $1400.00. Lots of sluice boxes, an underwater grizzly attachment for the Keene A52 flare, ~ $30 to make a sort of in the water high banker/Bazooka GT kinda/maybe unit, then a great matting selection, wet suits, high rubber boots, a good variety of picks/scrapers/diggers/beaters and the like, a type of Lesche though it was not but very solid and heavy, a new smaller double riffle box high banker with a small electric water pump, Paul Bunions Gold Pan ~ 4' in diameter (cute), motors with pumps from Keene, books, CDs/DVDs on how to Prospect etc., classifiers large & small of all mesh size, books/magazines, they still have the 14" diameter rock with the gold in it sitting where all can touch it, panning magnet, sample bottles, snuffer bottles and More!

It was a treat circling the floor finding new stuff to look at on each pass and discussing the items as seemed appropriate, picking up items that needed picking up and just wishing that our full tummies were about to head in on a trail that would take us to prospecting land.

I forced them to go with me as I looked at "Stuff" in two Firearms Establishments, one just off of high street and another out on Hwy 49. I think are just entering the buildings caused a fine layer of oxidation to cover all metallic items in the stores especially as we were fresh from the prospecting shop and still had not purchased a single thing, mouth foam was evident. Seems the identity stamping bill was passed in California, firing pin and side of casing. So the current lot of semi auto handguns currently in stores will go up quickly in price before the new units hit the stores IF the manufacturers can get the new technology to work under production conditions? Nice folks in all the stores we visited.

Then we were off to the three hour presentation, Question/Answer session.

Happy hunting fellow enthusiasts!............................63bkpkr

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Downtown Auburn is always a good place to visit. I NEVER miss the gold exhibit in the courthouse or the minimuseum either. TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many invaders and developement now as bad in 88 but traffic and congestion on 49 now ungodly-John

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love going into great mining shops. I miss Keene's OLd store and Hoser's too

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh, the "old shops"! They were marvels!! They had dusty 'stuff' everywhere and it was even useful 'stuff'. Nothing like a well stocked store full of unique, useful merchandise and stories to spin as well!!............................63bkpkr

How many here have owned or ridden on a Rokon two wheel drive motorcycle? I bought one in the late 70's, an amazing machine but it still takes ridding skills to get the most out of even something that has a maximum 'sustained speed' of 20 mph. I've been on some crazy trails with that beast.........................63bkpkr

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Herb your not going to believe this, but I met the guy in Mariposa who invented and sold the orignals. Name was Orla, and was from New Hampshire and now he lives right near Aqua Fria creek and had a nice proline dredge for sale. Nice piece but a bit pricey considering the current climate. He sent me a email a few weeks back and said he was moving from Mariposa, and had dropped the price on the rig, but still to steep for my budget.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In one of the adds for the bike one fellow put pontoons on it made a little floating trailer for his hunting dog to ride in and the unit was propelling itself across a lake. I wonder if he was the rider of that machine?

With the large tractor tires mounted on hollow sealed rims the bike would float, I accidentally tried that out once. It would go over a 3' vertical object and would go nearly anywhere except through gumbo mud. The mud would climb the chain, wedge against the drive gear and push the chain off, I also accidentally discovered that trait as well and what a mess!!

I'm surprised a fellow like that would buy equipment rather than make it all himself...............................63bkpkr

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ahh, the "old shops"! They were marvels!! They had dusty 'stuff' everywhere and it was even useful 'stuff'. Nothing like a well stocked store full of unique, useful merchandise and stories to spin as well!!............................63bkpkr

How many here have owned or ridden on a Rokon two wheel drive motorcycle? I bought one in the late 70's, an amazing machine but it still takes ridding skills to get the most out of even something that has a maximum 'sustained speed' of 20 mph. I've been on some crazy trails with that beast.........................63bkpkr

Here is a two wheel drive Rokon... It is an amazing machine. It does take riding skills.

rokon-trail-breaker-rokon-trailbreaker-motorcycles-26302.jpg

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always wanted to ride one of those as a teenager. Looks fun today too!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Will she fit on that tiny beanbag rear seat? I am sure the front chain guard is intrusive..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread