A nickel the hard way! Two 2 centers and a largie!

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Only had about a hour to hunt today so I hit a small home site close to my house that I've only hunted 1 other time without much success, today was different with the first coin coming out of the ground a two cent coin then a few minutes later another 2 cent coin ! Just before leaving close to the
1000000802.jpg
road I hit a 99 on the Deus 2 and out comes the large cent! A few other relics in the keeper bag. Turned out to be a good 1 hour hunt.
1000000804.jpg

Upvote 30

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some very nice finds! If I dig 1 two-center a season, I consider that a win. You managed 2 in one hunt with a LC kicker....great work. If you are finding large coins like that, I'm going to bet there have to be some silvers in the mix too. Let us know how you make out on future hunts at that site.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only had about a hour to hunt today so I hit a small home site close to my house that I've only hunted 1 other time without much success, today was different with the first coin coming out of the ground a two cent coin then a few minutes later another 2 cent coin ! Just before leaving close to the View attachment 2131265 road I hit a 99 on the Deus 2 and out comes the large cent! A few other relics in the keeper bag. Turned out to be a good 1 hour hunt. View attachment 2131264
Very Cool!!!! Congrats!!!!

JB Hunts

Dec 21, 2023
Only had about a hour to hunt today so I hit a small home site close to my house that I've only hunted 1 other time without much success, today was different with the first coin coming out of the ground a two cent coin then a few minutes later another 2 cent coin ! Just before leaving close to the View attachment 2131265 road I hit a 99 on the Deus 2 and out comes the large cent! A few other relics in the keeper bag. Turned out to be a good 1 hour hunt. View attachment 2131264
What mode in the D2 do you use when you hunt on land? Relic or Park mode? What other settings do you use within these hunt modes?. I hunt beaches, but I'm itching to try some old farmland that I can get permission for. Lmk, JB

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, I'm Jealvious. :icon_biggrin:

Am I reading 1864 on that LC?

How are the obverse sides of the twopences?
Curious that one of them seems to have been used as a contemporary(?) charm. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Oldrvrrat57

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What mode in the D2 do you use when you hunt on land? Relic or Park mode? What other settings do you use within these hunt modes?. I hunt beaches, but I'm itching to try some old farmland that I can get permission for. Lmk, JB
I programed in one I found on YouTube believe it is the best one! For hunting old homesteads. Nero's is the guy who posted it.

OP
OP
Oldrvrrat57

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gary Nero's program on YouTube its killer on old homesteads

OP
OP
Oldrvrrat57

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK, I'm Jealvious. :icon_biggrin:

Am I reading 1864 on that LC?

How are the obverse sides of the twopences?
Curious that one of them seems to have been used as a contemporary(?) charm. :thumbsup:
I have recovered several coins that are holed, I don't think the purpose was to use as a charm. It was a way of concealing their money on a string inside of their clothing

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I have recovered several coins that are holed, I don't think the purpose was to use as a charm. It was a way of concealing their money on a string inside of their clothing

I've read that sailors used to wear a coin around their neck to pay for their funeral if their bodies were recovered from a wreck.

I very much doubt that is why someone wanted to wear a two-cent piece. Perhaps it was a token from a loved one. Or for a child.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've read that sailors used to wear a coin around their neck to pay for their funeral if their bodies were recovered from a wreck.
I've heard that about pirates and earrings.

I think it'd have to be a pretty substantial coin to pay for a funeral. I just read that a (working class) 17/18thC funeral might typically run around £5. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread