A Personal Best Nickel Box

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I've basically given up on 1/2's a long time ago because they are difficult for me to regularly pickup and dump, they tie up money that I simply don't have, and the finds had pretty much dried up. Rather than inconvenvience the tellers with my erratic schedule, I've switched to the occasional nickel box, which they always have on hand and are happy to sell me. My current box has taken me almost 3 weeks to get through, but I did find a bunch of keepers and I've still got 5-6 rolls to go through. I found four war nickels, a 1935 buffalo, and a 2009 all in one box. My previous best was 4 keepers. Probably about 35-40 other pre-1960's as well. That was a fun box because I've been skunked on the last few boxes. The occasional skunk is normal, but even a 2 box skunk streak is unusual for me.

On the flip side, with the rain and hot weather, my foreign coin finds at the tollbooth have really picked up lately (I think people don't want to roll down their window to pick up rejects as much). I've been finding all sorts of cool stuff in the reject bins there. Sometime while I'm waiting in line it looks like the person in frount of me just keeps shoveling change into the bin without even looking first. I get a ridiculous amount of pennies from the reject bin, but the foreign stuff is my favorite. I think a lot of people have had fun spring breaks because there has been a spike in cayman island, bahama, and euro coins lately.

Upvote 0

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
summers are always beeter for me to, dawg. I had a similar box, 3 wars and a dateless buffalo nickel, as my best box, with many pre-1960s. Nickels have always been a favorite of mine. I also like nickels because I can stop in at any branch, and say, hey, can I get a box of nickels of you please.

Good stuff hokie, good stuff.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Hokie, sorry to hear about having to give up on the halves, I know they have always been a pain for you to search, nice nickel box though! You know, here you can bid on all the foreign coins that the toll booths collect and by them by the pound, I read about it a while back and never pursued it but I'm sure they do the same in your state too, you should check it out, I don't remember how I found it but, it was on line, I'm sure if you google it or research a little you'll find out about it in your state, good luck! HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
hokiemojo

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys. I basically just hunt for the occasional way to pass a few minutes. Like while I wait for the 2 year old to finish dinner (seriously, why do kids eat so slow?!?!)Nickels are easy to dump and provide rare enough finds to be exciting, but aren't as slow as cents (plus I feel like I need to save copper which eats into my bankroll). I appreciate the kind words from two of my favorite hunters/contributors.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
A five keeper nickel box is a great box. My last two nickel boxes have been skunks which is sorta unusual for me too, but fortunately my half boxes have been unusually good this month so Im a happy hunter. :)

Good luck next month and HH!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hokie, that is awesome! I love searching nickels, your post inspired me to go out and buy 4 boxes of nickels yesterday. Unfortunately my batch was a below average one only giving up a 1944P and a 1996-S proof. There were also 104 pre 1960 nickels.
HH
Buff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread