A Pillar Dollar with modern history

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd be the first to admit this coin is not in very good shape. I can't even make out the stamp on one side. It is still sulfided. From memory, I believe it dates either 1799 or 1801. I purchased it from Marty Meylach at the 1986 Shipwreck Symposium, at the Ft. Lauderdale Marriot. Not a bad historic souvenier for a twenty dollar bill. Also, he had two and three pillar dollars still attached to coral clumps for sale, for a reasonable $35.00 per clump. I did not have the cash on me and by the time I did leave the symposium, race to the bank and return, he sold out the clumps.

The modern history comes in because of how Meylach was able to attain these coins. As was my father, Meylach was a wooden boat carpenter. He noticed the salvage boats could not get near the shallow reefs around the Pillar Dollar wreck. Therefore, he built a shallow draft salvage barge for a one or two man operation, recovering many Pillar Dollars. I look up to him for his wherewithall because he proved even a person with limited gear and budget could be successful in shipwreck salvage. In later years after assembling all data I could attain regarding Florida shipwrecks; and, purchasing nautical charts of some of the keys, I wanted my father to help me build a similar work boat. Unfortunately, I gave up the dream due to the red tape and Florida salvage laws. The wreck is now protected by the Pennecamp Park, however, I highly recommend you read Meylach's book: "Diving to a Flash of Gold." It was an interesting story of his experiences and his success. I cherish this unattractive, sulfided, worn coin because of whom found it and sold it to me. I tip my glass to you Marty.

meylach-2.jpg meylach-1.jpg

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thanks for sharing. Technically, it is referred to as a Bust or Portrait Dollar. The Pillar Dollar has the two hemispheres between the pillars on the reverse and the crest on the obverse. Later (after 1771), the Bust dollar was produced.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing. Technically, it is referred to as a Bust or Portrait Dollar. The Pillar Dollar has the two hemispheres between the pillars on the reverse and the crest on the obverse. Later (after 1771), the Bust dollar was produced.
You are spot on Diver Down, A lot of people get the Pillar and Bust dollar confused, Both have the Pillars of Hercules, but the Bust has the ugly head of the king on the reverse.
Have a look at the Australian history of Spanish dollar with the center punched out !
Three rare coins sell for almost $900,000
Cheers, Ossy

cpt scuba

Jul 17, 2006
yep martys book got me into all this i just heard hes still around and kicking ..my copy of his book still has the map .. i faithfully found most every wreck and dove them when i lived in islamorada .. never got alot of coins but had a lot of fun and some good artifacts .. ahh the good old days

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions