Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this yesterday on a Northeast Florida Beach on the Atlantic Ocean and would appreciate any information you could provide. It weighs 3 Grams and is approximately 1.9 mm thick and is 16 x 13.7 mm in size. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

It is corroded and appears to be silver. I lightly brushed some corrosion off to see what it is, but, I would like to know how to clean it properly so that I don't diminish it's value.

I realize the pictures are rough but I don't want to clean it further.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

Attachments

• Spanish Cob1.jpg
    Spanish Cob1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 863
  • Spanish Cob2.jpg
    Spanish Cob2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 873
Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
First picture is suspect with dots in lieu of the castles/lions. It could also be corrosion/concretion that is masking the details. You'll need to clean it to ascertain whether it is real or not. If it is legitimate then cooking it won't harm it. A low amperage electrolysis treatment will break up the concretion.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You could use muratic acid to clean it. You can get that at a pool store. Put some very carefully in a plastic container, like a deli pint sized container or sour cream container type thing. Put in about 1/2" of water first, then very carefully pour in another 1/2" of acid, always add acid to the water, so it doesnt splash. Let it sit for 1/2 an hour or until it slows fizzing, and with a plastic fork, flip it for another 15 minutes to a 1/2 hour. Wear eye protection and do this where it wont make a permanant mess. Wear old clothes just in case. Rinse well, and let sit in fresh water for a while. This should clean it up. Electrolysis can and does make the silver pitted. Acid has no effect on silver or copper, just dont put them together in acid. If the acid does eat it, it was a cheap fake, but it is hard to tell from the pics.

OP
OP
Patrol

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information. I used my metal detector to find the cob in question. It was a fairly remote beach and I dug this piece from a depth of about eight inches. I see what you mean about the dots vs castles. I would hate to think that someone was so mean as to burying fake cobs to get an old man excited. That's elder abuse. I would consider this my best find ever, if it is real.

Tom

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If it is real, could be, it is a 1/2 or 1 Reale. Hard to tell much else. South American mint or European, not Mexican mint. But hard to tell much else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Patrol

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went by my local jeweler with experience with cobs. Without prompting, she put on a lupe and immediately said she saw the cross, the lions, the castles and the shield on the reverse. She also looked at the edge and she could see the silver. She is not an expert, but, it makes me feel a lot better about the coin's authenticity. I will take it very slow to get it cleaned up to be able to date it and get a mint.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like the real deal...but those stipples around the cross puzzle me. Let us know what you determine it to be. Good Luck.

OP
OP
Patrol

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upon further inspection, I believe it is fake. I have cleaned it up and the detail had not improved, I do not see any indication of castles or lions.

I will show it at our metal detecting club meeting and see what the old hands have to say.

Tom

graffixgirl

Apr 6, 2008
Orlando
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 800_MineLab Excalibur II_Titan3000DX w/DDcoil_minelab 505 w/DD coil AND "My vibe"
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
sure hope its the real deal, that would be awesome. still waiting to find my first one. but found other good stuff in leiu of a cob *W*

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I read somewhere that dots were used in lieu of numbers in some instance but I can't remember the details. It could be rare.
Aquanut

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shocked.gif
C
shocked.gif
o
shocked.gif
n
shocked.gif
g
shocked.gif
r