Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally got around to cleaning out my home office which doubles as my laboratory. It has hundreds of old buttons, bottles of hydrogen peroxide, aluminum jelly, an electrolosys tank and my photo equipment. My wife says it looks like the lab of a mad scientist, and keeps checking the closet for cadavers. :tongue3:

I was putting hundreds of flat buttons carefully into some boxes this evening, when the light struck one just right and I made out the shape of a wheel. Upon further examination, I realized it was no flat button, but a small Artillery button. It is not in very good shape but I am able to get enough detail to narrow it down to what I think it is. It measures 15mm and has no remaining back mark. My best guess is an 1814-1821 Artillery Corps button Albert's AY-55 AV.

Here are two views, the second is with a little petroleum jelly to bring out some of the detail.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 381
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 379
Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Save!
I love this type of Flat Artilleries,
I thought I had just one type with 10 balls in the pile,
noticed last night that I have one with 6 balls.
I have a copy of Tices uniform Buttons, I need to get the Alberts also.
Thanks for Posting! :thumbsup: Herbie.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Good eye, Neil! That's why I always check my flatties, because you never know what may show.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Kyle PA said:
Good eye, Neil! That's why I always check my flatties, because you never know what may show.

I check every single one as well. I am not sure how I missed this one, but maybe sitting a few days or weeks after the peroxide bath brought out detail that wasn't there before. Or maybe I am just getting careless in my old age :D

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Kyle PA said:

I check every single one as well. I am not sure how I missed this one, but maybe sitting a few days or weeks after the peroxide bath brought out detail that wasn't there before. Or maybe I am just getting careless in my old age :D
Doesn't happen to me because these are few and far between {older than CW military buttons} down here in the Cape . Great find and Many More for 2011 :icon_thumleft:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats why we keep everything ! Good save ! MaineRelic

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread