Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Low Country Yankee Post digs and a sweet "Fede" Sweetheart/friendship ring

:hello:

Happy new year folks. :)

Just getting back from one our South Carolina "Low Country" vacations on one of the beautiful Islands near Savannah GA. And I have to say, it was a beautiful trip with weather in the high 60's to mid 70's. My buddy and fellow treasure netter, rluckadoo, invited me over to his place on a remote Island where Revolutionary and CW presence was prominent at one time. We began our trek detecting a spot that looked promising to me to be somewhat higher ground and "camp friendly" for the troops. The property we detected was private, and we had full permission to search. Laws in South Carolina are nothing to mess with, you'd better have your permission. It wasn't too long I got a signal on my Minelab Etrac that sounded really high toned and solid. The target was deep and gnarled through roots of the native trees that occupy the quiet Island. After a few minutes, I uncovered, what looked to me to be a very old black powder flask skin shown below. After pocketing many very old shotgun husks/hulls, I received another good solid tone that turned out to be a standard Union "3 ringer" Before I hollered at my buddy to head my way, I wanted to be sure I was on to something. Not more than two minutes later in the thick canopy, I dug a real nice eagle button. Scovill~Watterbury Back mark. As my detecting friends know, if I happen to stumble onto anything promising, I will call them over to join in the dig. I sat the Trusty Etrac down and walked...well fast walked ;D towards Robert who was a good 60 yards North of me. I said to him, " c'mon man!" I think I may have found something. I showed Robert the Button and Lead and his eyes lit up and he said' "man, I have never found one those" my eyes then lit up and I said, "well buddy, your fixin to" :D I showed Robert the spot where I dug the Eagle coat button, we then both rebooted our Etrac's, and a quick noise cancel and proceeded to sweep. It wasn't but a few minutes later I heard Robert say something over my Grey Ghost N.D.T. headphones. I shifted one ear piece over and yelled back, HUH? Robert then said, "It's a button!"
Knowing this was probably his first CW button I sat the machine down and did another fast walk back towards him. I could see the tiny button in his palms and after a close look, indeed! His first Eagle button. We did a brief celebration and went back to the beeping. After digging many iron and unidentified brass objects, I received a faint, but decent tone suggesting something decent might be laying beneath the coil. I dug for a few minutes and after a pulling another cuff button, Cool! I always run my coil over the plug even after I dig a decent relic, just to be sure I didn't miss the target I initially heard. Sure enough, a mid grunt announced over the phones saying, "I'm still here" I pulled my trusty and reliable Detector pro Pistol probe pointer out, and sure enough, the target was at the bottom of the plug. I grabbed a handful of the beautiful moist black soil and sat it to the side. With another quick scan with the pin pointer, a ring folded over. An old ring... I picked up the ring and took a close look. To my surprise, I saw the two right hands shaking suggesting the ring was given to the soldier by his girlfriend/friend as an engagement or friendship/fidelity.. Fede rings, as some are called, have existed since the Roman times, having been a part of Roman or Greek culture, or possible both. They were discovered to be worn often during medieval times.

Irish Claddagh rings belong to a group of rings that are called by the Italian name “Fede”, meaning finger rings, or as some have called them, “Faith” rings. There are several different designs of Fede rings, but the distinguishing characteristic is two clasping hands symbolizing the pledging of love.
The ring is tiny...really tiny. It fits on my 9 month old's thumb. To me, this would have to be one of my more special relics ever dug in a camp. Not that's it's valuable or anything, but the story of him bringing it to the location where it was lost. It makes you wonder what happened for him to lose it. He must have been very upset. I really had a great day detecting with my friend, and I hope to be back soon. I know this site will have many, many relics to come in the future, judging by that that 3 hour hunt that afternoon. Another great metal detecting memory to add to my list.

The Eagle Cuff button on the right in the third photo is rlukadoo's first CW button :headbang: :hello2:

Attachments

• PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 855
  • PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 866
  • PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 881
  • PICT0016.JPG
    PICT0016.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 854
  • PICT0017.JPG
    PICT0017.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 842
  • PICT0018.JPG
    PICT0018.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 838
  • PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 849
  • PICT0020.JPG
    PICT0020.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 864
  • PICT0021.JPG
    PICT0021.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 838
  • PICT0022.JPG
    PICT0022.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 857
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 827
Upvote 0

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Low Country Yankee Post digs and a sweet "Fede" Sweetheart/friendship ring

Sweet Etrac Finds Mike..
That ring has some history...find of the weekend for sure.
Eagle Buttons are welcome finds as well.
Nice to hunt with a friend...and share the experience :thumbsup:
Later Bud..
Scott

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Way to go Mike. When I talked to you on the phone I could tell you were excited where you were hunting. I really like that ring. Congrats on helping Robert get his first CW button.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations Mike. Those photos of the "Low Country" take me home as that's where Im originally from. I grew up around Sullivans Island, Jekyll Island, St. Simons, Cumberland Island....the Georgia Coast. I get back there from Virginia several times a year when I need to get away from Ole Virginny for awhile. Terrific find on the ring there my friend and as always, Civil War relics are always welcome. Thanks for the photo of the palmettos and spanish moss especially!!! I miss those two things the most up here :wink: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :wink: :occasion14:

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL

great finds.

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

{Sentinel} said:
Congratulations Mike. Those photos of the "Low Country" take me home as that's where Im originally from. I grew up around Sullivans Island, Jekyll Island, St. Simons, Cumberland Island....the Georgia Coast. I get back there from Virginia several times a year when I need to get away from Ole Virginny for awhile. Terrific find on the ring there my friend and as always, Civil War relics are always welcome. Thanks for the photo of the palmettos and spanish moss especially!!! I miss those two things the most up here :wink: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :wink: :occasion14:
Yeah for sure right? Those trees are amazing. I'm down there 2-3 times a year . There is nothing like the Low Country. We should hook up down there some time

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Great story & sweet finds!
good to get your partner onto his first Eagle :hello2:
The ring looks to be old Silver :dontknow:
I dug an old silver Claddaugh (not the emerald one) that was also very small in size,
Black & crusty. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=317332.0
Awesome Scenic Shots!
Glad you enjoyed Your Trip :thumbsup:
best to You & Yours, Herbie.

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

steelheadwill said:
Great story & sweet finds!
good to get your partner onto his first Eagle :hello2:
The ring looks to be old Silver :dontknow:
I dug an old silver Claddaugh (not the emerald one) that was also very small in size,
Black & crusty. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=317332.0
Awesome Scenic Shots!
Glad you enjoyed Your Trip :thumbsup:
best to You & Yours, Herbie.
Nice Herbie!

I read about that variety of Fede's. That's an Irish one I believe.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II

Sounds like a great trip and kudos to you for helping your friend get their first button. A few years back I had the opportunity to visit (before I was into MDing) an island right off of Hilton Head. Beautiful country down there.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Way to go. Awesome finds.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

some sweet relics right there! awesome ring! :thumbsup:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice relics and ring Mike. You said you made some good finds in SC and they are good. Congrats to Rluckado on his first (and cetainly not last) Eagle button. I'm sure he was excited to hold a piece of CW history in his hand that was worn by a CW Soldier nearly 150 years ago. He brought it to the light of day. I really enjoy recovering those relics as I know you do. WTG & HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

VOL1266-X said:
Nice relics and ring Mike. You said you made some good finds in SC and they are good. Congrats to Rluckado on his first (and cetainly not last) Eagle button. I'm sure he was excited to hold a piece of CW history in his hand that was worn by a CW Soldier nearly 150 years ago. He brought it to the light of day. I really enjoy recovering those relics as I know you do. WTG & HH, Quindy.
Thanks Quindy,
Yeah, since then he had dug a few more plus other relics...right in his own back yard!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Look's like you two did very well on the relic's Mike :thumbsup: The Eagle's are a nice bonus as well,too bad they're Yankee :laughing7: I found one of those ring's before but it was silver and I found it on a Yankee Tot-Lot,go figure !!Look's like some pretty country.....nice dig's Mike

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
Well done.

Thanks for taking the time to post your outing and pics, made me feel like I was there. Congratulations on the finds. :thumbsup:

rebeljim52

Sep 20, 2009
Silverstreet SC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000 and used XLT E
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds in SC.Enjoyed pics and your web page.

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter big bud pro

Sweet finds and very groovy ring!

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds