North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
the field or site is 30-35 acres
garden is about 300 feet by 400 feet
artifacts every place
cant find as much in the garden as the corn, punkins, squash, taters and maters etc got the ground covered
but the rest is good for walking as it is not planted

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
Ya I'm kinda wondering too, what age is most of the stuff you find? And is there a river, stream, or plains around? What culture were these people that made all that awesome stuff?

Also do you just plow the unplanted so you can find things? What's the gentlest way of doing so? I have some places in my timber along the creek where I'd like to do some "test plots" for artifacts. Places where its never been farmed before.
Thanks Larson

OP
OP
F

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
Thank you Larson for the information. I noticed the post below about the age of the site . How old do you think the site actually is ?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all_atv, I can answer that question for you I believe. Larsons site is a possible Madan/Hidatsa/Aritra Indian site which pretty much corresponds with the Ft Ancient/Mississippian sites of the Ohio valley and the southeast and probably run from around 900 AD to contact period of around to 1700 to 1800 AD.

Here's a couple of links about the Mandan, Hidatsa, and Aritra Indians which all could be part of Larsons site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandan

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/tribes/mandan/mandanhist.htm

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
last occupation was what SRV said
however i find pelican lake and duncan hanna pieces as well as some older than that so it must have had many occupations in the last 8000yrs
it used to have a water supply

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
Thanks thats neat, I think the culture/history behind a piece is very important as well. I'm looking up those cultures now. And I'm still researching the cultures around my area.

OP
OP
F

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
I thank you both Larson and SRV for you information. Larson you are one lucky man having such a site. I really like seeing your artifacts. It is very interesting seeing the artifact's in your area and then looking at mine and seeing the difference between your's and the ones we have here. Keep posting them I sure do enjoy seeing them. :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread