A question for those who have found gold coins....

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Minelab Excalibur II
I also posted this in the "Coins" forum... Just looking for answers / opinions.

I have been purchasing older coins lately to work up a good "old coin" pattern for my explorer, like what is shown in Andy's book, and it got me thinking. My question for you "Gold Coin Club" members is what denomination did you find, and what type of area was it found in? (Old farm house site, woods, older occupied home site etc.) This isn't a question as what to buy to add to the program, I can just run it wide open and dig everything repeatable, I am just curious as to what is the most commonly found gold coin. There were 19,534,693 one dollar coins minted in three varieties, but they are TINY and could present a detection problem due to their small size, conductivity, and possible depth. However, I would think there would be far more of these in the ground due to their smaller denomination. (People might have actually USED them, and LOST them due to their size etc) Larger gold coins would be easier targets to detect due to their size, but they might also be deeper due to their weight, and how many of them were actually USED in day to day life. Any thoughts??
HH Joe

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Gary, for some reason, gold coins are found most often out west. I know of a lot of hunters out here, who have found one or two, or even more. If you assembled a group of, say ... 20 hardcore good hunters from the west coast (ie.: the caliber of hunter who has a good collection of seateds, early buttons, relics from the 1800s, etc...) I bet that at least half that 20 hunters would also have a gold coin or more, to show as well. But contrast that to back east, where there are a LOT of hardcore-aces, who have scores of seateds, busts, colonial coppers, reales, large cents, etc.... and NEVER found a gold coin.

I don't know why there are more found on the west coast, but it just seems to be that way.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Duane B said:
CZ-Utah (a guy that used to post on here) found one of the $20s, and a couple of the other gold coins. Many of mine are not in the photo. This photo is on the back cover of my book. Enjoy!
Duane
MyTreasure.jpg

Very impressive finds! :thumbsup:

11KBP

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rmptr said:
Jim McCulloch said:
One problem, though, Half Eagles land smack dab in the screw cap range, VDI of 50-55 on the DFX, XLT, MXT, etc. Hope this helps; HH Jim

I believe this to be true. :thumbsup:

Dig 'em all !

I have heard some good hunters saay the same.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes mine read as a zinc penny in Coin Jewelry mode and pulltab on my M.X.T.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions