A question on a quarter

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to lurk here... dial up speed makes posting on a regular basis a true pain in the kiester. However, I do enjoy all the threads and read each and every one,

I went to the bank yesterday and managed to get $100.00 in quarters and $100.00 in dimes. It was skunk on the quarters with one unusual coin. At first, when I looked at the eagle, I thought... silver. However, the date, 1978, negated that. But when I look at it, the head and the eagle appear to be silver... or more appropriately each has a `frosted`appearance.

Any ideas of what it might be.... and I am sorry about the lack of pictures.... again, dial up negates anything like that unless I wish to spend a large amount of time for things to upload

Upvote 0

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's not an S mint mark then the quarter is coated with something and no value except a quarter. :thumbsup:

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a proof to me. But check the mint mark, should be S.

I went through a box with 7-8 silver plated halves. WTF? Who is spending time and money on that? Its pretty obvious from looking at the edge that they are plated. Way too bright.

OP
OP
bartholomewroberts

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looked.... it has a S to the right of Washingtons head

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
bartholomewroberts said:
Just looked.... it has a S to the right of Washingtons head

Proof quarter :icon_thumright:

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is a proof. keep it. after all all you are sitting on is 25 cents. lucky.

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dial up still exists!? lol jkjk but nice find on the proof .25! :icon_thumright:

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they did make silver quarter proofs in 1978. How does it sound when dropped on a table as opposed to a clad quarter?

OP
OP
bartholomewroberts

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Th3Offspring said:
dial up still exists!? lol jkjk but nice find on the proof .25! :icon_thumright:

Where I live, it is dial up or nothing... Even cell phones do not work here.. But at least I have access, albeit limited speed access

On the plus side, I have 20 plus acres with my own river... no mortgage and all the growing, hunting and fishing I want.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
mountainman 2 said:
I think they did make silver quarter proofs in 1978. How does it sound when dropped on a table as opposed to a clad quarter?

No, other than the 40% Bicenentennial set, all quarters have been the standard copper-nickel variety since 1965. Silver proof sets started up in 1992.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
bartholomewroberts said:
Th3Offspring said:

Where I live, it is dial up or nothing... Even cell phones do not work here.. But at least I have access, albeit limited speed access

On the plus side, I have 20 plus acres with my own river... no mortgage and all the growing, hunting and fishing I want.
Congrats on the quarter. Slightly off topic I have to ask, have you looked into sattellite internet? Mifi probly wouldnt work if you have no cellular reception.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generic_Lad said:
mountainman 2 said:

No, other than the 40% Bicenentennial set, all quarters have been the standard copper-nickel variety since 1965. Silver proof sets started up in 1992.
Yes, you're correct GL. I had googled 78 silver proofs sets earlier and though someone had one for sale. When i searched again tonight, i saw something else saying that no silver proofs sets were minted in 77 or 78. My mistake. Live and learn.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
fistfulladirt said:
. . . Slightly off topic I have to ask, have you looked into sattellite internet?

Satellite internet will work anywhere in North America.

It is better in some respects than dial up. I went from dial up to satellite (Starband) to cellular/EVDO. Satellite was good for large downloads - much, much better than dial up (1Mbps). It was marginally better than dial up for uploads (200-300kbps). The huge disappointment was browsing (50-60kbps). It is really no better for browsing than dial up. The problem is with the multiplexing that they do along with the latency overhead to go to space and back for every xfr.

I paid $900 for equipment and installation but had no problem whatsoever pitching that equipment into the recycling dumpster when I found the first alternative that came along.

OP
OP
bartholomewroberts

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
madwest said:
fistfulladirt said:
. . . Slightly off topic I have to ask, have you looked into sattellite internet?

It is better in some respects than dial up. I went from dial up to satellite (Starband) to cellular/EVDO. Satellite was good for large downloads - much, much better than dial up (1Mbps). It was marginally better than dial up for uploads (200-300kbps). The huge disappointment was browsing (50-60kbps). It is really no better for browsing than dial up. The problem is with the multiplexing that they do along with the latency overhead to go to space and back for every xfr.

I paid $900 for equipment and installation but had no problem whatsoever pitching that equipment into the recycling dumpster when I found the first alternative that came along.

That is exactly my problem up here.... I pay $20.00 a month for dial up.. Satellite is about $60.00 per month for not appreciably faster service... I cannot justify the extra expense for marginal service improvement.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
bartholomewroberts said:
madwest said:
fistfulladirt said:

That is exactly my problem up here.... I pay $20.00 a month for dial up.. Satellite is about $60.00 per month for not appreciably faster service... I cannot justify the extra expense for marginal service improvement.

I simply wont live anywhere I cant get high speed. As stated in another thread, I have been online for 30 years. I started out on 120 baud dial up connection ( 56.6 is 56,600 baud to give you an idea of how slow it used to be ).

went to Speedtest.net and tested my connection twice.

119 ping - 30.83 mb down - 3.06 mb up
117 ping - 32.51 mb up - 3.07 mb down

Basically, I can download 1000 megs or nearly 300 songs in about 6 minutes.

In fact, most of the TV I watch is from Hulu or the broad cast channels website. I can watch it when I want let alone be tied to a specific time. I could not live without my internet connection.

OP
OP
bartholomewroberts

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The_EE said:
bartholomewroberts said:
madwest said:
fistfulladirt said:

I simply wont live anywhere I cant get high speed. As stated in another thread, I have been online for 30 years. I started out on 120 baud dial up connection ( 56.6 is 56,600 baud to give you an idea of how slow it used to be ).

In fact, most of the TV I watch is from Hulu or the broad cast channels website. I can watch it when I want let alone be tied to a specific time. I could not live without my internet connection.

I can appreciate the fact that you want high speed.. To me, although high speed would be wonderful, I want the security of my own land first. The times are too tenuous right now for me.

I enjoy people... but I love the fact that my closest neighbour is one mile away.

To each his own.

And with dial up, at least I do have internet service

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
bartholomewroberts said:
The_EE said:
bartholomewroberts said:
madwest said:
fistfulladirt said:

I can appreciate the fact that you want high speed.. To me, although high speed would be wonderful, I want the security of my own land first. The times are too tenuous right now for me.

I enjoy people... but I love the fact that my closest neighbour is one mile away.

To each his own.

I would love having everyone far away as well but I cant do without. I am torn in two directions :D

OP
OP
bartholomewroberts

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The_EE said:
bartholomewroberts said:
The_EE said:
bartholomewroberts said:
madwest said:
fistfulladirt said:

To each his own.

I would love having everyone far away as well but I cant do without. I am torn in two directions :D

But at least you can get to a number of banks in a reasonable time.... I have only one tiny CU where I live.

When I go to town is the time I get my rolls to search.... and that happens only every 10 - 14 days

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions