a question on copper pennies

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I know, I know. I'm normally the one who ANSWERS questions on copper pennies. have done them long and strong for years. But now I have a question. I am in Arizona, and moved to pennies when the halves dried out. Was selling a LOT of them at 1.6 cents per penny for a while, then 1.5 and finally 1.4 cents per penny. Then prices dropped and I quit selling. Started stacking. I've done that before, and then sold when I had a stack. But now, been stacking for a LONG time, and with prices down I can't sell. Not at these prices.

Until now.

I am going to be moving. Moving from Arizona to up north (Colorado or Idaho are the two possible sites) And I was told the WEIGHT of my move would determine the cost. Now, let me tell you, I have a LOT of pennies. About 3,500 pounds worth. yes that is right, not $3,500 but 3,500 pounds. About 1.75 tons. I knew as soon as prices moved up, I'd sell them again, so stacking was fine with me. If it took another 5 years to go from 1.0 cents each (face value) to selling at 1.5X face once again, that is 50% in 5 years, and not bad. But I can't pay to move them!!

So I want to sell them. Sell a LOT of them. I'm even willing to sell them CHEAP now, because the situation has changed. I'm going to sell at 1.1 cents per penny. Pretty darn cheap. I've put them on Craig's List, and gotten a few replies, but not much. Here's my question.

I know there are some sites just for pennies, and copper pennies. I thought one was realcent. but when I went there, it was real estate. WHO knows where those forums are, and how I can let people know I want to sell my pennies. My price is for pick up here, and I'll sell by weight, not count, as counting would take a few MONTHS. LOL. When I was selling $70 in a medium priority box for $105, it was worth my counting them out. Not when I want to sell this many. I just can't find those sites though where people talk of copper cents. For the number I have, and my price, I figure someone would come to get them. there are enough to make it worth a trip (if you have a big enough vehicle. big truck, or a trailer)

Anyone have some info they can share with me on it?

CRH has been a blessing to me. I sold my 40%ers off a few years back (before the machine change in Phoenix) and put rock and desert landscaping in my entire front yard, as opposed to the grass that was there. I still have my 90%ers, my other silver, and my wheats. Lots of wheats. I'll probably continue once I get relocated. But I need to sell these coppers now, as they are not worth it to move them. Thoughts??

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
first off they are cents not pennies ...unless they are british money ... but gee its going to be costly to sell them as the "shipping" cost to mail them will be huge ...

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first off they are cents not pennies ...unless they are british money ... but gee its going to be costly to sell them as the "shipping" cost to mail them will be huge ...

I hate it when people correct people calling them pennies. He can call them whatever he wants. They print the word pennies right on the box and wrappers of the roll. Both pennies and cents are accetable. Everyone knows both words so it doesn't matter what you call them.

As for the OP problem, what is your time frame on moving? If you have a few months I would continue selling on craiglist, or I would use an APP called wallapop or similar app that acts just like craiglist where you put items up for sale and people in your area can buy them. Worst comes to worst, you can take them to a bank that has coin counter and dump them $50 at a time. Or do a combination of all three things

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a heavy dilemma. I would take your Wheaties....:laughing7: But that is a helleva lot of cents.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
How are you moving? If shipping everything thru a freight company, then yes, your coins will probably cost you at least .3 cents each to move. However, if you love yourself using upack, you pay by the size of the container, not by weight. Upack is the service where they drop off freight containers at your house, you pack them, they transport them to your destination, and you unpack them. A friend did that to move his household from the Midwest to Vegas. An extra ton or do didn't matter. Cost for 2 containers (3 bedroom house contents) from Phoenix to Denver is about $1,500.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I know there are some sites just for pennies, and copper pennies. I thought one was realcent. but when I went there, it was real estate. WHO knows where those forums are, and how I can let people know I want to sell my pennies. ...

Anyone have some info they can share with me on it? ...

realcent[dot]org
No cost to you to sell, just need a short history of being a member (10 posts)

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I dunno much about copper cent selling at all. I have $175 of copper cents laying around but that's it. Not going any further. I wish I had ideas for you in that department. I think the only use for them for me would be if I wanted to make my home bullet proof using brick boxes of rolled copper cents between the walls as support. LoL

I am really curious, by searching through that much in pennies, I'm guess you've probably found an example of every wheat cent except for 1909-S VBD?

Hopefully when you do make the move, you'll be finding keepers again. In the Southwest, I heard New Mexico isn't too bad. I read some forum member on another site post lots of silver finds in boxes out there. Although, if I was to move anywhere in the country for CRHing silver, it'd be the North Atlantic East Coast.

Last edited:

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
SFbayarea I was wondering the same thing. You got any semi keys and keys from all that cent searching jrf30? Haha

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you go to realcent (dot) org try reaching out to highroller4321. He is Adam Youngs, and his business is copper cents at his company called the Portland mint.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and I thought I was a hoarder

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
free suggestion: bury them in the desert on public land. Then retrieve them later or sell when price goes up.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were to sell them for melt, considering the copper melt value right now is $2.06, and your copper is at 90% purity, the value of your 3,500 pounds of pennies is $6,492.15, which is the equivalent of 918,750 pennyweights and app. 22,050,000 grains. This makes no sense to me. What the h--- is a pennyweight?! If it were the weight of a US penny, you would have $9,187.50 worth! I don't get it!

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact your previous buyers and offer a "moving sale" discount.
If you end up nearly giving them away at face value, at least it would be your loyal customers that benefit.

OP
OP
jrf30

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
answers:
“I am really curious, by searching through that much in pennies, I'm guess you've probably found an example of every wheat cent except for 1909-S VBD?”

Mostly, although some are pretty rare still. I still have zero of the 1909S, 1910S, 1913S, 1914D, 1924D, 1926S, 1931S, 1932, 1933 and 1933D.

“You got any semi keys and keys from all that cent searching jrf30? Haha “

Yes. My oldest is a THICK 1862 indian head. IN whets, I have 2 - 1909 VDB, 1911D,1911S, 1912D, 1912S, 1914S, 2 – 1922D, 171 steel pennies, and over 15,000 total wheats. I’m keeping the wheats. J

“He is Adam Youngs, and his business is copper cents at his company called the Portland mint.”

I talked to him. Great guy. Right now he is not buying though, because of the price.

Sold almost $1,000 face from leads, and will work on the rest over the next few months. I'll repost on CL in three or four weeks, and see if new buyers come in. As for realcent, I was using dot com instead of dot org, so that's why I could not find them. Thanks.

Huntcrazy

Feb 14, 2016
Middleton, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter treasure hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They won't take them for melt, its against the law to melt any money except coinsfor there silver content....

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They won't take them for melt, its against the law to melt any money except coinsfor there silver content....

Most people are speculators. They're buying for cheap now hoping the penny is discontinued and melt will be legal.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to the CRH discussion Don.

Currently, the only coins that the "melt-ban" apply to are the 1-cent and non-war-nickel 5-cent coins.

It is entirely legal to melt Quaters, Dimes, Halves, and Dollars of any alloy. Obviously no one would choose to do so, but it is legal.
It is also entirely legal to melt 1942-1945 nickels that are comprised of the war alloy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions