"W" Westpoint mint mark

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only W minted coin I could see being found in rolls is the 1996W dime. The West Point mint tends to mint coins for collectors. I have read that some people have gotten the 1996W dime in change but not in a roll.

Here is a post that someone sayd they got one from a mcdonalds and they also post a picture.

1996W Roosevelt Dime - Coin Community Forum

Last edited:

scottw

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been fortunate enough to find 2 of these in the last 25 years.
I have also been unfortunate enough to have lost them both to theft.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been fortunate enough to find 2 of these in the last 25 years.
I have also been unfortunate enough to have lost them both to theft.

It's only been 20 years since they were minted. Just sayin'. :cat:

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
To me, the two holy grails of CRH'ing are the 1996-W dime and the 1976-S 40% quarter (BU or PF), the rarest of the rare. Barbers, seated anything, Morgans, whatever. Find the '96-W or '76-S silver quarter and you've joined select company. I've found 4 '76-S silver halves but I'll never find the quarters that were put into circulation with them.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, the two holy grails of CRH'ing are the 1996-W dime and the 1976-S 40% quarter (BU or PF), the rarest of the rare. Barbers, seated anything, Morgans, whatever. Find the '96-W or '76-S silver quarter and you've joined select company. I've found 4 '76-S silver halves but I'll never find the quarters that were put into circulation with them.

Is the 1996-W a silver dime? I only edge check dimes so if it's clad then I will never find one.

scottw

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, didnt find that many of them before 96! lol I guess it just seems the last 20 years have taken 50 years to unfold!

SilverLunker

Nov 4, 2013
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I service vending machines and a few years ago I came across 2 1976 BU silver quarters! I know they have some value but didn't think they were rare.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I found the 1996-W dime, maybe 6 or 7 years ago.

I think I've also found the 1976-S silver quarter, but I can't remember for sure.

I haven't been searching much for the past couple years as other hobbies have taken over my time. I still read a few posts every week, but usually don't have much to add.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I service vending machines and a few years ago I came across 2 1976 BU silver quarters! I know they have some value but didn't think they were rare.

They aren't rare, just a rare occurrence to find them in circulation compared to the much higher chances you have to find the half or dollar coin from the same set.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty amazing that some of you have found '96 W dimes in rolls. I can't imagine many at all are out there. I wonder if the mint thee the unsold coins back in the day into circulation the way they do with the unsold NIFC halves. Seems like the only possible explanation. I only edge search dimes so I will never find one.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Since I rim & date search dimes, I guess I'll have to watch a little closer from now on. I check about 150 boxes per year, but haven't caught my eye yet. Thanks for the heads up guys. HH DozerD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread