creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I woke up today and it was raining pretty good but I figured, hey , this thing is waterproof so let's go. I figured I shouldn't go to far just in case it started dumping buckets on me. I have my limits. I've pounded the crap out of this site for 2 years but I figured maybe the water would help. After 3 hours, I had nothing but some broken brass and 2 ox shoes. I was about to call it but decided to check something first. This is where I found some jewelry last year, I wondered if I got it all. Yup, nothing. Ready to call it, I started walking to my car . All of a sudden I got this loud , crappy grunt mixed with a great high tone. I put the shovel in , expecting to hit a stove lid( I've dug those before) but it was what was left of what I think was a metal box. I scanned it again, this time just the high tone. I put the shovel in , pulled out some dirt and saw a silver handle. Went back to my car and got my digging tool since I nailed but other spoon with the shovel. I pulled out 4 spoons. They're not sterling , coin silver, but I'm good!

ForumRunner_20150602_162443.png

ForumRunner_20150602_162456.png

Upvote 15

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you please take a close up of the marks on backside... ?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah , I too would love to see the mark and the engraved handles as well ! Coin is .900 fine ! I'd much rather find old coin
silver spoons than newer sterling ones . In the early U.S.- Coin silver was the go to supply of silver for the working silversmith.
I do sort of cringe when I envision some of those coins dropping into the crucible (in addition to Spanish and other foreign,
there would have been untold numbers of Draped Bust series , Capped Bust , and early Seated Liberty series too ) I think
your spoons are circa 1830's -1850's . Outstanding Finds !

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CREADE YOU ARE GRANTED A REPREIVE, AND THE 4 1700S SPOONS, HAVE SET YOU FREE,VANZUTPHEN

OP
OP
creade

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the pics. 2 spoons are the same

ForumRunner_20150602_174252.png

ForumRunner_20150602_174318.png

The next one

ForumRunner_20150602_174351.png

I can't read the next one. This is the best I can do with my camera and my eyes suck

ForumRunner_20150602_174520.png

ForumRunner_20150602_174535.png

I think the last pic says boston

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the added pics ! Is the word coin on any of them ? (how did you ascertain the alloy ?)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot read them at all... the marks...
You may have to use a tooth brush and water in a circular motion on the marks for a few seconds...
see if you can make out those marks.

The reason I am interested is because you just MAY have some cool history here...

These may or may not be a couple of possibilities...

OR use a magnifying glass and try to see the marks and relay here.

OP
OP
creade

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starr& Bacall,A.Richardson, A.Holmes are the names

OP
OP
creade

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a A

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welp I am familiar a "J" Richardson... Joseph Richardson of PA... , c.1770 - 1780
His stuff goes for some bucks...
I do not know if there is a relation here.

Maybe someone here has some extra knowledge on these flatware pieces.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to hear more about this metal box and how they were buried. I always get excited when I come across perfectly vertical buried metal cans and jars. Been a few times I have ran into old coffe cans and jars buried perfectly vertical, like it was intentionally place that way and not just tossed like dumped trash. Once dug complete mason jar, it was broken but obviously buried whole and standing up right. That got me going for a second. Of corse they were empty.....

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice spoons finding a set like that is a great find in my book !!! :occasion14:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a very special find ! I'm still interested to hear how you established the silver content ? I'm also interested in the
remnants of the container these were found in -

OP
OP
creade

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't do any acid test or anything like that. The way I determined it to be coin is first off , a magnet. I always have one with me when I go out. This was non magnetic. It is also very soft. Silver plate is rigid. And( someone told me this) silver has a "smell to it" . I didn't believe that one until I found a spoon 2 years ago. What i found was essentially 2 rusted pieces of metal that were joined together at 90 degrees. One side was 6-8 in by about 10. That's what I pulled up. The rest had disintegrated into small little pebble size pieces . The dirt around these seemed awlfully , so I wonder if they were wrapped in something that is long gone. I think that this was probably someone's good silver that maybe they used on a special occasion and whether the place burned down or something happened,it was left behind. I tend to think that maybe Indian raid? But who knows. I don't see any evidence of a fire that I've seen in other sights( ash,charcoal or charred chimney bricks)

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
creade

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone that collects silver told me that . When you do a rub, that's when you smell something. Its very faint but I smell it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions