Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, gotta get this off of my chest.

Message to White's, Minelab, and Garrett:

Why are your best machines so blasted HEAVY????

I have been researching my next detector for a couple of months and thought about getting a really good one from one of the above.

Forget it.

It's always the same from users: "I love my Sovereign/E-Trac/Spectrum/DFX/GTI/GTA,etc., BUT... I can only swing it a couple of hours before my arm wears out."

Really? Yeah, that's what I want: rotator cuff issues when I'm in my 50's because I swung your 4.5 lb. detector the last ten years.

Looks like Garrett is trying with their AT PRO (but its not a top end detector).

Fisher/Teknetics/Tesoro seem to have cornered the market on light weight detectors.

Guess I'll have to do my shopping with these guys. Are they as good as the big three? Well, I guess I'll have to find out.

The rest of you manufacturers need to lighten up! Pun intended.

Ok, I feel better now. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So true my friend. The only hip mountabe White's are the waterdetectors. I like my DFX till I pick it up so I use my Tejon. But I am mainly loving water hunting so all my water detectors I carry around my neck except when I am diving. Most detectors are heavy even with the use of a shoulder strap to support the weight. Tejon weighs 2.98 lbs. and the Silver Saber Umax 2.2 lbs.

Attachments

• Tejon.JPG
    Tejon.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,843

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Smudge said:
Ok, gotta get this off of my chest.

Message to White's, Minelab, and Garrett:

Why are your best machines so blasted HEAVY????

I have been researching my next detector for a couple of months and thought about getting a really good one from one of the above.

Forget it.

It's always the same from users: "I love my Sovereign/E-Trac/Spectrum/DFX/GTI/GTA,etc., BUT... I can only swing it a couple of hours before my arm wears out."

Really? Yeah, that's what I want: rotator cuff issues when I'm in my 50's because I swung your 4.5 lb. detector the last ten years.

Looks like Garrett is trying with their AT PRO (but its not a top end detector).

Fisher/Teknetics/Tesoro seem to have cornered the market on light weight detectors.

Guess I'll have to do my shopping with these guys. Are they as good as the big three? Well, I guess I'll have to find out.

The rest of you manufacturers need to lighten up! Pun intended.

Ok, I feel better now. Thanks.
Smudge .. I have used so many different detectors that IMH the top line Tesoros Fishers & Teks... Are just as good as the top of the line high priced Minelabs,Garretts & Whites......Could be i am getting old & weak but the AT Pro even with the Gizmo on it still seems heavy or not balanced that good to me........And i am not going to wear a harness of any kind so i can swing a detector.... I am not a jack ass or mule.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a C&G Bobcat that was a zero motion TR unit and you just slid the coil on the ground. The box was on your belt and weighed almost a pound with batteries. :thumbsup:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
I used to have a C&G Bobcat that was a zero motion TR unit and you just slid the coil on the ground. The box was on your belt and weighed almost a pound with batteries. :thumbsup:
I think they make them heavy to make you think you are getting your money's worth.......

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy said:
Sandman said:
I think they make them heavy to make you think you are getting your money's worth.......

Let's see what comes out of the ground. THEN I'll know if got my money's worth. :icon_thumleft: :D

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Compared to the White's 6000 DiPro I swung for years, the DFX felt like a feather. I didn't particularly care for the DFX tho so I sold it and bought the Vision. Still feels light as a feather compared to the 6000.
I'll be 56 this year and have arm muscle issues and arthritis setting in. I'll still use the 6000 because I'm the most comfortable knowledgably with it but use the Vision after a particularly rough week at work....which seems to be all I do anymore is work.
The vision and the DFX I might add are ergonomically designed so the weight seems distributed better that my old 6000 with it's big box. Fatigue doesn't seem to be an issue and I don't use the velcro holder. That arm rest makes a world of difference.

I'd suggest trying someones before you rule them out.

Al

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out swinging a Garrett MH7. All day long, and never tired a bit. Compared to that, my E-Trac is a featherweight. The fact of my arm getting sore is just a fact of my old age.

Sure there are lighter detectors, but they don't work as well, so I deal with it.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
I have been detecting for over 40 yrs and have swung my share of heavy detectors, but I can't do it any more. Fortunately I don't have to, the F75 is as good or better than any of the competition. I refuse to use a heavy detector, it takes the fun out of detecting. I have a Whites surf master which is light and hip mountable, the rest of my detectors are lite weight Fishers and Tesoros.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It just doesn't make any sense.

The old time detectors had to be heavy, the technology just wouldn't allow for anything less. But now you see those old time detectorists abandoning the heavy machines in droves in favor of lighter ones and to heck with the bells and whistles.

Times have changed and I have a very hard time believing they cannot make the detectors lighter.

I think it has more to do with not wanting to spend the money to do a redesign. Maybe if they start losing precious market share because of it they'll change. JMO.

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
I will add, the F75 is light and easy to swing and has a fair amount of
adjustments that can be made with 2 controls on the face plate.
I can change setting with one hand while walking.
The big screen is nice also, heck if it has a screen you should
be able to see it. :evil6:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think you're gonna see an IPOD with a toothpick shaft and microscopic coil any time soon.

Manufacturers have to make them sturdy enough for those of us that drag the coil on the ground like we learned how to, occasionally drop them or beat one off a rock, house the electronics to take some vibrations, the weight of the shaft for the average person's height and the weight of the coil with enough material on it to protect the metal coils from years of scuffing.
Yes, it does make sense that detector's will have some weight to them for both price and durability. The electronics make up the tiniest amout of weight I'd think. And don't forget the batterys. That's the biggest weight saver with Lithium Ion tech.
Make a better battery and maybe you'll get a lighter detector.

Al

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, Tesoros are both light AND well built. Unfortunatly, if you want the deep one you have to settle for one tone. If you want the one with multi tones, you have to settle for less depth and no manual ground balance. If you want the one with a meter, you only get one tone and no manual ground balance. If you want the one with multi tones AND a meter, then you won't have manual ground balance in disc mode and depth still is not on par with the upper level machines of other brands. That's why so many Tesoro owners..................own so many Tesoros. I would like to own another Tesoro myself, but until they can give me all that in one package I will probably go with the F75LTD.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be 63 on my next BD and I can swing my Sov GT with the SEF 15"x18" Butterfly coil or my Excal with WOT coil all day long with out a problem and I mean dawn to dusk, I use a harness, it's a piece of cake.....

A Harness is a valuable tool for our hobby just like the pinpointer, scoop, lesche digger or any other accessory that we use in our hobby........

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Treasure_Hunter said:
I will be 63 on my next BD and I can swing my Sov GT with the SEF 15"x18" Butterfly coil or my Excal with WOT coil all day long with out a problem and I mean dawn to dusk, I use a harness, it's a piece of cake.....

A Harness is a valuable tool for our hobby just like the pinpointer, scoop, lesche digger or any other accessory that we use in our hobby........
When I was 63 I could swing a heavy detector all day too and.. without a bunch of harness and wires, but now that I am 75 I prefer a lightweight detector that I can just pick up and go with. Whether its on the shaft or hip mounted you still have to carry the weight around, IMO there's no excuse for heavy detectors and batteries. If Tesoro and Fisher can do it why can't the rest of them?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
AUDuke said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

When I was 63 I could swing a heavy detector all day too and.. without a bunch of harness and wires, but now that I am 75 I prefer a lightweight detector that I can just pick up and go with. Whether its on the shaft or hip mounted you still have to carry the weight around, IMO there's no excuse for heavy detectors and batteries. If Tesoro and Fisher can do it why can't the rest of them?
AUDuke ..I am with you there when i was 63 i could swing the detector all day also...With out a harness................. Now that i am 71 it is a whole different story i agree if Tesoro and Fisher can do it the rest of them should be able to do it also.........

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
AUDuke said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

AUDuke ..I am with you there when i was 63 i could swing the detector all day also...With out a harness................. Now that i am 71 it is a whole different story i agree if Tesoro and Fisher can do it the rest of them should be able to do it also.........

Harness is still a tool, a tool each of us can choose to use or not use......I don't have to have the harness in order to detect, only that with it, it makes it so much easier and more enjoyable to hunt.......

I have joined a gym again so that when I am 75 things will be easier.....Two miles on the treadmill plus 1-1.5 hours weight training 3-4 times a week and I cut out 90% or more of my sugar I was consuming.........I haven't had a soda, piece of candy, cookie, cake, pie ice cream or donut Since December 15, 2010 plus I now check the sugar content of everything I buy.... Course that doesn't man I want get hit by a Pepsi Truck hauling cola...... :laughing7:

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
My 2nd detector, bought new, was an early 70's Coinmaster III. Obviously it was heavier than my current Ace 250. That form factor of detector is gone, yet I miss it. I could completely relax my neck, shoulder and elbow . . . just let the detector dangle in my fingers. A little flick of the wrist would send it back and forth over the grass. Choking up on the handle would bring the loop higher, working your fingers down toward the box would bring it down. You just had to adjust the stem to be comfortable. I bet if we had today's tech in lightweight boxes of the old style there would still be a number of people that would prefer them. Call 'em "retro".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread