Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, gotta get this off of my chest.

Message to White's, Minelab, and Garrett:

Why are your best machines so blasted HEAVY????

I have been researching my next detector for a couple of months and thought about getting a really good one from one of the above.

Forget it.

It's always the same from users: "I love my Sovereign/E-Trac/Spectrum/DFX/GTI/GTA,etc., BUT... I can only swing it a couple of hours before my arm wears out."

Really? Yeah, that's what I want: rotator cuff issues when I'm in my 50's because I swung your 4.5 lb. detector the last ten years.

Looks like Garrett is trying with their AT PRO (but its not a top end detector).

Fisher/Teknetics/Tesoro seem to have cornered the market on light weight detectors.

Guess I'll have to do my shopping with these guys. Are they as good as the big three? Well, I guess I'll have to find out.

The rest of you manufacturers need to lighten up! Pun intended.

Ok, I feel better now. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Good discussion here. :icon_thumright:

I wanted to add a perspective from someone who swings a 5- pounder for 8 to 12 hours a day during the season. My friends who use newer and much lighter detectors have complained about cutting through tall grass and getting the coil to the ground. The same complaint for the water and other challenging situations.
My old, perfectly balanced 5 pounder (1266x) cuts through tall grass better than a light machine.
In fact, the weight and balance keeps the coil consistently to the ground, giving a better sweeping pattern. Just because a machine is half the weight, does that mean it is perfectly balanced? Not always. A light, 2 pound machine is no good if it isn't balanced properly. Your body has to compensate for this resulting in other sore muscles, most likely muscles you never knew you had!
Putting the carpal tunnel aside, ;D there are advantages to a well balanced, heavier machine. Especially since no one seems to cut their grass anymore!
Cheers,
Dave.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daedalus said:
There is one that is made in France coming out , and I will have to look it up again but it does not have any wires , the coil and headphones are wireless and from what I have read it is a very good machine. Taking the wires off has dropped the weight quite a bit.
You might do a search on this one and see but I remember when I read about it I said was that is light for a detector . But I do not remember what it was lol.
I will see if I can find it again and you can do a search also. And I think it was going to be sold here in the U.S .

I hope this helps....
http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/uk_index.php

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think you guys have missed something! The Rover 007. It resembles a cane and a cell phone. It runs on 2 AA batteries and is wireless. It will go down 32'. www.kellycodetectors.com/okm/okmmaim.htm
It might be the answer to your prayer if your bank account is big enough.
Frank
PS. I couldn't pull it up at kellyco so nyou will have to look at the full page ad in March/11 Lost Treasure page 43 It sayes, available now in the ad.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Smudge said:
gleaner1 said:
Smudge simply speaking it's too expensive to lighten up. High end machines have big powerful circuitry requiring heavy power sources to get decent battery life. Things always get lighter as technology gets better, its a matter of time. They can do it, but it would be a major cost, all the engineering and tooling and manufacturing costs are easy for the consumer to overlook. Take a machine like the Etrac, it has a huge power sucking processor and just look at all the complex plastic moldings, the battery compartment, all that stuff needed for a sturdy quality unit. It's expensive as it is, all 3.3 lbs of it. It costs huge dollars to engineer lighter parts and to re-tool the molds and boards and chips. And when it's all said and done and they come out with a new magic wand, it will be more expensive, and everyone will complain about how flimsy and crappy it feels, especially for that outrageous price they want. Sorry for the rant!!!

Not at all. What you say makes sense. I have a feeling though that now that several lighter weight machines are coming out, the heavy manufacturers are going to be compelled to do likewise if they don't want to lose market share.

There are always those who will be willing to swing heavy detectors, but manufacturers know that most would choose the lighter over the heavier, even if the heavier had more features.

I don't know, Tesoros been around for years, they have always been lighter and haven't seem to made a difference.....

I think Tesoros are in a unique place. Their user tend to swear by them, but because they are so small and light weight I think too many people shy away from them until they actually use one, if ever.

Sure, not everyone is going to love Tesoro, but I think part of that may be due to the fact that they lack the prestige of White's or Minelab. We can sit here all night and go back and forth over whether or not Tesoro's are as good as their competitors, but that will get us nowhere.

I think Tesoro might be in for some redesigns now that "bells and whistles" detectors like those Fisher's and Teknetics light weight detectors are on the market. I'll be interested to see what sort of impact they have on the industry as a whole.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I have no idea how well a Tesoro works. I was always turned off by their appearance. They look like someone went to Radio Shack and picked up some parts and hacked them together on his dinning room table. They need to change their appearance.

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Pro, Vaquero, Cortes
I have 2 Tesoros, a DFX and AT Pro. The Tesoros work as well as the DFX, are much lighter and more comfortable to use for extended periods. As for appearance, I couldn't care less. Function is what I care about not cosmetics. I guess I'm becoming somewhat of a minimalist to a degree.

longsocks

Oct 17, 2005
Wisconsin -south of milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 --- FISHER F - 70 Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swing a fisher F- 70 get 40 + hrs out of batteries.. I find its the lightest detector, that I have owned over the years ..

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking of getting a G2 or simmilar lightweight soon. Currently own a (heavy) detecor and a couple of Tesoros. Would much rather carry extra weight for extra features. If Vaq had multiple tones I think it would be cats meow.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have heard so many people asking for more Tesoros with multi tones. I sure hope they're listening. It's funny though, the one machine they have with multi tones (4 of them), the Golden uMax, is also their slowest seller.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Smudge, You are driving their prices up on E Bay, check it out! :director:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Smudge, sounds like you would be very happy with an F75. One of the lightest, most advanced and most sensitive machines out there. You want top model features, in a light package. The F75 fits you like a tee. But it wont beat the lowly ATPro in the depth department. Weight the options.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Smudge, I don't want to throw Whites under the bus. The M6 is really light and balanced and effective. I can't see the top end Whites as being too much heavier at all.

Digger82

Mar 5, 2009
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,Golden mask 5+, Makro racer 2 pro pack and Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dirtscratcher said:
Thinking of getting a G2 or simmilar lightweight soon. Currently own a (heavy) detecor and a couple of Tesoros. Would much rather carry extra weight for extra features. If Vaq had multiple tones I think it would be cats meow.

Then you will like the Top of the line detector Xp deus, its total weight is only 2.3 lbs and with that weight it will swing itself. ::)

goldseeker4000

Mar 5, 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Smudge, have you picked up a Minelab X-terra705? It is a professional level detector and it is very light weight. Also look into getting your shoulder operated on. You will be out of commission for about 6 months but it will do wonders for you. I had same problem as you but it did not go bad from swinging a detector. I had surgery and It is very strong. Only have problems throwing a rock at long distances or heavy force. Other than that it is about 98-99% back to normal.

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out with a Bounty Hunter TR550D in 1978 (what a piece of junk), then in 1987 I bought a Whites 5900 (blue box). Neither of those machines would qualify as lightweight or ergonomic. I did notice after a couple hours swinging the 5900, my elbow would need a break, so I would get something to drink and rest a bit. Thats when I was 23-ish. In 1992 I became a Whites dealer and saw the great relief that came with the S handle configuration, even tho the detectors were the same weight as my 5900 blue box , just the redesign of the handle was a huge improvement. The XLT was another big step and as far as swinging the coil on it or my V3i their weight really aren't an issue at all. I have a Tesoro Tejon as well and yes, it is light and easy to work, but I really don't feel much difference from the XLT/V3i. A great thing about both White's and Tesoro, they are both made here in the U.S.A. That means something for me.

BlueDuck

Jun 26, 2009
Hayden, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Bounty Hunter
The weight of the detector don't bother me as much as getting up and down on targets. After about three hours I need to sit down and have a beer.

01 medicated

Mar 2, 2010
N.C.
Detector(s) used
MXT 6x10dd-4x6dd
Been swingin my MXT for 6 yrs its not my arm that gives out its my knees from diggin all the targets

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BlueDuck said:
The weight of the detector don't bother me as much as getting up and down on targets. After about three hours I need to sit down and have a beer.

...........right in the middle of the tot lot. "Hey kid.......ya got a smoke on ya?" :laughing7:

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
01 medicated said:
Been swingin my MXT for 6 yrs its not my arm that gives out its my knees from diggin all the targets

I hear you! :icon_thumleft:

I have the same problem with my Tesoro. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread