A review of the ACE 250

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I've used 3 other metal detectors in the past, and about 2 years ago I had bought a "Treasure Hunter MD3010" off of ebay. I still wasn't happy, and after much good advice from members here, (where else would I go) ;) I decided on the 250 and it arrived about 3 weeks ago.

Since I'm primarily interested in coin hunting, I've left it in the coin mode exclusively for now, and had about 100 hours in the field with it so far.
This thing is the best coinshooter I've ever seen. It has proven to be highly accurate, and I've dug pennies at 8 inches.

The batteries last quite a long time, I've hunted hard for two full days on a single set. The depth reading is fairly accurate, as well as the target ID. When in pinpoint, it will pick up all surrounding trash next to your good hit, but with a little practice you can work around that. It is nice and lightweight, and the controls are right at your fingertips for easy pinpointing, etc., not like some of the others. I bought mine off of ebay, brand new for $189.00 with free shipping.

I've found 25 coins in my yard alone that two others have missed, and dug about 150 coins and 3 rings so far with it. I love it!!!!! ;D

Attachments

• aatotal.JPG
    aatotal.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 1,127

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
scotto I’ve been using an Ace 250 for a few months now, it’s my first real detector so I’m not really qualified to give advice but just like allot of folks I have .02.
I’ve found that for pinpointing on the beach, where pinpointing exactly isn’t as important, the coil tip down method works better or just as good at the pinpoint button.

Very nice diggs.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
congrats on the finds and on the new machine. the ace is a lot of detector for the money, isnt it!

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
Another good ACE review!!

After my 2nd weekend out, I have decided that this machine is definitely a coin hunter. I still have a problem with nickels - but that is because I do not always dig the nickel signal. Seems like when I do I get trash. Whereas the penny, dime and quarter signals are right on.

Also still working on pinpointing - it isn't too bad at the tot lots with wood chips, but when I clean out all the schools here, I will be moving on to other type of fields. Hopefully by then I will be great at pinpointing.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I've still to write a review on my 250, but when i do, I can't think of anything bad to say about it. It does its job getting me my coins, clad or silver. I've put a few hours.............well more than a few hours into it and it's been a good experience.

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Stacylee926 said:
I still have a problem with nickels - but that is because I do not always dig the nickel signal. Seems like when I do I get trash. Whereas the penny, dime and quarter signals are right on.

Same deal with me as well. I've heard it makes a slightly different tone for a nickel VS a pull tab or foil, but I haven't heard it yet.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
scotto said:
Stacylee926 said:
I still have a problem with nickels - but that is because I do not always dig the nickel signal. Seems like when I do I get trash. Whereas the penny, dime and quarter signals are right on.

Same deal with me as well. I've heard it makes a slightly different tone for a nickel VS a pull tab or foil, but I haven't heard it yet.

it does sound a little different on a nickle than on a piece of junk. a nickle sounds a little more "focused" sounding. kind of a tighter cleaner tone than a pulltab. its hard to describe. after a while more times than not, you will be able to tell the differance.

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Be careful about not digging nickels, I’ve found two 925 silver rings and they both sounded like nickels.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah they do sound like nickels and the only gold ring I found since Christmas with my Ace came in as a great sounding nickel too.

oshis1

Apr 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Classic, Garrett ACE 250
Just ran out and bought an ACE 250 yesterday. I watched the DVD twice, jumped in the car this morning to try it out at a local park. I spent 4 hours, barely scratched the surface (no pun intended) and after enjoying myself so much I hesitated to leave!

Love this machine! The ID feature is "iffy" in the nickel catagory but it is a powerhouse! Found pennies at 6+ inches and located an "Old Mr Boston Brand" bottle beneath the roots of an old oak tree at 8+ inches (thankfully it still had it's shot glass metal cap to lead me to it)! I located pennies, nickels and dimes - no problems!

I cannot wait to get a Sniper Coil (tough getting up to the metal swingsets and slides as this little machine starts singing at 2+ feet from them)!

I bought my ACE 250 from Al Holden of Pro/Stock Detectors in Plainwell Michigan. What a nice guy! No leading me to a more expensive unit (Whites DFX) he told me that this was the unit to buy and he was right. My previous MDing was with my dad's Coinmaster 4 and 4 DB. What a difference!

I wish it had adjustable volume control but other than that I LOVE IT!

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oshis1...The Ace is one heck of a machine....and I'm not going to say for the price either...Heck..for coinshooting I would put it up against most any other...btw..Welcome to TNet..You will love this site..full of information and nice folks to help..and we even have a sense of humor..HH

jeffmrgan

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
explorer se /whites xlt
the main problem i've had is sometimes i get a good coin signal and dig it only to find a smashed beer can. the beer cans i can find at a good depth. the deepest coin i've found was probably 5 inches or so. Normally this wouldnt be a big deal, but if hunting where there is lots of trash this can get old>

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
An aluminum can it usually easy to expose. It's a can if ------------
1. As you sweep the coil raise it off the ground. If it still beeps when your coil is 12 inches off the ground.

2. You pinpoint the target. Visually or physically mark the target center. Now swing the coil over the target at normal height while bringing the coil back to you. If the center of the target still beeps past the coil.

3. You re tune the target and 3 times in a row the tone nulls almost completely out.

4. You use a probe pushed into the ground to feel the target. Then you able to push the probe through the can.

5. Your depth says it's 2 inches. Then you raise the coil 2+ inches and the depth still says 2 inches instead of 4.

6. When you pinpoint - visually imagine the size of the target. If it large the it's a can.

All these things can be done in 20 seconds if you suspect a can. It's not fool proof. Just some tips to digest.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Khouse is right on the money with those techniques for disguising a can........the one that I use with an almost no failure rate is the sweep the coil 10-12 inches off the ground or higher. If it's still sounding off loud, it's a can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread