My new ACE 250

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
I got a BH for Christmas and really liked it, but I knew I wanted to upgrade. My ACE 250 arrived Friday and I took it out on Sat. Oh, got some headphones too because the ACE is LOUD!!

I went to a new site on Sat first. The site was pretty trashy, but has alot of potential. I was actually getting frustrated because it was beeping on every step. I ended up going to an Elementary school so I could focus on clad and practice.
Apparently I was skipping the nickel tone and only digging quarters, dimes and pennies. At this point I realized that the ACE is so much better than my old BH, but I will be digging more for sure! I don't dig every signal, but I am going have to start or else I will miss too much.

One thing I miss that the ACE does not have - on the BH, the depth indicator stays on and continues to show the depth of the last item found until the next target is found. I constantly referred back to it. On the ACE, the depth indicator goes away after maybe 10 secs and I had to rescan the spot to ck. Just a minor thing, but something I used all the time.

Mr Garrett recommends using the all metal mode for 10 hours while practicing with the new machine. There is no way I can listen to all that noise for 10 hours!

OP
OP
S

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
I was mainly posting my observations after my first hours of using it - and comparing it to my BH that I have used for 2 months.

Took my ACE out again last night to an elementary school that I had hunted before. Since I had done a pretty good job of clearing the tot lot before, I thought it would be a good test to see what else I could find. I ended up with .32 in clad, which was probably dropped recently based on the depth. I was able to distinguish the tones a little better and am learning it slowly.

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Stacylee926 said:
Mr Garrett recommends using the all metal mode for 10 hours while practicing with the new machine. There is no way I can listen to all that noise for 10 hours!

Hey Stacylee: Mr. Garrett's advice may be the way to go, but as you said all the signals can drive you nuts, particularly in the beginning.

For me, I followed the advice of some others, starting out strictly in Coins mode and over time moving the discrimination back until I was in Relics mode, where I have stayed. And yah, you do need headphones with volume control.

Dick

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
pretty soon you will be able to tell a pulltab from a nickle by the tone alone. there is a subtle differance. the ace is a really nice inexpensive machine. i like mine almost as much as my GTI 2500. they are really pretty impressive for the money.

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
hollowpointred said:
pretty soon you will be able to tell a pulltab from a nickle by the tone alone. there is a subtle differance. the ace is a really nice inexpensive machine. i like mine almost as much as my GTI 2500. they are really pretty impressive for the money.

It took me a few months, weekend hunting, to tell the difference between some trash and good stuff but like hollowpointred said the difference can be understood. Most trash and can slaw has a sharper, more broken tone.

BTW I hunt in all metal mode because it’ll bet a little more depth, the noise of trash doesn’t bother me and I like to decide what to dig and not dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions