A shipwreck on land...

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A few miles south of the Strait of Magellan near Cape Horn a long narrow channel named "St./San Sebastian" formerly flowed from the ocean 35 miles inland where it connected with the Strait of Magellan near Porvenir, Chile. Many wrecks went down in this channel prior to it's natural closure in the early 1800's. The narrow channel combined with the bay tides acted like a chute with a ferocious tidal flow that was legendarily harsh to sailors, they often skipped San Sebastian Channel in favor of the "calmer" Strait of Magellan to the north.

The coordinates I had for a certain wreck kept showing up on land to the point where I thought I was crazy but the more I researched the more plausible it became. Here are the links that show earlier maps of how the areas waterways changed dramatically and a Google earth image so you guys can see where the ocean scarred the land and flowed through... will I ever dig up a shipwreck down there, probably not lol but I thought it was interesting how dynamically our world changes sometimes.

Historical maps and evidence from past visits to the area:
In Search of San Sebastián

Todays view, you can see where it ran SW from what is now Bahia San Sebastian: https://maps.google.com/?t=h&q=http://mrdata.usgs.gov/mrds/kml.php?labno=10039038

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know, could happen.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It's the same on the Mississippi. In places that have changed course, there are now landlocked wrecks. I imanige there are quite a few wrecks buried under dry land. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The paddle steamer Arabia , hit a snag and sunk in the Mississippi in 1850 , it was found in 1985 1/2 a mile from the river buried 30 feet under a corn field , its more than possible to find land-locked wrecks as water courses Do change constantly , good luck with your searches .. cheers Mick

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read about this many times and from what i read it is not uncommon.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Padre Island , Texas. Hurricanes push ships ashore and bury them. Have seen a couple that were discovered...

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, great replies guys, I had a feeling there were other spots that waterways had changed completely or enough to leave wrecks on what is now dry land. That Mississippi story is pretty cool. Keep posting landlocked wrecks:)

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
It has happened.I forget the exact details.Once when the Mississippi flooded.It changed course during the flood.A Steam ship was found buried under a cornfield.The ship was previously under water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread