CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. The eBay address my friend purchased his counterfeit Garrett ProPointer from is, tstrick972. This person is located in Georgia. We should have a return address in a day or two. Also know, the person is now selling a Garrett AT-Pro package. I obviously can't comment on the validity of this Garrett product as I have not viewed/tested it. But, PLEASE BEWARE of the above eBay address!
Also, my friend is giving me the "fake". Do you think the best thing to do is send it to Garrett? Please let me know your thoughts. Peace

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd sure pass it along to Garrett, since they may be able to do something legally to stop the fakes from being sold.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if it is fake you should do something as they have sold 17 of them since Aug..

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello. The eBay address my friend purchased his counterfeit Garrett ProPointer from is, tstrick972.

tstrick972...that almost screams scam...once you know he sells fakes. Thanks for passing on the info.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks SusanMN! I just spoke with my friend who purchased the fake. We will take your advice, and send it to Garrett as they have the need and resources to deal on a large scope. I must admit though, I would love to disassemble the thing. ;)
Not sure of a response time, but when/if Garrett responds, I'll let ya know. Thanks again. Peace

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett needs the fake to be able to legally defend their line. China gets away with so much c--p it's not funny, may be Garrett's will give you pics of the disassembled fake and a discount coupon. Thanks to you I will now be sure to get my pro pointer from n American dealer, Garrett's! Thanks!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Curious how you figured out it was fake. I bought mine from Ebay 6-7 years ago so I am assuming I got a real one ? It works great but it looks exactly the same as the one in the ad posted of the Chinese version. PM if you don't want to reveal the differences here. No need to let the fakers know where they messed up so they can fix the next batch.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your friend hasn't given feedback yet he can alert others with it. Also file a claim with Ebay.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious how you figured out it was fake. I bought mine from Ebay 6-7 years ago so I am assuming I got a real one ? It works great but it looks exactly the same as the one in the ad posted of the Chinese version. PM if you don't want to reveal the differences here. No need to let the fakers know where they messed up so they can fix the next batch.

I dont think they will be modfiying them in China...what pisses me off is the guy selling is from the US.

And yes....he "might" have no idea that he is selling bogus pinpointers...But I really doubt that.

There was a post not long ago with a video of the Fake...the button is different....and a dead giveaway is that it doesnt work a shiiiii

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I initially started a thread entitled "Fake Garrett ProPointer". Days later, I posted this thread with "Update" in title. The initial thread contains exacts as how the fake was discovered. Today, Charlesp54 has given more info on this infestation. Aliexpress.com is evidently also selling counterfeits. Please Beware!
I will post answers from Garrett as received.
Thanks, HH and Peace!

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
What tells you that the ones from Aliexpress.com are fake? They are certainly being sold cheap enough!
Baggins

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is time to ban/ outlaw any imports from china- it is all CRAP!!! When was the last time you bought anything "Made in China" that held up and lasted? That is one reason I don't shop at Wally-World, all they sell is this low grade CRAP. Shouldn't our gooberment be doing something about these patent and copyright infringements? The Chinese just make cheap copies of someone elses quality product and then flood the market with their CRAP.

Last edited:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
united you stand devided you fall

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some very high-quality musical instruments that are Chinese-made of excellent raw materials. They have similar quality to Gibson guitars, for example, at one-fourth the price. The difference is cheap labor, but not unskilled labor.

In the ukulele business, some of the best quality imports are coming from China. They enable people to buy a nice hand-built instrument for $300 that sounds almost as good as $1000 Hawaiian-built instruments.

It has been my experience that Chinese workers are not producing junk IF given good raw material. You are seeing the result of crappy materials given to them to produce JUNK for the American market. Companies like Levis are producing goods in China and other places, using cheaper material than they used in the 1970s. Back then, I bought their jeans for $11 a pair. Now, they are $65 a pair at Kohls.

Thanks to the IMF and the UN, you are seeing the redistribution of wealth and it seems odd that the going rate for paying third-world labor is 18 cents-per-hour.

BTW... two products from America you won't see counterfeits from China... Zippo lighters and Buck knives. Both are made in USA only and do not export anywhere near China. It is American companies manufacturing in China that are being copied. Ironic isn't it.

I am a guitarist and have owned literally hundred's of guitars over the last 30 years. I must strongly disagree with you about the quality of these chinese instruments. I have found them to be of very poor quality. A nice shiny finish does not make a good guitar. The woods they used are not aged or cured properly, the glues they use do not stand up to the test of time (have actually seen a Chinese Les Paul knockoff where the neck tenon actually came unglued and the neck came right off.)
The Chinese have no interest in environmental safe production nor long term quality. In short, the wood they use sucks, the finishes they use suck, the electrical parts suck and in short their guitars suck!
As far as boycotting Chinese goods, we (Americans) have dug ourselves a hole that we can never get out of. We are so dependent on Chinese (cheap) goods and the fact is that the world economy would collapse if there was a large scale boycott.
We live in an instant gratification society that has absolutely no interest in how our actions will affect the future generations.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm finally pissed off by a comment! What you proclaim is absurd and off topic. Ukuleles!? This thread is about fake, ie, counterfeit Garrett ProPointers that obviously stem from China. You use words like, "similar" and "high quality"? Shame on you. Buy AMERICAN!!!!!!! Peace

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm finally pissed off by a comment! What you proclaim is absurd and off topic. Ukuleles!? This thread is about fake, ie, counterfeit Garrett ProPointers that obviously stem from China. You use words like, "similar" and "high quality"? Shame on you. Buy AMERICAN!!!!!!! Peace

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. You are right. The counterfeit goods business is terribly troublesome. As for Garrett, I hope that they can get the US government backing them in this. A lot of government facilities use their industrial security machines. The ProPointer is my pin-pointer of choice.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well so far there is no proof that they are fake ...... Just a lot of people talking and not knowing .... Hell they could be the one's that make the pinpointed for garrett..... You have been talking about it for 17 days now with out any proof either way....... The way you all are going could be next year at this time you might know something............

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well so far there is no proof that they are fake ...... Just a lot of people talking and not knowing .... Hell they could be the one's that make the pinpointed for garrett..... You have been talking about it for 17 days now with out any proof either way....... The way you all are going could be next year at this time you might know something............

They could be and should be but you have no proof otherwise that they are original unless your selling them yourself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread