A short walk, few finds, but happy ones!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went for a walk around the mansion today. Have I mentioned that the
finds are getting few and far between? ;)

2014 (226).jpg

2014 (227).jpg

Neat top part of a utensil of some sort.

2014 (228).jpg

When I was digging this up this was approximately what I saw first. A "reeded" sort
of edge, BIG roundness, and a glint of gold!! (almost a 911 incident! LOL )

2014 (229).jpg
2014 (230).jpg
2014 (231).jpg

Don't find many with a date, very happy! :)

2014 (232).jpg

When I dug this up all I saw was a blob of thin metal and dirt.
but, flip it over and:

2014 (234).jpg 2014 (233).jpg

How neat is that?

2014 (235).jpg

AND!!! A RING!!! but I am unsure. It came out shiny like that, is non-magnetic, tested ok for just about all my gold tests, but it's not marked. :( Can stainless be non-magnetic? How do I tell? :dontknow:

But! Ya know what? The ring isn't my "star" of the day! It's that piece of a utensil.
Look what I found when I turned it over!

2014 (236).jpg

The color is a bit strange. Sort of whitish. It's only been rinsed. Tested for silver though.
But LOOK at that detail!!!

2014 (237).jpg 2014 (238).jpg 2014 (239).jpg 2014 (240).jpg

Now that is what I call craftsmanship!! Artistry even!!! :)
It weighs in at over 9 grams!

I REALLY like this lil piece!

Ya know, one of these days, someone is going start shouting at me about one of my "whadifinds" and start screaming DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU GOT THERE!!!!!? LOL

Thanks for peeking!!

Last edited:
Upvote 3

foolishgold

Feb 15, 2014
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks just like the 1940's silver lizard brooch I found and it was a $600 dollar piece originally. You might want to take a second look.

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most stainless - well, the quality stainless, not pocketknife stainless - is NOT magnetic due to a high nickel / chromium content. This stuff is used in industrial applications, though. At work, most of our products are made with 316SS, and it's not magnetic at all.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very ornate handle! Nice horse pin too!

I was digging what I thought was a silver bracelet out of a hole, nope! Ornate silver spoon! Real nice craftsmanship on some of the silverware.

I hear ya on those "gold" reeded edges! Mine are usually nip bottle caps! Lol!

All that counts is Blingie "likes" the ring!
Would tungsten look like that? They have so many strange metals for rings now, gets confusing.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very ornate handle! Nice horse pin too!

I was digging what I thought was a silver bracelet out of a hole, nope! Ornate silver spoon! Real nice craftsmanship on some of the silverware.

I hear ya on those "gold" reeded edges! Mine are usually nip bottle caps! Lol!

All that counts is Blingie "likes" the ring!
Would tungsten look like that? They have so many strange metals for rings now, gets confusing.

I'm assuming the ring is stainless. I would think that just about any metal , (worth their salt), would be marked in some way. Stainless? Not so much, it's trying to hide as something it ain't. ;) LOL It rang up as a very clear 42 though. That doesn't help though because I have a very nice, big 14kt, gold wedding band that rings up the same. And it has already passed the real acid test. A jeweler's. ;)
(Shhh...don't tell Blingie it's stainless!) Anyone know a way to test for stainless? ;)

The utensil? Pretty sure it's solid silver now. Thanks to taz42o's information posted over on the What Is It forum:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/407382-ornate-utensil-handle.html

Thanks everyone!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that Buff a 1923? Hard to see. I first thought you had half of a shoe pendant in the first pic of the horse. Perspective makes all the difference, doesn't it? You always find a wide variety of relics and that's what keeps it interesting, isn't it?

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that Buff a 1923? Hard to see. I first thought you had half of a shoe pendant in the first pic of the horse. Perspective makes all the difference, doesn't it? You always find a wide variety of relics and that's what keeps it interesting, isn't it?

I know that perspective really comes into play. Especially when our minds are always trying to make every single target fit the shape of a gold coin! LOL

Yeah, 1923 nickel.

The horse thingy though, seems like a pin or maybe hat emblem. Anyone recognize this particular shaped horse pin?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread