A small find but hopefully setting me up for the future

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
A small find but hopefully setting me up for the future - Update at end for Day 3

I was at my local Dunkin Donuts where I go pretty much every day and as the woman at the drive through shut the drawer, I heard the unmistakable sound of large coins. I told her that I would buy them from her sight unseen. I ended up getting a 1971 D Kennedy half and 2, 1978 D Ike dollars, one of which someone engraved the name 'BOB' on. Guess someone was really in need of some coffee. While these aren't anything super, it lets them know that I am interested and hopefully there will be more for me from them in the future.

Last edited:
Upvote 5

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
No mate, that was a C Cell spacer for someones old BOB (battery operated boyfriend).

Seems most plausible for a donut shop.

OP
OP
K

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
As an update to this kind of minor story, I stopped by there again this morning on my way home from work and they had 2 more Ikes in the cash drawer. One was a 1978 D and the other is a 1978 P. I don't know what it is with this guy who has lots of 1978 Ike dollar coins but needs coffee. Needless to say, since I go by there pretty much every day, I will keep checking. Maybe if he gets desperate enough for coffee, he will trade in some Morgans or Peace dollars. :icon_biggrin:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
As an update to this kind of minor story, I stopped by there again this morning on my way home from work and they had 2 more Ikes in the cash drawer. One was a 1978 D and the other is a 1978 P. I don't know what it is with this guy who has lots of 1978 Ike dollar coins but needs coffee. Needless to say, since I go by there pretty much every day, I will keep checking. Maybe if he gets desperate enough for coffee, he will trade in some Morgans or Peace dollars. :icon_biggrin:

Sounds like you found a pretty good deal for now; but if you pull a Morgan that would be really cool.

OP
OP
K

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Day 3 at Dunkin Donuts - Another pair of 1978 Ikes (One P & one D) and another 1971 D Kennedy half. Any bets on whether or not I will get another pair of Ikes tomorrow?

Primus Palus

Apr 3, 2017
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Day 3 at Dunkin Donuts - Another pair of 1978 Ikes (One P & one D) and another 1971 D Kennedy half. Any bets on whether or not I will get another pair of Ikes tomorrow?

I'm going to bet you're on your way to clogged arteries with all those donuts though. Haha. On a side note... never found DDs coffee to be all that amazing. I don't eat the donuts either. Oddly enough the last 10 times or so I've gone there... I've gotten bagels.

OP
OP
K

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't remember the last time I actually bought a donut from DD. I usually just get coffee. I haven't gotten any more coins the past couple days. Apparently I need to come by early in the morning ~5:00 in order to get them. After Thursday morning of this week, I won't be able to get by around then for another month due to my work schedule. Guess I should just be happy with the half dozen Ikes.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't remember the last time I actually bought a donut from DD. I usually just get coffee. I haven't gotten any more coins the past couple days. Apparently I need to come by early in the morning ~5:00 in order to get them. After Thursday morning of this week, I won't be able to get by around then for another month due to my work schedule. Guess I should just be happy with the half dozen Ikes.

Bet your not the only person who figured it out either.

OP
OP
K

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You would think the cashiers would!

To be honest, most of the people who work at this Dunkin Donut are not American by birth. The first time I got an Ike dollar coin from them some months ago, the guy made sure to explain to me that it was indeed a dollar. Guess not everyone has seen them. Here is my total take from the place since I probably won't be able to get back there early in the morning for the next month:

1 - 1977-D Ike
5 - 1978-P Ikes
6 - 1978-D Ikes, including one with the name BOB inscribed on it.

1 - 1967-P Kennedy half - woo hoo!!
3 - 1971-D Kennedys
1 - 1972-D Kennedy

Coins.jpg

Totally unrelated, but I did have a find at the Coinstar machine last night. I saw something round and shiny and got hopeful. Nope, not a silver dime:

Gear.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
For those of you who have been wondering, the dollars and half dollars have continued. I don't get them all the time. It depends on what time of day I go by there and also if the people who know that I want them are working. So far I have gotten a total of 14 halves and 27 dollar coins. It has just been the one 40% half so far and only Ikes for the dollars, but I keep hoping. Here is the breakout:

Halves:
1971D - 3
1972D
1976D - 5
1983D
1989D - 2

Dollars:
1972D - 5
1976D - 3
1977D - 2
1978 - 7
1978D - 9

I only have a few more chances to go there before my shift changes again, but we will see what I can get this week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread