A small find but hopefully setting me up for the future

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
A small find but hopefully setting me up for the future - Update at end for Day 3

I was at my local Dunkin Donuts where I go pretty much every day and as the woman at the drive through shut the drawer, I heard the unmistakable sound of large coins. I told her that I would buy them from her sight unseen. I ended up getting a 1971 D Kennedy half and 2, 1978 D Ike dollars, one of which someone engraved the name 'BOB' on. Guess someone was really in need of some coffee. While these aren't anything super, it lets them know that I am interested and hopefully there will be more for me from them in the future.

Last edited:
Upvote 5
No mate, that was a C Cell spacer for someones old BOB (battery operated boyfriend).

Seems most plausible for a donut shop.

As an update to this kind of minor story, I stopped by there again this morning on my way home from work and they had 2 more Ikes in the cash drawer. One was a 1978 D and the other is a 1978 P. I don't know what it is with this guy who has lots of 1978 Ike dollar coins but needs coffee. Needless to say, since I go by there pretty much every day, I will keep checking. Maybe if he gets desperate enough for coffee, he will trade in some Morgans or Peace dollars. :icon_biggrin:

As an update to this kind of minor story, I stopped by there again this morning on my way home from work and they had 2 more Ikes in the cash drawer. One was a 1978 D and the other is a 1978 P. I don't know what it is with this guy who has lots of 1978 Ike dollar coins but needs coffee. Needless to say, since I go by there pretty much every day, I will keep checking. Maybe if he gets desperate enough for coffee, he will trade in some Morgans or Peace dollars. :icon_biggrin:

Sounds like you found a pretty good deal for now; but if you pull a Morgan that would be really cool.

Day 3 at Dunkin Donuts - Another pair of 1978 Ikes (One P & one D) and another 1971 D Kennedy half. Any bets on whether or not I will get another pair of Ikes tomorrow?

Day 3 at Dunkin Donuts - Another pair of 1978 Ikes (One P & one D) and another 1971 D Kennedy half. Any bets on whether or not I will get another pair of Ikes tomorrow?

I'm going to bet you're on your way to clogged arteries with all those donuts though. Haha. On a side note... never found DDs coffee to be all that amazing. I don't eat the donuts either. Oddly enough the last 10 times or so I've gone there... I've gotten bagels.

I can't remember the last time I actually bought a donut from DD. I usually just get coffee. I haven't gotten any more coins the past couple days. Apparently I need to come by early in the morning ~5:00 in order to get them. After Thursday morning of this week, I won't be able to get by around then for another month due to my work schedule. Guess I should just be happy with the half dozen Ikes.

I can't remember the last time I actually bought a donut from DD. I usually just get coffee. I haven't gotten any more coins the past couple days. Apparently I need to come by early in the morning ~5:00 in order to get them. After Thursday morning of this week, I won't be able to get by around then for another month due to my work schedule. Guess I should just be happy with the half dozen Ikes.

Bet your not the only person who figured it out either.

You would think the cashiers would!

To be honest, most of the people who work at this Dunkin Donut are not American by birth. The first time I got an Ike dollar coin from them some months ago, the guy made sure to explain to me that it was indeed a dollar. Guess not everyone has seen them. Here is my total take from the place since I probably won't be able to get back there early in the morning for the next month:

1 - 1977-D Ike
5 - 1978-P Ikes
6 - 1978-D Ikes, including one with the name BOB inscribed on it.

1 - 1967-P Kennedy half - woo hoo!!
3 - 1971-D Kennedys
1 - 1972-D Kennedy

Coins.jpg

Totally unrelated, but I did have a find at the Coinstar machine last night. I saw something round and shiny and got hopeful. Nope, not a silver dime:

Gear.jpg

Last edited:
For those of you who have been wondering, the dollars and half dollars have continued. I don't get them all the time. It depends on what time of day I go by there and also if the people who know that I want them are working. So far I have gotten a total of 14 halves and 27 dollar coins. It has just been the one 40% half so far and only Ikes for the dollars, but I keep hoping. Here is the breakout:

Halves:
1971D - 3
1972D
1976D - 5
1983D
1989D - 2

Dollars:
1972D - 5
1976D - 3
1977D - 2
1978 - 7
1978D - 9

I only have a few more chances to go there before my shift changes again, but we will see what I can get this week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back