🥇 BANNER A SOLID GOLD THIMBLE!

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Hi everyone,

I haven’t been very active lately but I do look at the finds dug and posted here! I just found something that just have to share with all of you! I was out with Buckleboy who is my husband, and I managed to dig this lovely 1876-S dime! I had never dug an S mint coin so this was my first.

21852FB7-F29F-482D-92FF-FB41637D34DC.jpeg 3C178D62-04CF-4D8E-95E8-BFD86EA14D9D.jpeg

(Buckleboy wasn’t finding anything the whole day long ). It was a long day in some pretty brutal heat. When I got back to the truck I was changing out of my boots and looked over and saw something gold shining right on top of the ground a few feet away! It was a Solid Gold Thimble which had washed out of the ground near where we parked in the field!!

EFBD661E-7A1F-49F8-A409-DCF47CB2DF43.jpeg

When I bent down to pick it up I could see that it was monogrammed! Buckleboy and I looked up the plantation ownership deeds and we figured out who this thimble belonged to! I won’t reveal a specific name due to secrecy of the site we are detecting, but the woman that the thimble belonged to was born in 1841 and married in the late 1850s to a wealthy planter. We imagine that this thimble was a courtship gift, as it bears her maiden name initials and was found at her parents’ plantation home site (now just a sugar cane field with no trace). So that dates this thimble to between 1857 and 1859, depending on the length of their courtship. I’m totally thrilled to dig this beautiful relic. Haven’t seen a gold thimble posted here before. It’s amazing that it survived the plow!

BA35083F-5EEB-4AEC-AE80-E0BF0F5BAD09.jpeg

All cleaned up at home:

IMG_2049.JPG IMG_2050.JPG

This is going to put a smile on my face all week!

F4C65DA2-8DD9-42C5-8575-1752208B9D94.jpeg

-Diggergirl

Last edited:
Upvote 212

Finder Bear

Mar 20, 2019
Newton KS
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is such an amazing find. That is probably the prettiest piece of gold I have seen in quite a while. Even icing on the cake to have the story to go along with it! A true piece of treasure!! Congrats!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggergirl,

This one made banner so quickly and your original post received so many likes from all of us - its a true measure of our admiration and respect for a great find and our appreciation for you posting it so we could enjoy it too.

Thank you again for posting all the pics and for the story behind the thimble. A pity we don't have a banner for your smile. May I suggest that you start that banner at home to share with your family and to remember this great day.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s an amazing find.
Congrats

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just when I think I’ve seen everything on here, you post a beautiful solid gold thimble. And it’s intact. And you’ve figured out its history. Aaand you beat BuckleBoy to it lol! Congrats on making the banner, you deserve it! Wow!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on achieving your first Tnet BANNER diggergrl! :occasion14:
What an incredible find!

Dave

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! I love finding thimbles, silver ones are super cool in my book. But a gold thimble is incredible! Congrats on the awesome banner find!

OP
OP
diggergrl

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Its not only the beauty and rarity of this thimble that make it worthy of banner - but the fact that you did the research to identify the owner and gave us all a good story to enjoy and we can be happy for you. Congrats again!

Thank you so much, Megalodon!

OP
OP
diggergrl

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Jeez and we make such a fuss when someone posts a silver one. Fantastic find, congratulations. I'm giving it banner, too. Let's see it up top folks!

Need to add, move that truck and sweep the entire parking area, now! lol

We have dug every piece of aluminum can shred out of that area :D

OP
OP
diggergrl

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
That's a super cool item. What a great find!

I don't know anything about thimbles, let alone gold ones, but what do you think the number "6" stamped next to the monogram means?

I think it's the size? Not sure, just a guess!

OP
OP
diggergrl

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
With a find such as this gold thimble, I'd imagine that the smile on your face would stretch from one week to weeks on end. That is One Fantastic Find and save, and a personal relic too. You know this was probably a special piece with meaning to the owner. Well Done diggergrl. You and buckleboy head back over to this field. Best of luck to you and Thanks for sharing this with us.

Thank you, devldog!

OP
OP
diggergrl

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Beautiful and rare find, big congrats! I didn't even know these exist, my thought was gold is too soft for this. Might be more a decoration piece to show wealth than intended to use.

Could be!

OP
OP
diggergrl

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
diggergrl that would put a smile on my face all year! I had no clue these even existed. To find something that is obviously a super rare relic....made of gold....beautifully decorated....and tied to somebody specifically from that property....is just amazing. I’m not sure how it gets much better than this. One of my favorite things is to look at Tnet and see something that I never even considered finding. That’s a pretty short list for me but this is squarely on it. Well done and way to show the old hubby how it’s done lol.

we didnt even know these existed either until this one was found! It's been a great year for us digging together!

OP
OP
diggergrl

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Just when I think I’ve seen everything on here, you post a beautiful solid gold thimble. And it’s intact. And you’ve figured out its history. Aaand you beat BuckleBoy to it lol! Congrats on making the banner, you deserve it! Wow!

I have a habit of beating him to finds :D

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good for you! Incredible and beautiful! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread