🥇 BANNER A SOLID GOLD THIMBLE!

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Hi everyone,

I haven’t been very active lately but I do look at the finds dug and posted here! I just found something that just have to share with all of you! I was out with Buckleboy who is my husband, and I managed to dig this lovely 1876-S dime! I had never dug an S mint coin so this was my first.

21852FB7-F29F-482D-92FF-FB41637D34DC.jpeg 3C178D62-04CF-4D8E-95E8-BFD86EA14D9D.jpeg

(Buckleboy wasn’t finding anything the whole day long ). It was a long day in some pretty brutal heat. When I got back to the truck I was changing out of my boots and looked over and saw something gold shining right on top of the ground a few feet away! It was a Solid Gold Thimble which had washed out of the ground near where we parked in the field!!

EFBD661E-7A1F-49F8-A409-DCF47CB2DF43.jpeg

When I bent down to pick it up I could see that it was monogrammed! Buckleboy and I looked up the plantation ownership deeds and we figured out who this thimble belonged to! I won’t reveal a specific name due to secrecy of the site we are detecting, but the woman that the thimble belonged to was born in 1841 and married in the late 1850s to a wealthy planter. We imagine that this thimble was a courtship gift, as it bears her maiden name initials and was found at her parents’ plantation home site (now just a sugar cane field with no trace). So that dates this thimble to between 1857 and 1859, depending on the length of their courtship. I’m totally thrilled to dig this beautiful relic. Haven’t seen a gold thimble posted here before. It’s amazing that it survived the plow!

BA35083F-5EEB-4AEC-AE80-E0BF0F5BAD09.jpeg

All cleaned up at home:

IMG_2049.JPG IMG_2050.JPG

This is going to put a smile on my face all week!

F4C65DA2-8DD9-42C5-8575-1752208B9D94.jpeg

-Diggergirl

Last edited:
Upvote 212

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice rare find - Big CONGRATS, & say hi to Buckleboy.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I cant stop looking at your thimble! My wife and kids are very impressed too. That doesn't normally happen with the stuff I find.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful rarity! Huge CONGRATS!!! :occasion14:

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only seen one such recovery before in my home state of RI. Congrats on an impressive banner find. Your research paid off. A gold thimble is certainly impressive, but a gold thimble dating pre-Civil War is off the charts! :notworthy:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW!
What an impressive, beautiful, unique, (as far as I know), and VERY well deserved recovery and Banner for you!
Big Congratulations and best wishes to you and Buckleboy,
Love those smiles on your faces :hello2::hello::icon_thumright:, Steelheadwill.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The story makes your find just that much more AMAZING!!!!! CONGRATZ on the find and the banner!!!!!!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many of us went about today still thinking about this gold thimble?

Thinking about it more, I'm not so sure such a soft metal would have been suitable for much actual work. I wonder if it was meant to be a decorative object and possibly a family tradition - for either the giver or recipient. I think the next step might be to see if there are any portraits of this young lady and look at them to see if the thimble might be in the portrait. I know that's a long shot, but it would be so cool. If she kept a diary or journal, that might also be interesting for any mention of the thimble (another long shot, I know...).

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet find!
It must have been a servant who lost it because if you were rich enough to own it you probably had someone else doing your sewing!

~Blaze~

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s got to be a BANNER. I’ve never seen any thimble anywhere CLOSE to that, and as far as artifacts go, along with the provenance...BANNER!! You have officially used ALL of your luck for this month and part of nexts....

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too cool! That’s an epic find. So cool you were able to find out so much of the history behind it.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! I love silver thimbles, but gold? Good eye. Congrats, it's a beauty.

...and I would've given the "like" for just the seated dime.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! I have never so much as found an aluminum thimble, let alone an amazing one like yours! Well-deserving of the banner.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple thimble that obviously was an heirloom piece with much love attached in it's making and giving. History is so awesome. Congrats I am glad you spotted it before Buckleboy because it saved him the time in giving it to you.

HH

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw this at the top of the page. What a fantastic find!
Was this very near where the plantation would have been? Wondering how it came to be there.
That has got to be pretty rare. Maybe a wedding gift from the parents.
Does it show any sign of use?
Just amazing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread